Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who post in horrid colors

Just an FYI

When someone is not using the default forum theme with bright green text (WHY) and you post in what you think is a nice-looking color it looks like this:

I hope no one who does this posts anything important because I can't be bothered to highlight this shit all the time.

That is all.

Geez. I'm sorry, is this better? The only reason I don't post in the dark red here like I do on CS.com is because people were starting to complain that it was difficult to see against the dark background, and the green while somewhat easier to see kinda irritates me. So I switched to yellow, and I'm still getting hitched at about the font color.
    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

somewhere in the user options you can change the board colors...and its not a dark color scheme. i've got the default or blue theme going so i can see/read better
      Under Edit Options allllll the way down at Forum Skins. Bog Skin. very similar to cs.com skin theme
      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

It's not really a big deal if a handful of people choose a different colour though, is it? I mean, it's not like every post is unreadable.

I use the default scheme as well, so yellow text is difficult to see. But I usually just highlight the text with my mouse. I wouldn't do it for every post, but for the few that are unreadable, I don't mind that much.

Comment

I have the black background and green text. I can read the yellow text. I like it. I'm thinking of going with a text color that is different that the green.

So there.
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I should be able to post in whatever color I want. This is the last time I'm changing my font color on here, who ever has a problem with this one I really won't care it's not my problem. It should be readable on both backgrounds black and white.
            Last edited by Sarah Valentine; 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM.
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Readable, yes, but painful.

(and, while it's vaguely up for discussion, I LIKE the default theme here. What irritates me are sites set to gray text on a white background: it looks nicer at first glance than black, but hurts my eyes to read for any length of time.)
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Meh I don't see a problem with it really. I mean so what if you have to highlight something. It's not like you have to do it all the time.
                Last edited by RavenStarr; 09-06-2010, 04:44 PM.
                If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

Personally, if there is a member here who has a habit of posting in colours I can't read, in fonts I can't decipher, in formatting that makes my eyes hurt or with a lack of grammar that makes their content illegible, I just don't bother trying to read it at all. I will skip over their posts. I am on this forum for leisure and curiosity's sake. I am not being paid to try to decode things I can't understand, and if it's done so often that it is that annoying, I am not going to bother.

Comment

Yeah. Way to be harsh to Sarah, Jack.

Your here to have fun and read to your lesiure and to debate.

Guess what? So is Sarah. If she writes in a different color, you have two choices.

Ether don't read it, or highlight. Pretty simple really. People that post different colors are not doing it to be annoying, or what they have to say is less important, it's a different color font. I mean, OMG! Don't assume that since you don't use the default color sceme, that no-one else does. Don't assume that people must comform to your color scheme just because your too lazy to read it. We're not here to kiss your ass and make it easy, we're here to debate.
                    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I actually prefer green on black. It is easier on the eyes. But if someone posts in another color, it doesn't hurt me to highlight. Just take a few seconds. But to each, their own

Comment

Personally I actually like the goldenrod as it is easier on my eyes.. I have a horrid time with the white forums because of my eyes. Even though the doctors swear my eyes are 2020 but i have a hard time because I have a hard time focusing. So most forums if I can have dark I do. Any text that I cant read I just Highlight since everyone should have the option of choosing their colors.

If it is something that I cant read I either highlight it or skip it. After all it is the poster's choice right... I mean that the owner of the board if they so chose could say everyone gets a neon green back ground with lilac colored font.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies. It seems there's been a misunderstanding, though. I'm not saying no one has the right to set their font color to whatever they want. The feature is there so obviously they do. I also didn't mean to single out Sarah, though her post was the one that triggered this thread. This is why I didn't include anything but the post itself in the screenshot. The pet peeve is long-standing.

My point was to mention irritation at people who do this, because either they failed to consider the other forum styles, or they know about them and don't care. While I can't make anyone care, I can make people aware that their posts won't always look so nice as they think they do if they choose to deviate from the default text color, and that if they do so, they may find that some people haven't read their posts due even to the small additional effort required.

"Just an FYI."

P.S. "shit" was meant as an unnecessary synonym for "stuff", not to imply that anyone who posts in odd colors posts shit.

Comment

I agree with Jack. One forum that I post on has a pale pink background. Anyone who posts with white or pale pink font makes it impossible for their posts to be read, and anyone who posts in cyan or yellow makes it painful to read.

I don't see why the opinion of "if you don't like it, don't read it or highlight it" works. What if I put something offensive in my signature, or had an obscene picture for my avvie? Could say the same; "If you don't like my sig/av, then don't read it/look at it."

For the record, goldenrod shows up nicely against the green, but the blue is a bit painful on the eyes. O_o
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Honestly, my personal opinion is that color tags should only be used for emphasis (unless the site owner has no aesthetic sense and did something inane like pick a midnight blue on black default color scheme). I know this isn't why everyone does it, but to me, someone posting in a non-default color screams "special snowflake!" to me. Maybe it's just all my time on IRC channels with +C (strip color codes) set, though.
                              "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                              A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Working...
                              X