slang talk, and pants on the ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slang talk, and pants on the ground.

This is in no way meant to be racial or has much to do with accents but the words used. And I've seen many people use it not just african americans but some Caucasian people as I GUESS its emulating what is spoken in your environment but still.

Why must you speak in slang or with such a drawl - on purpose- that I can barely understand you. The last time I heard it was ages ago but still on occasion I hear it and think well they understand each other.

The best example I can give. "Shawty whatcho daoing here? said i'd hit yaup knawimean? Not word for word but spoken in such a way that doing had an a thrown in their and the words started slurring together and the person was sober.
    The other thing is the whole wearing baggy shirts that almost come to your knees and baggy pants that you have to hold up with one hand. I don't see why you need to walk around all day with one hand holding up your pants or walking weird just to keep them from falling or something. I figured at one point that the long shirts cover that they are carrying and that the pants are sagging because of the weight of the gun. Or they wear it because its the latest rapper or famous musician's style. I don't get it, it looks utterly ridiculous to me and I suppose I won't ever know because I don't get it.

now if this is being racist then sue me as I feel I am making an observation and saying that I feel its dumb but as I don't fully understand the cultural part of it or why they do it I still think its...silly in the fact talking in such a way I don't understand you or have to ask you to slow down or that I cannot see myself walking around with baggy clothes that are falling off my hips -putting myself in their point of view/shoes - it seems unnecessary.
    Last edited by LexiaFira; 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

The pants down below the butt is pretty gross. Most of the ones I see doing it do it in a very distinct way. They'll pull their pants up in the front, but in the back, they'll pull them down below their butts so their underwear is showing. At the school where I work, there used to be a girl who did that. I thought that was odd, as it usually seems to be the boys who do this stuff.

I think in a previous thread I stated that I was against corporal punishment in the schools, but in this case, I think I am tempted to change that stance. If I were a teacher, I'd be really tempted to greet these kids at the door with a belt in my hand saying, "You have five seconds to pull your pants up before I start swinging."

Comment

if only. and if its the latest thing fine, show off your undies but do me a favor and get some NICE underwear not holy dirty stained ones that look like there were made 10 years ago? No seriously the last time I saw that his boxers had holes in the back and...were gross looking as in whatever color brown that was it was in the right position to make me think it wasn't chocolate you sat on.

Or...I can't recall who it was that started this but wearing bright pastel colors making you look gay instead of gansta and you're known for being straight as all get out. Back to the point fine if you want to show off your undies but...maybe not everyone wants to see them?
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

The whole wearing pants that was down under the butt, started in jail as you all may know. But for the life of me, I do not understand why they would want to wear them like that. the only time I had too, was when my belt broke. And let me tell you, it was uncomfortable wearing them like that.

As the slang talk, I hate hearing it. If you are going to talk to me, then do so to where I can understand you, please

Comment

Oh man. I hate seeing the pants under the butt. Some guys even have the pants up in the front, under their butt, and then put on a belt!

I was a frequent battler of that in high school. My favorite example of my crusade:

A friend and I were walking back from a restaurant across the street during lunch. A group of lower classmen were walking ahead of us. One of the boys was wearing his pants below his butt. I put on a deep voice and say "Bubba likes it when you wear your pants like that. Bubba likes what he sees. Why do you have to tease Bubba like that?"

Quicker than lightning, the boy pulled up his pants.

(I just want to say that the story was in no way meant to be offensive toward homosexual males.It was just a spin-off of the origin of wearing low pants.)
          "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
            A friend and I were walking back from a restaurant across the street during lunch. A group of lower classmen were walking ahead of us. One of the boys was wearing his pants below his butt. I put on a deep voice and say "Bubba likes it when you wear your pants like that. Bubba likes what he sees. Why do you have to tease Bubba like that?"

Quicker than lightning, the boy pulled up his pants.

