open letter to a pet owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open letter to a pet owner

I'm the "heartless bastard" (as you no doubt are referring to me), that ran over your "beloved family pet". So "beloved" was this poor scared animal that you couldn't be bothered to actually look after it and keep it safe from harm. I'm sure it was like a child to you, which is why when it whined to go outside you couldn't bear to keep it "cooped up" because "it needed to roam". I'm sure when your two year old wants to play with the pretty shiny kitchen knives you allow that as well, because you couldn't bear to hear them whine.

Oh it's different with your "beloved pet" because it's "street smart"? No it's just been lucky, until now. Your pet does not understand what a car or bicycle is, or that they are dangerous. They cower and hope the "threat" passes them by unnoticed. Which works for a larger predator, not so much for a vehicle. Most pets are hit because they think that after the lights have passed it's safe, and they run under or into the vehicle(hence the "jerks who don't even stop"-they don't know they hit anything, most people can't see under their car).

Your cat was dark, and bike lights are not meant to illuminate the road, they are more for safety, to be visible to cars. I did not see your Grey Cat cowering in the road until I was literally on top of it, I ran over it's back with my front tire, causing possible internal and spinal injuries, which it may succumb to, I don't know. I do know that if I had been driving a car, it would not be merely injured, it would be very dead.

This "heartless bastard" spent 30 minutes looking for your "beloved pet" so I could get it medical attention, while you were safe and sound in bed, not knowing or caring that your "beloved pet" was injured and quite possibly dying. I did not have any luck finding it, and my husband had less luck trying to get me to stop crying because I had possibly/probably injured an animal.

But go ahead and blame me for the death of your "beloved family pet", lest you actually have to take some responsibility for your actions that caused this totally preventable incident, and feel remorseful. Or if you like you can delude yourself further, and remove all guilt/responsibility/remorse from yourself when your "beloved pet" fails to return home....you can tell yourself that "someone must have taken it". It's so much better than "maybe I shouldn't have let it out where it may have gotten killed by another animal or a vehicle, or tortured by a bored sociopath......"

at 4:15 am I ran over someone's cat while biking to work, spent 30 minutes looking for it with no luck, called my husband told him to be on standby with the cat carrier in case I found it. Spent the next two hours almost inconsolable. And I know if the cat was injured and did or didn't make it home, the owner of the animal would blame me, a total stranger, rather than own up to the fact that if they actually loved and cared for their animal, it would not have been in a situation where it could be hit by a vehicle. Too easy to blame someone else and project one's own responsibility onto someone else. It wasn't my cat, I had no responsibility to it at all. Not my job to keep it safe, yet I still feel horrible. I feel bad that an innocent animal had to suffer due to a human's stupidity or selfishness. That human took on the responsibility of caring for an animal, that is not just a "when I feel like it/when it's convenient to me" responsibility.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    I feel bad that an innocent animal had to suffer due to a human's stupidity or selfishness. That human took on the responsibility of caring for an animal, that is not just a "when I feel like it/when it's convenient to me" responsibility.
    I let my cat Pepper out, usually because there's not a lot of space for her and she is pretty good about staying on the property. I am not stupid, nor selfish.

Comment

How do you know it was a pet and not a stray? Did you see tags on it when you hit it?

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
        How do you know it was a pet and not a stray? Did you see tags on it when you hit it?

because it is illegal in my fair city to let your cat out without a leash-the "owners" normally don't have tags on them-they get huge fines-but it did have a flea collar on.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Oh hun that is awful... *hugs*

This is why I do not let my cats go out side.. EVER. I hate pet owners that let their animals loose because they can not be bothered to walk them or in the case of cats to clean their boxes.

I am sorry that you had to be hurt because some fuckwad couldn't be bothered to watch their pets.

Comment

I'm sorry you had do deal with that, from what you said the owner(s) shouldn't have a pet in the first place if they are not going to make sure it's safe.
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

That sucks....sorry to hear about your accident.

However I want to say that I let my cats out so they can get some exercise....when they are forced to stay inside they get none and get fat. And I still have to clean their litter box daily....so I sure don't avoid work but doing that.

