Drama Affecting Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
    You're jumping to that conclusion all on your own.

I believe that we said that we would not go "above and beyond" without an incentive. At no point have we said that we're going to slack off and refuse to fulfill our job requirements.
    Actually, I think TG said she'd do the "bare minimum" which is slacking off in my book.

If I helped my manager decrease her workload any more, she'd be able to laze about in a hammock all day.

Sometimes decreasing your superior's workload just puts you in a position to get taken advantage of by more mercenary-minded people.
    But weren't you the ones calling your work mindset "mercenary"? If so, would you be the one to take advantage of someone doing extra work, like myself, or would you try to help them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
      But weren't you the ones calling your work mindset "mercenary"? If so, would you be the one to take advantage of someone doing extra work, like myself, or would you try to help them?
      Of course not. But that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

You just have to be careful. I don't believe that lessening someone else's workload at the expense of your own is always a good thing.

Comment

Actually, I think TG said she'd do the "bare minimum" which is slacking off in my book.
        This is something I run into at work regularly.

See, I can input order lines pretty damned quickly at work. Our KPI is about the 1500 mark per day. In the seven working hours of a full day, that's roughly one item every twenty seconds.

I can break two thousand and not sweat about it. My record's in the 2400 mark, but I'm pretty certain I could beat that again.

There are people who get on the rota in the sales ordertaking team who take their time, laze about, don't respond to requests from the switchboard person for available people on phone lines, and so forth. Some of them are lucky if they break 1000.

I work my arse off. They don't.

Who are the idiots? The ones who don't work hard and enjoy themselves, or the ones stressing to get the job done and carrying the lazy ones?

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

not really-at my last job we had a quota to meet-I easily surpassed it(did double or more consistently), we had another girl doing the same job she had some learning disabilities and could just barely make quota. She was by no means "slacking off" She worked just as hard, if not harder than I did, it was just easier for me.

on another contract we also had a quota-I had mine met by monday or tuesday at the latest, problem was there was only a set amount of work for the team to complete, so if I didn't "slack off" as you so aptly put it no one else on the team would've had any work, and we all would've been sitting around doing nothing by wednesday. My boss used to refer to me as his "creative slacker"-I did my work, and various "special projects" that didn't "count" as quota work-"work smarter, not harder"
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            not really-at my last job we had a quota to meet-I easily surpassed it(did double or more consistently), we had another girl doing the same job she had some learning disabilities and could just barely make quota. She was by no means "slacking off" She worked just as hard, if not harder than I did, it was just easier for me.
            Nice straw-man there. She wasn't doing the "bare minimum" because she was doing the job as efficiently as she could. If someone without learning disabilities is deliberately working slow, then they are doing their "bare minimum" and not doing their job correctly.

All I'm hearing are excuses. No conclusive responses or ideas.

Comment

When I worked at Wal-Mart, I went "above and beyond." I helped out in other departments. I got trained on the front registers and helped out up there, even though it wasn't in my job description. I helped bring carts in from the parking lot when needed. Etc. etc. etc.

Big mistake on my part.

In short, they ran my ass off. They took advantage of my helpful nature. They took advantage of the fact that I rarely ever complained about anything. And to break the camel's back, they once gave me an oral coaching because I wasn't getting my work done in my department---all because I was on the registers and doing stuff in other departments, just like they asked me to.

As a result, I've become a little jaded on this "team player" stuff. However, I still do as much as I can in my present job. For example, even though I'm the librarian at the college, I still help out with student services from time to time. I've even proctored an exam. They did get my transcripts from college and grad school to see what courses I am qualified to teach. My dad keeps urging me to look into that, but I'm leery. I would kind of like to get some teaching experience. However, I'm concerned that if I do start doing that, I might end up having to teach two or three classes on top of running the library. I don't think this school would do that to me, but still, after what happened at Sam Walton's company, I'm a little scarred.

Comment

I resent the notion that people who aren't exactly "Team Players" (please note that I use it as a degrading term, not the term it was meant to mean) are slackers or people with constant piss poor attitudes.

Attitude is really all about perception. Think of all the posts on CS about how unfair a lot of work places are. That's a "bad attitude" according to most in management, who are punishing good employees and turning blind eyes to worthless ones. In reality, it's venting and having a poor and low opinion of your boss or coworkers.

I'm nowhere near a slacker. I refuse to give up a paid holiday off to come in to work and make straight pay, but when I am at work on my regular schedule and my required overtime, I work. And I work like I always do. I never slack just because I'm mad at the most recent cutback or bad news from the higher ups. No matter how angry I may get with others, I don't fall back and sink to their level. I just refuse to go above and beyond because I have before and look where it has gotten me. I do my own job and cover my own ass and help my coworkers if they ask of my help. I do not sacrifice days off for straight pay unless it's made mandatory (even then I may rebel actually) and I do not in any way help "bail out" the higher ups of idiot decisions. In all reality, these "Team Players" constantly working holidays and every time someone whines that their shift isn't getting any help, they are just encouraging those retards in suits to keep over-booking and taking in every sale, and making the whole situation worse, and we'll be behind in production forever.

Comment

Working...
                X