Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unneeded Changes to Video Games...

when converted to a portable system.

I borrowed by brothers DS to play mario 64. Though I've played the game as a kid, I never owned an N64, so this would have been my first official time playing this classic game. While the conversion still looks like a great game (aside from the assness of the controls), I have to ask, WHY THE HELL AM I PLAYING AS YOSHI AT THE START OF THE GAME?!?!?!?! From what I've read, I have to find Mario with Yoshi to be able to play as him (I also gotta find Luigi and Wario). Sure, it's a cool idea to be able to play as other mario characters, but it would have been nice to have a choice in the matter instead of starting you out as Yoshi. I want to be Mario damn it!

I've seen this happen with gameboy advanced games too, although those changes are pretty minor in comparison (and were usually just added features that didn't change the game) What's wrong with just keeping the game as it was? They already had the design for one of the greatest games of all time, and could have easily made a portable version without the changes, but they did and it's not as good. Why Nintendo Why?

Eh. In the n64 all you had was Mario.

I was confused too by the new deals, and there more to it then just the new characters, but ya get use to it, and get back with Mario very quickly.
    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Well, for starters, it gives someone who already *has* the original a reason to buy the new edition

The only thing like this I've played was a version of Super Mario Bros. 2 made for, I think, Game Boy Advance. Though I don't remember all the changes, Mario saying "mama mia!" whenever he died got old FAST. Mecha-birdo was an interesting addition, though. Oh, and, while it may be a minor annoyance to some, the fact that the field of view was smaller (I don't mean screen size) messed me up repeatedly.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

As I said, the new characters are a nice addition, and so are other add ons, but it should be a choice who you play as. That way, you'd still have the new characters, but you can still start out as Mario as you did in the old one.

Surprisingly, some amazon reviewers complained about the portable conversion because it was "just the same old mario 64". Well duh! What do you expect? Aren't the new characters enough of a change? Any more changes and the game would be just another Mario game.

Comment

I've never been terribly crazy about the idea of Mario 64 on such a small screen to begin with.

The n64's expansive environments just don't do it for me on anything smaller than a thirty-two inch screen.
          The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

I hate how they gave Link a "voice" for the GBA version of A Link To The Past.
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
              I hate how they gave Link a "voice" for the GBA version of A Link To The Past.
              Oh that did get annoying, especially with the grunts every time he got hit. But man what a great game. It was the only Zelda game I've played, but it did get me introduced to the series, and what a great way to be introduced.

The award for most annoying gameboy voice goes to Diddy Kong in the Donkey Kong series. Every time he'd fall in a hole and die, he'd make this sound that could only be described as something a constipated horse might make.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                Though I don't remember all the changes, Mario saying "mama mia!" whenever he died got old FAST.
                On the other hand, I've always loved Peach's "Oooh, yeah!" when she completed a level. It sounded so.. naughty.

Come to think of it, I don't think I own too many coverted videogames that have differing content. I would love to play the original version of SEGA's Revenge of Shinobi where you get to fight Spider-man, Batman, the Terminator, and Godzilla!
                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Probably the only thing I own that's a port to handheld is FF Tactics: War of the Lions, which made a few changes/additions all of which were full of WIN at least in my opinion.
                  All units: IRENE
                  HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I almost forgot about that one. It was better than the original, yay Cloud. Another game that needed a makeover was KH Chain of memories, it looks so much better on the PS2.
                    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
                    X