Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open letter to a neighbor

Dear pot head,
    Can you please smoke your drug of choice inside your residence instead of out on your porch? I'm tired of the smoke coming into my apartment and giving me flu like symptoms for 5 days at a time. I would get away from the window when you go out to smoke up, but 1) I can't smell it, and 2) I can't see inside the enclosed porch area to see you when you go out onto the porch to smoke up so while doing my puzzzle I have been inflicted with your pot smoke, which I am allergic to 2x so far.
    I shouldn't have to avoid my kitchen table because of you.

I'm having a similar problem, except I'm not allergic and I CAN smell it. And they got some nasty stuff cause it stinks to high heaven.

Comment

Uhg, I hate pot smoking neighbours. I can smell it and it stinks my house up.

Comment

I have a solution for this:

Step 1: Tell them to stop
        Step 2: If they keep doing it after Step 1, call the cops.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'd skip Greenday's first step and call the cops. If they're smoking that much to be a nuisance, odds are that they're carrying enough to make it a felony. Hope they like their shiny bracelets.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            I have a solution for this:

Step 1: Tell them to stop
            Step 2: If they keep doing it after Step 1, call the cops.
            I hope the cops where Akasa lives are more likely to show up than the ones where I live. I've pretty much given up on the police ever showing up, or if they do show up, every being helpful in anyway. Just about every time we've called them, they've seem flat our annoyed with us when they've bothered to show up at all and take a report.
            "Sometimes the way you THINK it is, isn't how it REALLY is at all." --St. Orin--

Comment

Originally posted by Akasa View Post
              flu like symptoms for 5 days at a time.
              ok.....seriously? if it bothers you fine, but I have a hard time believing the smell can irritate someone that much yet they can still function normally outside of their plastic bubble.

Maybe it was just an exaggeration for effect, and if thats the case cool. But I get a lot of crap from non-smokers (even just tobacco) who cry wolf every time they get a whiff of smoke, and I find it highly unlikely that they almost die from cigarette smoke, but any other type of smoke is just fine and dandy. Car exhaust? no problem. Burning building filled with plastic? HAH! Cigarette smoke? COUGH COUGH COUGH. Did you hear me? COUGH. COUGH. HACK. GAG. OH MY GOD PUT THAT OUT. COUGH. COUGH.

Comment

First of all, I don't think it's condusive to the discussion to call the OP a liar. She has a legitimate complaint against her neighbor, and calling her such is nothing more than a low blow.

Secondly, nice Strawman, but Akasa is not talking about cigarette smoke. She is quite clearly discussing the smoke derived from the marijuana plant. As someone who lives close to a (more than) casual smoker, I can attest that, as I am also exposed to bars and the cigarette smoke, I can't stand the smoke from marijuana. It makes me queasy.

A third mention should be that, if the neighbor is as careless and thoughtless as Akasa says, then she might be inhaling enough marijuana to be detectable during a test. If her employer ever tests her and fires her over it, how is that fair to her?

*Akasa is female, correct? O_o

Comment

Its not the smell, its the chemicals. Its an allergic reaction to marijuana smoke.
                  You trying to say I don't suffer for 5 days after being exposed to the smoke?
                  Last edited by Akasa; 09-22-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I have to agree with Akasa here. The smoke/fumes from marijuana make me ill. Headache bordering on migraines, nausea, and dizziness. It's just how it affects me. I also break out if I come into contact with the residue, to the point it's practically a full body rash. Hell, when I had poison ivy AND poison oak at the same time it wasn't that bad.

So, yes, people CAN be that sensitive. I've ranted before about inconsiderate smokers, but that's the key. INCONSIDERATE. I could care less what you choose. But if your habits are affecting my quality of life, especially in my own home, that's a problem. And it's not MINE.

Comment

Hobbs and Greenday have the best idea for how to put a stop to that. Use the non-emergency number, though, since despite the allergy, you're not seriously in danger, as weird as that sounds.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                      *snip*
                      She said in her OP that she was allergic. It's not common, but it does exist as an allergen to certain people. I agree with you about the anti-smokers, though. I'll save that for another thread.
                      This space for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by lupo pazzesco View Post
                        I have to agree with Akasa here. The smoke/fumes from marijuana make me ill. Headache bordering on migraines, nausea, and dizziness. It's just how it affects me. I also break out if I come into contact with the residue, to the point it's practically a full body rash. Hell, when I had poison ivy AND poison oak at the same time it wasn't that bad.

So, yes, people CAN be that sensitive. I've ranted before about inconsiderate smokers, but that's the key. INCONSIDERATE. I could care less what you choose. But if your habits are affecting my quality of life, especially in my own home, that's a problem. And it's not MINE.
                        While I do not appear to be allergic to pot smoke, my wife is. She will break out in a rash at minor exposure and full-blown hives and respiratory distress for major exposure. It's actually the reason she moved out of her old house and we got an apartment together years ago when we first started dating.....her neighbors were heavy pot smokers. After being at the supposedly "Crime Free Housing Developement" for a couple of years, a parollee moved into the apartment below us and would smoke out on his porch....directly under out balcony. Of top of that, we had to put up with fights at 1am where we could hear furniture crashing, THUMP THUMP against the walls and his girlfriend screaming "DON"T KILL ME!" at the top of her lungs. Needless to say, the police dispatcher got to know our voices pretty well: "Dispatch, how can I help you?" "Hello, It's Misty again.....Yeah, they're at it again." They were finally evicted, but we ended up moving out shortly there after due to increasing rental costs.
                        "Sometimes the way you THINK it is, isn't how it REALLY is at all." --St. Orin--

Comment

Seems to me like it's always the inconsiderate smokers who question whether or not someone is allergic. I think they do it to try and justify thier habit. It's just so rude.

As for the OP I agree with Hobbs and Greenday. Call the cops.
                          If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

I don't question if my neighbor is allergic. I don't smoke pot, just ciggs. My lease forbids smoking in the rental units, so I have to smoke outside. My neighbor doesn't believe in A/C, and from the moment it gets nice (like 45 degrees or better) in the spring until the day it snows and gets cold in the fall/winter, that ass leaves his windows open 24/7. He often whines that when I go out to smoke, my smoke wafts into his apartment.

I'm not going to quit smoking because you won't get an air conditioner and you refuse to shut your windows, especially in the spring and fall when it's not even nice enough to have them open.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                              I don't question if my neighbor is allergic. I don't smoke pot, just ciggs. My lease forbids smoking in the rental units, so I have to smoke outside. My neighbor doesn't believe in A/C, and from the moment it gets nice (like 45 degrees or better) in the spring until the day it snows and gets cold in the fall/winter, that ass leaves his windows open 24/7. He often whines that when I go out to smoke, my smoke wafts into his apartment.

I'm not going to quit smoking because you won't get an air conditioner and you refuse to shut your windows, especially in the spring and fall when it's not even nice enough to have them open.
                              That's a tough one.....Blas you have every right to smoke on your balcony and anyone with open windows can just deal. But at the same time the guy is allowed to have his windows open whenever he wants. Guess he has to deal then.

I also hate it when people bitch about cigarette smoke (cough cough I'm dying) but car exhaust and any other kind of smoke is perfectly ok and healthy. I'm waiting for the day that someone does the cough gag I'm dying thing when I'm using my electronic cigarette...which has no smoke...heh.
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X