Not being appreciated....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not being appreciated....

Sometimes I fell underappreciated...not for the things I do, but for the things I DON'T do. People look at me and say "Fuck him, he's a real active community member." Yeah, I'm not. I don't go to church and take part in bottle drives and food pantries. Guess what else I don't do? I don't go around vandalizing cars and stealing shit and loitering and causing trouble.

Or sometimes an emergency situation will arise and someone will be like "Hey, that guy didn't help us out at all." Yeah, because I was too busy STAYING THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY. I should be getting a medal for that shit. All these other amateurs were sticking their noses into everything making it a bog of uncertainty and clusterfuckedness, meanwhile my cool, collected ass was staying out of the way, minding my own business, letting the professionals handle it.

Okay, I'm assuming first of all there's a typo and you mean "he's not a real active community member." Idk where you are, but my community doesn't know me, and I don't know them.

As for the second part...you want a medal for doing nothing? I know you're probably being facetious, but that just struck me as odd. Also, I think at a certain point, you should help out in an emergency. For the most part an accident or something should be left to the authorities, but if it's a dire emergency, I think everyone should do what they can to help.

Comment

You want recognized for the fact that you don't go around vandalizing and causing trouble around town? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
        You want recognized for the fact that you don't go around vandalizing and causing trouble around town? Seriously?
        If I'm reading this correctly, I think what the Doc' is ticked off about is people getting on his case for not doing bottle drives and food pantries and church fundraisers and bake sales and walkathons etc. etc. etc. He seems to feel this is unfair as he's not actively going out and committing crimes such as vandalizing cars, shoplifting, graffiti, public drunkeness, etc.etc. etc.

Can't really blame him for being annoyed, when people get pushy about wanting you to join their cause, they tend to get nasty when you refuse. I try really hard to stick to the old Lakota maxim: No man can tell another what to do. You can suggest, explain your point of view, cite examples of why it's a good idea and try to convince someone of your point of view, but ultimately when it becomes apparent that they do not agree, it's a waste of time, breath, and energy to keep trying to change their mind. Which brings me to one of my favorite authors maxims: No amount of argueing or cajoling will convince someone to accept an idea before they are ready to. In fact, arguing with them will only alienate them, they will refuse to listen and go in exactly the opposite way.
        "Sometimes the way you THINK it is, isn't how it REALLY is at all." --St. Orin--

Comment

Working...
        X