If I had a dog I would walk him ...but I know dogs are more work which I don't want to do so therefore I don't have one.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm personally sick of dodging people's cats in the road. Just because it can't be cooped up all day? Uh, my dog does just fine hanging in the house all day. I come home at lunch to let him out in our fenced in backyard really quick. He only gets out in our fenced in backyard. I don't see what's the big deal about fencing your animal in. Just seems lazy.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post

However I want to say that I let my cats out so they can get some exercise....when they are forced to stay inside they get none and get fat.
                  I let my cat Pepper out, usually because there's not a lot of space for her and she is pretty good about staying on the property. I am not stupid, nor selfish.
                  I rented a room at a house on the side of a very busy highway. It was also one where trucks frequented and it was dangerous enough for me to walk up and down it in the wet and slippery weather even if I hugged the side of the road.

My roommate never let his cats out because of how dangerous the roads were.

Bottom line is, the OP is probably right in that the owner would no doubt have blamed her for any damage their "beloved" pet caused.

I still live with the guilt that my brothers and I chased one of our cats into the road when I was seven. It wasn't our intention to get him killed, but I saw it happening and I can't erase it from my memory. It doesn't matter how it happened, what matters is that I can't even pretend it wasn't our fault.
                  The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
                    Oh hun that is awful... *hugs*

This is why I do not let my cats go out side.. EVER. I hate pet owners that let their animals loose because they can not be bothered to walk them or in the case of cats to clean their boxes.
                    My cats don't go outside either. Too many people drive like idiots on my street. The posted speed limit is only 25mph for about 99.9% of the borough. Yet, it's not unheard of for cars to be doing well over 40. Never mind that there are kids around, lots of blind corners, plus the school, park, etc. Oh, and most of my neighbors have dogs.

It's not like Sally & Baxter don't get exercise. They get plenty--chasing each other around, playing with their toys, and chasing around the ghost kitty (Snow) as well.

Comment

For those who "have to" let their cats out of doors

Here are some products that will keep them safer, maybe, hopefully

I have 2 cats. Both of them are clawed & both are INDOOR cats only.

Kyra, my girl, is skinny - weighs roughly 8-10 pounds.
                      Darwin, my boy, is larger - weighs roughly 15 pounds.
                      He's part Maine Coon. They are a larger type of cat. It's genetic that he's "fat", not because he's an indoor cat.
                      Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I'm very sorry this happened to you, BK. It had to be heartbreaking.

You did everything you could, though.

Comment

My cat goes outside; however, she is firstly a very shy and homeloving cat (due to her "pleasent" previous owners who beat and neglected her) and secondly, she lives with my parents who live in a very quiet cul-de-sac with no traffic. However, she very rarely leaves the back garden, unless it's to visit the front garden.

Also, while I own it must be very upsetting to hit an animal, (I once hit a squirrel and was really upset... and that was a wild animal, not a pet) your letter seems a bit confrontational. Why assume that the pet is unloved, just cuz it's out in the streets? If you'd hit a child, would you assume the same? Not everyone who lets a cat out is lazy and selfish.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                            My cats don't go outside either. Too many people drive like idiots on my street. The posted speed limit is only 25mph for about 99.9% of the borough. Yet, it's not unheard of for cars to be doing well over 40. Never mind that there are kids around, lots of blind corners, plus the school, park, etc. Oh, and most of my neighbors have dogs.

It's not like Sally & Baxter don't get exercise. They get plenty--chasing each other around, playing with their toys, and chasing around the ghost kitty (Snow) as well.
                            I will admit where I grew up our cats and dog had free roam.. the only reason for this is the road was like a mile away and the dog never left the property and neither did the cats and the cats loved to hunt in the barn and fields.

Now my cats Peekaboo, Jade, and Puck never go outside as here in Michigan I live on a busy BUSY road. While I do still have possums in my yard as well as Bunnies (may the people who released them get boils on their nether parts), raccoons etc.. It is far yo dangerous to let the cats out although a neighbor lets their small dog out and the other day it almost got hit as well as cause a pile up

Comment

BlaqueKatt, you're very lucky you weren't seriously injured yourself. You could have been thrown from your bike into traffic. I'm glad you're okay.

Wandering pets can be a serious safety hazard to drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X