Work Schedules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Schedules!

I missed work today because I misread my schedule and thought I had the day off. I called to explain and I'll understandably get a NCNS on my record, and I do claim full responsibility for not realizing my mistake sooner (last night would have been nice!). However, I can't help but wonder if this would happen less, as I'm not the first offender, if the damn workplaces would put an employee on a steady schedule and LEAVE them there. I fail to see how flopping a person from 2nd shift for a couple days, then putting them back on first, then mid-shift, then first, then back to third, has any positive effect on their work performance and productivity. Also constantly changing and splitting days off doesn't help, either. If each person could say something like "OK, I'm on the 3-11 shift and am off on X days each week."

Nevermind the fact I have coworkers in departments who actually work more hours then me, but get 3 days off a week, where I only get two because some genius thinks I like using gas to work two four hour shifts instead of one 8 hour shift.

And I can't lay the blame on my company, as much as people would like to bash it, because I've heard the same shenanigans from CNAs, nurses, you name it. Who on earth suddenly decided it would be a good idea to schedule like this? UGH!
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

I always hated that jumping around too. I think the worst was when I worked at the convenience store. Within the same week I would work graveyard one day, night shift another, mid shift another day, and day shift another. It got to the point I couldn't tell up from down. Would have been so much easier if they would have just stuck me on a shift and left me there.

Comment

I have trouble getting my sleep scheduled properly with a consistent nights schedule. I couldn't imagine having to work around that, let alone with a second job.

Comment

Where I work I've always been on a 3 week rota
        monday - sunday
        monday tuesday off
        wednesday - tuesday
        wednesday, thursday, saturday and sunday off (with the odd friday anual leave)
        rince and repeat

When I first started I used to do 6-5 at the latest, sometimes 4, then as the work started to mount up with new contracts that time got to about 7
        I can't remember when, but we started splitting the shift between 6-2 and 9-job done and I spent almost a year on the 9-done shift, least it got me out of cleaning the floor, that was the early shift responsibility (when the guy doing it could be bothered that is)
        then some bright spark in the office decided that whomever is late should be early the next day to keep all cockups limited to as fewer people as possible
        great, so i knew the floor would only be cleaned on my earlies, then we got a new contract that needed 2 people in the room and a shift start of 11, well which of us should be dumped down to mornings then? especially as the contract was larger than we expected and finishing times were now 9.
        best option involved having 3 people tripping over each other to get the 3 runs done instead of spliiting the 3rd and weve mostly been week here week there instead of yoyoing around like we could have been.

but i really hated the morning/late aspect of the rota when it was in efect, the late I might as well go right to bed on as I would be up early and the early, even though i finished at 2 would sometimes be over as soon as I got into my room as I'd invariably fall asleep in my chair
        Last edited by Ginger Tea; 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I don't know why... but when I was making schedules, I would, for a while, copy the current week over to the new one and then make minor adjustments here and there to cover things like asks-off, new hires/terminations, change in expected business, etc. Until the higher-ups caught on and told me I *must* start over from scratch every week.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

That's about how scheduling is done at the library, too - althought it HAS gotten better as far as being regular, these are just a few of the gripes which I had with "flexible" scheduling:

- when my daughter was in an after-school program, I had to pay for the entire week (and it was NOT cheap) because I never knew which days/afternoons I would have off from the library.

- as it got to where I needed to find a second job, it was hard to list availability because the library didn't provide set hours, and apparently expected the second job to work around that. (fortunately, the church office has set hours, thus that isn't a problem right now)

Comment

I actually prefer a flexi shift, personally; I've experienced both a fixed shift and flexi, and flexi means that I can ask for a day off in the week if I need to; fixed shifts means that if said day isn't my set day off, I have to book it off as holiday or go thru the rigmarole of trying to persuade a fellow staff member to swap shifts.

My main issue with scheduling at the moment is cuz someone chose to drop us in it and bugger off to another job, we're all having to work weekends. -.-
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I don't know why... but when I was making schedules, I would, for a while, copy the current week over to the new one and then make minor adjustments here and there to cover things like asks-off, new hires/terminations, change in expected business, etc. Until the higher-ups caught on and told me I *must* start over from scratch every week.
                It's efficient and makes sense, and that's just not right.

Comment

I used to work a near-fixed schedule of M-F of, say, 10-4 and had the weekend off with slight ajustments here and there. It was like that for almost a year or so, before things just went bonkers. Now I don't know which days I'm going to have off next, which days I'm going to close, which days I'm working day, and all that good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X