Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Note to local newspapers: the World Wide Web is WORLDWIDE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to local newspapers: the World Wide Web is WORLDWIDE!

I've noticed that the online versions of some newspapers, usually small-town ones, include nothing in either the address or the letterhead to indicate where they are. So if you come to an article in that paper from a search (like, say, Google News) then you have to dig around the site to try to find that rather important information that you'd *think* the publisher would want you to know. Or, more likely, just go "oh well, it's obviously not from around here" and not read it at all.

Sorry I don't have a handy example. But it's particularly galling when you find an article that appears to be about something that happened somewhere you're familiar with, then as you read it it makes less and less sense until you realize it's a different town or county, who knows where because they don't tell you, that just happens to have the same name.

Yes, I realize this post is vague. I'm sleepy and angry at the same time. Hopefully it makes enough sense.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Slightly off topic, but it reminded me of this:
    http://xkcd.com/773/

I run into that problem a lot with news and social sites, because my city shares a name with another city, so half the time you can't really be sure if the article in your news is about your own home or the one on the other side of the country.

A lot of small newspapers are still struggling to really adapt to the internet. Even little things like dates are left off half the time. It's really frustrating when you're trying to research.

Comment

Good one!

And YES, articles need to have the date too! City and state/country/whatever* in the title bar that appears on every page anyway, and the date the article was written on every article, preferably right up there with the headline and author.

*Within reason; for example, there's no point in specifying which Chicago or London you mean unless it's not the obvious one. But those are all big cities, and big city papers don't have this problem.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I have a feeling that many small-town newspapers don't understand that The Power of Google will bring outsiders to their websites.

They figure that the only people visiting their site will be those who live in the town and know their coverage area.

Comment

Working...
        X