What About Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
    ... I've always felt like a disappointment to my parents because he's so much smarter than me.
    Smarts is not the same as wisdom, and it appears that your mom tends towards a mildly sexist view as regards how young people handle being sexually active.

Since you're a girl, you will have more sense and won't need her to oversee your activities, perhaps projecting how she recalls herself at your age.

But your brother is a boy, and boys will be boys, don't ya know.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Aw thanks Mytical *hugs* ya know, someone last night said they were proud of me, and I nearly cried.

And wow, Ginger, that's a creepy thought. Pretty creepy.

I'm hoping Mom isn't hoping for grandkids. As far as I'm concerned, ain't no babies being birthed out of here, if not forever, at least not until I'm 30 or older.
      Or Mom figures if you get knocked up, you can get a smishsmortion. If your brother knocks a girl up, you can't force her to get a smishsmortion.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Or Mom figures if you get knocked up, you can get a smishsmortion. If your brother knocks a girl up, you can't force her to get a smishsmortion.
        ROFL!!!!! I know where you got "smishsmortion" from too.....awesome. That made me laugh.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Blas, I'd say that your Mom thinks your brother is more apt to listen to you than her. For them it would be an embarassing converstation for both, between you and him maybe not. Also maybe she thinks you're protective of him to some degree. My older daughters are very protective of their brothers and little sister. The boys are extremely protective of their little sister.

Personally I've never thought grades equals intelligence as we all know some really stupid intelligent folks. My uncle had a saying for such people "Bless his heart, he was educated way beyond his intelligence."
          I have two daughters your age and I don't always agree with their decisions nor have I agreed with some of your decisions, but all three of you know that you'll have to live with those decisions so you try to make the best ones. You're working, paying your own way, and living on your own sound to me like you're the adult between you and your brother.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

I'm very protective of my little brother, but I know he's smarter than to throw his life away for a girl or make a stupid decision like that. I wish my parents would give him some credit. He hasn't came as far as he has in life because he's an idiot or a "typical guy in love". He's a very smart, ambitious young dude and he knows better.

Besides, he could take me being the messenger as siding with my parents, and then get mad at me. I don't like people being mad at me over something that was never my idea or my business to begin with, but I was dragged in.

Comment

No, I was never called a "screw up" to my face, but I've always felt like a disappointment to my parents because he's so much smarter than me..
              I wouldn't consider how smart someone is a good measure of how much of a screw up they are, how they use their intelligence is a much bigger issue. Not everyone is going to be able to graduate top of their class in Yale or Harvard, some people will struggle to get a B average at a community college, some people will work in factories. As long as you are striving to improve yourself and are working up to your potential it doesn't matter whether you are a Nobel prize winner or a factory floor worker, you aren't a screw up until you give up.

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post

Personally I've never thought grades equals intelligence as we all know some really stupid intelligent folks. .
              *raises hand*
              I am definitely one of those people
              I got a 98% in college algebra, and am doing well in all my accounting courses, but can't remember where I leave my keys each night.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Oh, you'd be amazed at the profs I know who have Ph.D.s from top universities who can't manage simple classroom technology or keep their stuff the least bit organized. One always apologizes for his office and says, "I promise nothing that you need to graduate is on the floor."

Comment

I don't remember getting 'The Talk'. My parents gave me books about it instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    Sweet Googly Moogly we are talking Seth Rogan style.

Anyway yeah parents aren't always thinking about the things they say or how they say them. It was obvious my older brother was a huge blind spot to my parents when it came to doing anything bad, he was on drugs and sneaking girls in all the time, because they kept asking me if I was on drugs and even had my brother give me the "drugs are bad" talk.

Sometimes it's just assuming one child understands something better than the other.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Working...
                    X