Dragging "America" into anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragging "America" into anything

What the hell is going on in the world where people either try to drag the USA or blame the USA on things that the USA has little to no control over?

On another forum someone posted a link to this news story:

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Al...-fast-20100921

And the poster's comments were shame on America!

What the hell does America have to do with this? They're Algerian Christians and they were eating in Algeria. They were arrested and jailed in Algeria and will be tried according to Algerian laws.

The news site is based out of South Africa and the site is even hosted in South Africa. The registrar is also based in South Africa.

The *ONLY* connection to the USA this has is that the site is a .com so the registry that the site is registered to is based in the USA (VeriSign). They have nothing to do with the site or the content, they just tell where requests for the domain need to go to.

I can't find a comments area on there, but no, it has nothing to do with the USA... unless, perhaps, they were blaming us for "international conventions on freedom of religion."

(Even at that, it's probably not a genuine connection... but it's at least a possibly-somewhat-rational one)
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: add parenthetical
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The comment was made on the other forum by the person who posted the link to the story.

Comment

Ah, OK.

...since the character limit doesn't believe that to be an acceptable response, I'll also ask: did I guess close at all on how they were trying to connect it? Were they even trying to make a rational connection, or were they just ranting?
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm glad to see the persecuted men have lots of local support.

As for dragging America into everything, I believe that's known as deflection or misdirection. It's always easier to poke sand in someone else's eye than clean out your own fingernails, especially when the "other" happens to be a global superpower. On its face, people will favour the underdog over the big dog, and just might miss the fact that the underdog is covered with crap.

People in the Middle East will riot and burn American flags at any perceived insult to their faith, while their homegrown problems of poverty, illiteracy, lack of human rights get drowned out. I'm not saying all ME countries are like that, but smart money says the countries that have those problems are the first in line for citizens rioting over burning quarans and such.

Everybody plays the "blame the other" game, but the perceived "underdogs" are more likely to get away with it.
          Last edited by Talon; 09-22-2010, 12:43 AM.
          Customer: I need an Apache.
          Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Working...
          X