You don't have depression!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't have depression!

I am tired of hearing this from people. Seriously. It makes me really angry.

I was diagnosed with depression when I was ten years old. It's been a nine year struggle to deal with. I've learned how to deal with it and how to go on with my life, even when my depression hits me.

My personality is very bubbly, as other people say. I've been told my happiness is contagious. However, people don't see the depressed side of me very often. Very few people have ever seen it. More people only know about it.

However, I get told that I can't possibly have depression because I am not sad all the time and that people can't take control over their lives if they have depression.

Don't tell me what I do and do not have!

If anyone is wondering how I learned how I took control of my life with depression, this is how: I do little things that make me happy or I think of things that make me happy. For a while, I faked my happiness. Eventually, that fakeness took over and I became truly happy. Every once in a while, the depression will come back, mainly if I drink (which I don't do a lot). Sometimes, I will even be in the middle of something I love and the depression will come back.
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post

However, I get told that I can't possibly have depression because I am not sad all the time and that people can't take control over their lives if they have depression.

Don't tell me what I do and do not have!
    Makes me SOOOO angry!!!! Totally feel you on this. I posted a while back about going back on meds but not telling anybody for fear of "failing" at being a normal, happy person. And I also felt guilty when people told me I couldn't possibly be depressed because I have a lot going for me. So that would just isolate me and escalate the problem because I didn't want to talk to anyone about it.

Do what you gotta do and those people who automatically become therapists can piss off

Comment

The reason why people say this is cuz all the whiny teenagers who claim that they're "depressed" when all it is is wangst. They are the ones who deserve your anger, cuz they are cheapening clinical depression by claiming it for themselves. If you are able to function as a human being, then it's not depression. That does not mean being able to take control of your life; it's how you feel inside.

I have much the same sort of anger towards teenagers who claim to self harm and just make chicken scratches on their wrists. The same teens that claim to be "depressed". When I was self harming, I sliced thru arteries on occasion and gave myself permanent scars.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Depression sucks.

I also don't get how thinking fake thoughts would make one truely happy. Isn't that just, well, not real since it wasn't real to begin with? If anything, you just gotten better at being fake happy that it's natural to be fake. It's like a skill that you gotten so good at that your doing it at will.

I've had depression for many, many, many years. Way back in single digit years of my life. I've done many things in attempts to end my life, even back then when I didn't even know what suicide was, I just knew and felt I didn't deserve and want to live, which resulted in wierd acts on my half, like trying to ride my bike down a hill in hopes of being smashed by a car. (which never worked, though it did cause one accident that is stilll burned into my memory).

Doing things that make me happy is very difficult to do, as well, depression is so deep that very little makes me happy, and the things that would make me happy are impossible to do, so it's like, what do I do.

I've had quite a few people scream at me that I'm faking the depression, or that i'm lazy, or various other insults which just makes it worst at times. Add to my history, and current health issues, I really don't see a need or want to live. Who would want to live a life where one cannot walk? One cannot do anything? One that fails at everything he or she does in the end? Well, I'm still alive. More out of fear of another failed attempt means a very long time locked up in a mental award then any other reason.

I'm sure people might be hurt if I did die. But it won't be long. They be over it in a few days, few weeks max.

I'm on medication now for depression, and I'm utttery amazed at the people that can just fake being happy to get out of their own depression. Ether it's a incredible strength of character that they just willed themselves out of depression, or they just never had depression, (or just a very light form of it, as compared to far worst cases). THose that can get out of depression like that tend to be very caring and understanding, as compared to those that fake depression or never had it being uncaring and not understanding at all towards those that do have it.
        Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
        I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Working...
        X