Football season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football season...

I have nothing against football, it's just not my thing. I won't even get into how I think it is the only sport where one minute left in the game means it'll still be going 30 minutes later.

What I hate is that once the season starts every Friday, most radio stations have to talk about what the local team (and some other teams) need to do to win in their NFL and college games. Everyone who calls in is an expert.

Then, Monday morning it's non-stop again. Oh, they did this wrong, why didn't they do that, I would have done better, how come they did this, they suck, they rock, they are on their way to the playoffs, over-analysis of every little play, etc.

You don't have this with other sports, they'll go down the local scores and maybe get into a great game or a great poly but that's it.

Originally posted by draggar View Post
    You don't have this with other sports, they'll go down the local scores and maybe get into a great game or a great poly but that's it.
    How many other major sports play once a week and only have 16 regular season games?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      How many other major sports play once a week and only have 16 regular season games?
      Yeah, I get that and I can see people acting this way with big games, playoffs, etc.. but come on, is there nothing else to talk about on Fridays, Mondays, and sometimes even Tuesday spillovers??

Comment

You get just as much talk over baseball (depending, I suppose, on who you're listening to). It's just that it doesn't seem like it because it's divided among more games.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah, I get that and I can see people acting this way with big games, playoffs, etc.. but come on, is there nothing else to talk about on Fridays, Mondays, and sometimes even Tuesday spillovers??
          Other than drinking? Not really.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The one main thing I dislike about football is when Fox hypes the hell out of a new episode of a show, only to have the Sunday NFL game overflow and preempt it. Hey, Fox, you have FX that you can throw the shows on...or a whole network called FoxSportsNet you can air the games on. Or, even, nowadays, make your affiliates have a .2 that is for those situations.

Comment

Every summer, tennis ruins my soap for two weeks.

I'd love to put Days of our Lives on ESPN and see what the jockstraps say about that.

Comment

Get excited blas! Football season is back and since the Packers are one of the favorites, you're especially doomed to hear about them!

Comment

I'll agree that it's the commentating that makes football annoying. I have nothing against people getting excited about the local team playing, and the fun times and food with friends that comes with it. But it seems like you listen to a bunch of sports pundits for 90 minutes before and after each game, not to mention special programs and big chunks of the local news dedicated to it as well. Enough already.
                  A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    Every summer, tennis ruins my soap for two weeks.

I'd love to put Days of our Lives on ESPN and see what the jockstraps say about that.
                    They'd better air the last episodes of "As The World Turns." Mom's been watching it for as long as she's had television, and it would be horribly unfair for them to decide not to air the end.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Football? Oh, you mean handegg. XXD

Seriously, I love football or as you call it, soccer. At the moment, the trials and tribulations of our national football team is like a non stop reality show. XD
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        Football? Oh, you mean handegg. XXD

Seriously, I love football or as you call it, soccer. At the moment, the trials and tribulations of our national football team is like a non stop reality show. XD
                        Don't ya'll deport people if they DON'T like soccer?

*ducks and runs away*

Kidding aside, I love my Bengals. Love 'em. Was a season ticket holder before we built the new stadium and could no longer afford them...but even *I* sometimes get sick of the non stop BS talk.

On the other hand, NHL hockey is a close second favorite of mine - and NO ONE HERE where I live likes or even understands the game, so it's a lonely existence.

Comment

you don't have this with other sports,
                          *cough*nhl*cough*:d

Comment

I hate football season because of all the screaming. When I am at school, I am surrounded by Packer fans. No matter what dorm hall I'm in, there will be screaming at the tv.

"So McD, just go home to get away from the noise."

That doesn't work either, unfortunately.

When I am at home, I have to deal with my mother screaming at the Bears on tv.

Seriously? Is that necessary? One, they can't hear you. Two, do you honestly think you can do better? Try having a 300-400 pound muscle guy charging at you. During football season, all of a sudden, my mother is an expert at the game.

However, if I get emotional over Supernatural, then I am the weirdo.
                            "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
                              However, if I get emotional over Supernatural, then I am the weirdo.
                              Football is real, Supernatural is fake. Hence the difference.

Where I live it is almost all Packers, Bears, Colts and Rams on the TV, but one does not see a lot of Rams fans here. There are more Cowboys or Eagles fans here with some Vikings fans thrown in.

I can understand the Packers and Vikings (big rivals with the Bears), and the Cowboys are God's Team, but the Eagles? That's kind of odd.

Comment

Working...
                              X