"Low Rider"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Low Rider"

I hate this song. I find it obnoxious and monotonous.

So why is it I hear it on the classic rock station 2-3 times a day, EVERY FRIKKEN DAY?? It seems whenever I turn on the station I can expect to hear it within an hour.

Here's a link to the song, expect it to be stuck in your mind more than if someone played "It's a Small World".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Ok

I think it's a dumb song too, but I'm amazed at the rage it provokes in people. You aren't even close to being the first person I've heard express hatred for this song.

Like I said, I think it's a stupid song, but I could name a dozen far worse ones off the top of my head.

Comment

A good reason why the song is so popular (and awesome in my opinion) is because of its celebration of Chicano culture. It was released in 75, and even though there had been Chicano music before (Johnny & Santos, Rene & Rene, Sunny Ozuna etc.) it epitomized a singular aspect of Chicano culture, the Lowrider, and celebrated it. A good reason why it's popular is it's rythmic bass and utilization of trumpets reminiscent of more traditional Hispanic music.

Comment

just change some of the lines to "my mate marmite"

Comment

I always wondered who sung that song. I knew the melody and some lyrics, but never the artist. Now I know. That song is tolerable to me. I listen to whatever is good...except for country and doo-wop. I like rap/hip-hop, but lately it's been going down the tubes. So yeah, as long as I don't hear that song under heavy rotation, I'm okay.
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
            I always wondered who sung that song.
            I have a cover by quango quango or something like that from some random compilation CD

I listen to whatever is good. So yeah, as long as I don't hear that song under heavy rotation, I'm okay.
            The radio stations we have at work kill any song for me due to heavy rotation, when it was new, no doubt's cover of "It's my life" always seemed to be playing when I would leave the radio less picking room (giant fridge) so when I was in one pub and it came on the juke box, I damn near smashed it, now I hardly hear it unless I play it, its great again, but afaik they only play "Don't speak" now and I REALLY hate having to listen to that song 10+ years later (14 iir)

Comment

I actually like the song. It's catchy. Now, 'Santeria' by Sublime, on the other hand, makes me want to smash the jukebox in at work.
              This space for rent.

Comment

Santeria is okay, but I do know places and people that play it excessively. Also, I can't stand Sugarland's "Stay" for the same reason.

Comment

You're a lot more tolerant than I am, then. I can't stand most country, period.

Okay, a couple of Johnny Cash songs and Garth Brooks's 'The Thunder Rolls', but that's about it.
                  This space for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedOmega View Post
                    You're a lot more tolerant than I am, then. I can't stand most country, period.

Okay, a couple of Johnny Cash songs and Garth Brooks's 'The Thunder Rolls', but that's about it.
                    As the song says, "Thank God I'm a country boy!"

Comment

I personally love *sarcasm* how they took away our beloved hard rock station because our lovely Valley needed more variety, so they set up a battery operated box type of station, and then added somewhat newer rock (read: like early 90s Metallica and maybe Three Doors Down) to another already existing classic rock station.

Variety? All I hear all day is AC/DC, Low Rider, and Roxannnnnnne.

Comment

The only song that was killed for me by overplaying was probably "Friends in Low Places." I think I heard that hourly the entire summer I worked fast food.

The music is too quiet at Kroger, and I don't recognize most of the songs they play, so I'm not bothered by it so much. Though I did enjoy when Foghat or The Animals popped up in the rotation, which were once every day or two at best for a while. Haven't heard them for weeks now, at least.

Only thing in the rotation that inspires rage is a "Hoops & Yoyo" commercial that shows up about every half hour. I get really tired of hearing those two's incoherent shouting.
                        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                          A good reason why the song is so popular (and awesome in my opinion) is because of its celebration of Chicano culture. It was released in 75, and even though there had been Chicano music before (Johnny & Santos, Rene & Rene, Sunny Ozuna etc.) it epitomized a singular aspect of Chicano culture, the Lowrider, and celebrated it. A good reason why it's popular is it's rythmic bass and utilization of trumpets reminiscent of more traditional Hispanic music.

It was also made popular in the Cheech & Chong movie "Up In Smoke."

Frankly, I love that song . . . it's got a good beat to it that I can headbang to.

Now why am I hit with a sudden urge to watch Cheech & Chong movies all night?
                          If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Working...
                          X