(I just want to say that the story was in no way meant to be offensive toward homosexual males.It was just a spin-off of the origin of wearing low pants.)
            aw man I broke rule one. oh well it was only water. awesome I ought to try that. The worst example I saw was one dude was doing this pants on the ground thing pushing a baby stroller. my thought is, unless you're not married who the hell are you trying to impress!? I ought to try that though
            Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
              now if this is being racist then sue me
              Only you know if your feelings are coming from a place of racism. I suspect not.

I've known about half a dozen people over the last few years who talk and dress in this fashion, and they're all white. So it's hard for me to see this as a cultural or racial thing. I think it's just a silly trend among some peer groups.

Comment

In Baltimore at least it’s a status symbol to show to the gangs that you have done time in jail/prison. In prison you get no belt with your pants. Its cost effective and a suicide deterrent, so your pants end up falling a bit. What’s really amusing is that gang members will continue this when released. It makes things much easier for the police to catch you when your pants are falling down to your ankles since you couldn’t pull them over your rear end and put a belt on.

Comment

I'm more than convinced that a good fraction of the white population around here believes they are rough tough black gangsters.

Does it make me a bad person that I want to beat guys who say "Shawty" (shorty) or "Ma" or "Daaaaamn girl!" or other degrading nonesense like that, into a coma?

Their overly baggy clothing doesn't help.

But at the same time, every time I see a young man in skinny jeans I want to beat them unconscious and bloody as well. Ish. Gross.

Whatever happened to nice, relaxed fit men's pants?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    But at the same time, every time I see a young man in skinny jeans I want to beat them unconscious and bloody as well. Ish. Gross.
                    That's the look around here. Damn hipsters, this town is full of 'em - mostly Trustafarians from the nearby, ridiculously wealthy KC 'burbs. (I get it. You're "edgy" and "cool." Now take off all the stuff Mumsy bought you at Urban Outfitters and take a damn shower.) Apparently, the trend is going back to relaxed bootlegs for women in the spring...as well as corduroy and bell bottoms...yeesh.

Comment

I'm so sick of fashion trends. Skinny jeans do not look good on anyone who isn't very thin and short, or very thin and tall. And they do NOT look good on ANY guy. Period.

And you stupid young men punks, wash and cut your stupid hair.

Skinny jeans, those fugly jumpers, jeggings......they all make me want to vomit.

Comment

I read your title and the first thing I thought of was this
                        Help a friend!

Comment

I absolutely love baggy pants. Love it. I have two options when buying pants: buying pants that are baggy and comfortable, or buying pants that are kinda comfy but the holes near my ankles are small as hell and my 8 year old cousin's leg my be a tight fit. There are no inbetweens. I just throw a belt on and actually use it properly. The only thing worse than some guy wearing jeans so baggy that they are falling down is a guy wearing jeans so baggy that they are falling down with a belt on because they don't actually tighten the belt at all.

Skinny jeans...you'd never catch me in a pair at all. GTFO of here with that crap. Unless you are a twig, it doesn't work. and it looks dumb on guys.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                            I'm more than convinced that a good fraction of the white population around here believes they are rough tough black gangsters.

Does it make me a bad person that I want to beat guys who say "Shawty" (shorty) or "Ma" or "Daaaaamn girl!" or other degrading nonesense like that, into a coma?
                            Hell no, Blas. You're not the only one who thinks that way. I'd like to tell them all something like "Look asshole, you're not black. Deal with it. Even black people think you're a fucking tool. Pull your damn pants up, lose the fake limp, drop the Ebonics, and turn your hat around. You look like a fucking moron"

What gets me, is that (locally), most of these fools are scrawny white kids from the 'burbs. They'd shit their pants if they were accosted by *real* gangstas. Sorry, but I can't take them seriously--their actions are so laughable that it's pathetic.

Comment

I'm trying to find Clint Eastwood's quote from Gran Torino when the girl is walking with the Irish kid and three black dudes stop them. After Eastwood pulls the gun on the black guys and gives them a piece of his mind, he then turns on the Irish kid and starts ripping on him for trying to act all ghetto. Something like "These guys don't want to be your 'bros' and I don't blame them."
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X