being used as a loan reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being used as a loan reference

I know I've posted a little about this in the past, but since it came up again this week.....just needed to rant about it.

Best way to explain it is that my sister and her husband apparently used my name as a reference when applying for loans (for various things), and it's been so many years that I can't remember if they had asked for my permission or even let me know about it.

Anyhow, I received a letter in the mail this week from "Sallie Mae" requesting updated info on my sister's student loan account........I have no idea if this is something current or no, but it's annoying that they keep my info updated because they can't get ahold of the person whom they really need to talk to.

I know how you feel.

My brother used me as a reference for his last car loan, and I got a call from his lienholder a while back because they couldn't get ahold of him.

Since I can't get ahold of him any better than they can, I have no idea if he ever got the message.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, fortunately this doesn't happen too often, but it still makes me wonder......if these companies can get ahold of MY current address/phone number, why can't they do the same for the actual account holder?

Comment

You're not a deadbeat. It's easy to find responsible people because they update their records with the USPS, the DMV, their voter registration, etc, etc, etc.

Deadbeats don't update anything because they don't want to be found. They get things sent to them in other peoples' names, or just make up names for the things they want. In the age of the single-use, prepaid debit card, it's not as hard as it used to be to stay off the radar. Plus, sometimes, they're just flakes who can't be bothered to keep their records current.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X