Aunts/Uncles/Cousins not important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aunts/Uncles/Cousins not important

A minor beef, but it irritates me nonetheless. My nephew is 18 and has lived with us on and off his whole life, and lived exclusively with us for the past ten years; my parents got permanent custody of him when he was 8. I've been bugging him to keep applying at the Volde-Mart where I work, and he finally renewed his application yesterday. But in the section where it asks if you have any relatives working for the company, he said he put down my name and position but had to say I was his sister, because there's no option for aunt/uncle/cousin, etc. Only siblings, parents, children, and grandparents. I told him no biggie, but if he gets an interview to be sure and correct it, I had a similar issue when I reapplied and the website kept saying I worked previously at a different store number than what I did.

It's the same on Facebook, there's a spot where you can list your relatives with a link to their profile, but only for 'immediate' family, no spots for nephews, cousins, etc. I'm probably closer with nephew than I am my actual siblings, simply because of the living arrangements. It just peeves me off that you get shafted most of the time when you have that kind of relation, you know?

Also, bereavement at most workplaces only counts if it's a parent, sibling, grandparent, or child. Everyone else isn't important enough.
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

The problem with things like leave situations is that you have to draw a line. And, since money is involved, they want that line as close to the individual as possible, regardless of what might be the reality of the situations.

For social situations where you could literally put anything you wanted (even allowing write-in options), there's really no excuse other than a lack of forethought, and a lack of input. I'm certain that in the case of something such as Facebook, enough feedback would get it added.

However, in the case of a workplace situation that doesn't list options for immediate family, I would then not list anyone not covered by the options provided, as I would take that as an indication that they aren't interested in knowing beyond that scope, and list anyone after that point as a "friend," should there be such an option.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I guess it depends on the workplace...but my company let me take bereavement leave a few years back when my nephew died.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Heh. I love the bulk of my aunts/cousins/uncles, despite my jealousys.

Only one uncle I despise and wouldn't shed a single tear if he died the most painful miserible death. Which is strange cause how he's recently trying to make up. Whatever.

There is one aunt that alot seem to hate, and she can be a bit of handful. However, my entire life, she's been the kindest to me, bar none. She can be a bitch, this is very true. But only because how a bulk of our family can act at times. (Like when her granddaughter died of cancer, where she was really trying to take care of her since her daughter, granddaughters mother decided that it be a better time to smoke meth then hang with her dying daughter, only I, my mom and sister, and aunt's other children went to the funeral. None even sent a note or letter, despite being told. They just didn't care enough.

No-one knows WHY she likes me. No-one. I doubt, and I don't ask. But it just how's its been. She claims she see's something special in me that's not in anyone else. But what that is? WHo knows.

Personally, I think people should put whoever they consider family on. Within limits I guess. Aunts can raise nephews, or cousins can raise second cousins. Family can be insanely close, or incredibly distant.
        Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
        I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I prefer my cousins over my other relatives.

One thing I always found irksome, (and this is very minor), is there are thousands of Mom/Dad/Sibling/Grandparent/BFF gifts....but very little that say "cousins" Took my cousin a good 30 years to finally find a picture frame that says "cousins."

Comment

Working...
          X