breast cancer vs heart disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breast cancer vs heart disease

nothing against the breast cancer fundraisers except that....

sometimes i feel it detracts from other valid medical issues.

such as the fact that women are MORE LIKELY to contract heart disease.

so... like in "do you like boob" thread @ CS...

if someone had asked me that I would have been tempted to say:

"I donate to the American Heart foundation. Women are more likely to suffer from that."

and if she continued....
    "Do you like women's breasts more than their hearts?"

but that's just me.
    at times i feel the donation thing has turned more into a "you hate women if you don't donate" mentality.

I agree 100%

to add on to your rant-men also get breast cancer.

and to be totally honest, as a woman I'm more likely to donate to a charity that funds research for testicular cancer-not because I like to look at them, but because the age at which most men find out they have it, testicular cancer is the most common cancer between the ages of 20 to 34, the second most common cancer between the ages of 35 to 39, and the third most common cancer between the ages of 15 to 19.

How many cases of breast cancer are in 15-19 year olds?
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
      You'd be surprised.

I think the biggest issue with breast cancer is prevention - making sure women of all ages are getting their yearly pap test/boob exam, doing monthly self-checks, and getting annual mammograms at age 40 (30 if you're high risk). I've been encouraged by some of the latest treatments, and it seems like mastectomies will soon be a thing of the past. That will greatly help with the emotional aspect of breast cancer.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001. Those heart disease adverts kinda piss me off ("My sister did her annual mammograms, but she didn't watch her cholesterol and now she's DEAD"). Yes, heart disease is a killer of women (and men). Breast cancer is ALSO a killer of women (and men). Even if you survive, that will be after rounds of chemo that will make you violently ill and bald, with the possibility of losing your breasts-the very signal of femininity. Please don't patronize breast cancer, the victims, and the survivors.

Heart disease is something that we should all be watching. But breast cancer is as well. One is not more important than the other, IMO.

Comment

To be quite honest, I'm a little sick of the whole "pink ribbon" mass merchandising that's going on.

I work in a hardware store, and every year around a certain time, we do an entire display of "pink ribbon" merchandise.

It's unreal how much crap is now out there with that logo, and the message that a portion of the money goes to breast cancer research.

We have:
        assorted hand tools such as hammers, tape measures, and screwdrivers; stationery and office supplies such as notepads, notebooks, date books, post-it-notes, pens, and highlighters; small kitchen appliances such as blenders, toasters, kettles, handmixers; kitchen accessories such as oven mitts, tea towels, dishcloths, salt and peppers,canister sets, juice pitchers, glassware and cookware; cookbooks; paper products; candy; sports bottles; gardening supplies such as work gloves, shears, and garden tools; BBQ supplies; butane lighters for candles; scotch tape; and probably numerous other things I have forgotten.

That's just in our store.

I go to other stores and see the same thing on food items at the grocery store, or on items of clothing at the department store.

That's a hell of a lot of merchandise.

The sceptic in me wonders just how much of that money actually goes to breast cancer research, and how do they ensure it gets collected back?

Just how much is collected annually as a result of all this hype?

How much is "a portion of the sale of this item"?

I see it as someone preying on a terrible disease just to make a quick buck.

It's almost sad that something that probably started out as a well intentioned idea has turned into such a commercialized venture.

It's also sad that so much emphasis is placed on a woman's breasts, and so much time and effort is spent with fundraising for that cause, as if that's the only female disease worth worrying about.

There is a young girl who has worked part time at the store for about 4 years now. She is about a year younger than my daughter.
        Just this year, while at university, she discovered a lump in her breast, and is now battling cancer in numerous, areas of her body as it had metastasized in several organs.
        Last edited by Ree; 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I've been in a very similar situation.

Apparently, it's misogynistic to point out that the fatality rates of prostate cancer are comparable to breast cancer, yet prostate cancer research gets less than 1% of breast cancer research.

Comment

On the plus side, there's cheaper and more accurate forms of screening being developed - and much of the research on breast cancer is also appropriate to other forms of cancer.

On the minus side: what about other illnesses? I would honestly rather have something which will kill me in a short time, than what I currently have (lifelong suffering). Sure, not everyone would make that bargain; but the point is that it's not fair to focus so intently on one problem.

Comment

Good point Seshat.

What about diseases with no current cure? Naw, screw them, they aren't trendy right now.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                You'd be surprised.
                according to the National Cancer institute the number of breast cancer diagnosis under age 20 is exactly 0.0 from 2003-2007 while 5.8% of testicular cancer patients were under age 20

Originally posted by National cancer institute
                the median age at diagnosis for cancer of the breast was 61 years of age. Approximately 0.0% were diagnosed under age 20; 1.9% between 20 and 34; 10.5% between 35 and 44; 22.6% between 45 and 54; 24.1% between 55 and 64; 19.5% between 65 and 74; 15.8% between 75 and 84; and 5.6% 85+ years of age.
                Originally posted by National cancer institute
                the median age at diagnosis for cancer of the testis was 34 years of age. Approximately 5.8% were diagnosed under age 20; 47.4% between 20 and 34; 27.4% between 35 and 44; 13.7% between 45 and 54; 3.7% between 55 and 64; 1.2% between 65 and 74; 0.6% between 75 and 84; and 0.2% 85+ years of age.
                the median age at death for cancer of the testis was 40 years of age
                the median age at death for cancer of the breast was 68 years of age

with the possibility of losing your breasts-the very signal of femininity.
                so women with small or flat breasts aren't feminine? What about men with breasts-are they more feminine than a flat-chested woman? Breasts are not that important-especially since, hey you can buy new ones.

