Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University websites

after seeing someone else link this: http://xkcd.com/773/

which is the most accurate comic they've ever done.

Rather than rant I am going to propose a small exercise:
    go to www.trentu.ca and see if you can find out when reading week is. I had to give up and start going through course outlines in webct until I found one with the date.

Yet if you go to my previous schools site www.flemingc.on.ca and click a link on the first page you get a full schedule for the semester.
    Last edited by gremcint; 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM.

Oh man, I don't even need to click that link to know exactly what you're talking about.

At my previous school (community college), the blackboard and course schedules were right out in the open. The email addresses of the faculty were also easy to find.

My current university's website is made next to impossible to navigate without the search bar. Every time I need an email address or to check blackboard, I waste 10 minutes trying to find the correct series link to click on (never out in the open and never where it should be). The only information out in the open is BS like the mission statement and a donation thing. I mean, how hard is it to have an easy link to this important stuff on the home page?

Comment

My school has like 4 completely different websites. Two are for student use, two are basically the same thing for potential students....wait okay, so it has 5 websites, not counting the culinary program. The 5th is just student portfolios though. Yeah so if you count the culinary and the student store (which is on a seperate website too) 7 sites in total. 7.

Glad that the school is easy to get a hold of by phone.

Comment

Universities have the shittiest websites. Common knowledge.

Colleges, on the other hand, usually have fantastic user-friendly websites.

I suspect it's because most colleges offer web design programs and most universities do not.

Comment

My university's website is awful, but it has a decent search function. We also have some of the WORST IT guys out there. It's taken nearly 2 months for our department's "liason" to connect the GTA computers to the office printer. Gahhhhhh.

Oh, and Blackboard - biggest piece of crap ever. The updated version is better, but it's still a pain.

Comment

It took me 40min to find a page i knew existed somewhere off our our career page to find local temp agencies because they nicely put them into catagories.... turns out half the numbers don't work anymore. go figure

Comment

Working...
            X