In two months it will have been a year since my cousin lost her battle with breast cancer-touchy subject due to the fact that if her doctor had done what she asked and taken her breasts(she wanted a quick double mastectomy-doctor talked her out of it), she most likely would still be alive. But instead she still had her 36DDs in her casket-along with the cancer they harbored.

And Draco-yup prostate cancer is almost the same

It is estimated that 217,730 men will be diagnosed with and 32,050 men will die of cancer of the prostate in 2010
                The age-adjusted incidence rate was 156.9 per 100,000 men per year
                The age-adjusted death rate was 24.7 per 100,000
                1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with cancer of the prostate during their lifetime

Compare that to breast cancer's stats
                It is estimated that 207,090 women will be diagnosed with and 39,840 women will die of cancer of the breast in 2010
                The age-adjusted incidence rate was 122.9 per 100,000 women per year
                The age-adjusted death rate was 24.0 per 100,000 women per year
                1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with cancer of the breast during their lifetime.

Heart disease is something that we should all be watching. But breast cancer is as well. One is not more important than the other, IMO.
                breast cancer death rate for women-24 per 100,000
                heart disease death rate for women-101 per 100,000(caucasian women) and 130 per 100,000 (african american women)

So as a caucasian female I am four times as likely to die from heart disease as I am from breast cancer*-heart disease accounts for one of every 2.9 deaths in the US. It is the number 1 cause of death in the US. In 2006(last year data has been compiled for) heart disease killed more people than all forms of cancer, accidents, and HIV combined-and that's with heart disease deaths dropping 36% from 1996 to 2006.

*well my personal risk is higher-my mother has heart disease, and I've had rheumatic fever-so my heart is already weakened. So do I worry about the smaller risk of breast cancer that I can personally check for with monthly self checks, or do I worry about the very real possibility of heart disease-which I cannot self-check?
                Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 09-13-2010, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Don't forget with prostate cancer, every male is guaranteed to get it by age 150 if they don't die of something else. Yes, I understand that that is extremely unlikely. But how much research is going into breast cancer vs. finding out why it is guaranteed that every male will get prostate cancer if they don't get something else by 150 years old?

Source: Bio 440 Human Genetics. God that class was morbid.
                  Last edited by Greenday; 09-13-2010, 02:44 AM.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I had to hold my mother's hand the first time she saw herself in the mirror and wept at her scar. Her self-image has never been the same. Yes, she's alive, and I'm very thankful for that. But all the prosthetics in the world can't give her back something that was a part of her. My parents' relationship has never been the same, either. The emotional damage that the cancer and mastectomy caused her is no small thing.

As I asked earlier, please don't patronize me or my mother by saying that "breasts are not important and you can always buy new ones". Reconstruction surgery is expensive and can increase the likelihood for relapse. And, really, breasts aren't important? Really? In today's culture? Of course they are.

It's terrible that anyone has to die, whether it be from heart disease, breast cancer, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, genocide, AIDS, or starvation. So, yes, support heart disease research and prostate cancer research. But don't crap on those of us concerned about breast cancer research and don't belittle the survivors and their families.

ETA: BK, what most of your figures show that breast cancer patients are older than other cancer patients. So....they're less deserving of a cure because they're OLD?

Comment

every year cancer research has a race for life, yet only women can race. I don't know why, cancers on a whole are very equal opportunity (even breast as already pointed out), both my parents had cancer, my father had a nasty form of lukemia, which in adults isn't treatable by a bone marrow transplant like with children.

So I have two parents, a cousin and probably a few relatives ive not met since childhood, that I could run for, but I'm a man so I can't, so you know what cancer research, I'm only going to donate to male specific cancer trusts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                        The sceptic in me wonders just how much of that money actually goes to breast cancer research, and how do they ensure it gets collected back?
                        From what I understand most of the money goes to breast cancer awareness instead of breast cancer research. That is, it goes toward making more pink ribbons, commercials, and the like.

Other criticisms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_ribbon#Criticism
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G..._and_criticism
                        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                        my brother's

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                          every year cancer research has a race for life, yet only women can race. I don't know why, cancers on a whole are very equal opportunity (even breast as already pointed out), both my parents had cancer, my father had a nasty form of lukemia, which in adults isn't treatable by a bone marrow transplant like with children.

So I have two parents, a cousin and probably a few relatives ive not met since childhood, that I could run for, but I'm a man so I can't, so you know what cancer research, I'm only going to donate to male specific cancer trusts.
                          that is crap-I personally raised $450 towards leukemia & lymphoma research(plus the charity I rode for is the only one that gives money directly to patients to cover co-pays)-I got so many people telling me they couldn't donate or weren't willing to donate because "their money would go to better use for breast cancer research"

they funded the research that created gleevec

Comment

that is crap-
                            Just for clarification, what is crap?
                            My not being allowed to run cos I'm male or that I won't donate due to their sex discrimination?

I wouldn't run if I could, I'm not that fit, I would just walk the circuit, but I would have taken part atleast once and harrassed work for sponsorship.

Comment

I wanted to walk for the Susan G Komen But said fuck that when I read
                              Registered walkers must be 16 years old by the end of 2011 and agree to raise a minimum of $2,300 for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure(TM) in order to walk. Minors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian during the event who is also a registered walker. Please note that registration fees and all donations are non-refundable and non-transferable. All walkers must have medical insurance at the time of the event in order to participate.
                              I dont know which would turn away participants, and would love to know Ginger Tea as I think that is crappy as even the ACS has men listed on their site as survivors.

Comment

Working...
                              X