Changing Fonts on Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Fonts on Forums

This isn't a huge thing, but it's damned annoying when I run into it.

Why do people have to pick specific fonts and sizes when posting to forums? Is their avatar not enough for them to recognize their own posts, or what?

I have my font chosen because it is hands down the most legible font I've ever seen and when someone goes and chooses their special little font for whatever, I don't want to have to alter my display to read their post, no matter how relevant or interesting it might have been.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

There are times when that ability can be used to enhance a post, but the trouble is that some people don't believe in the direction "use sparingly."

I find it nearly as annoying in email, as well.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't have a problem when it's used for effect or for emphasis or for some artistic flair, but when the entire post is in some smaller-than-normal font or the poster purposefully reduces the size of the font, it just annoys me.

Then we get into the fun of the color-changers. Some people need to either realize that not everybody uses the same color background and if you're going to be that special snowflake with the day-glow yellow font, the people who don't stick with the default black background can't read a word of it.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Typically, anyone who uses a font that makes me struggle even a little bit to read gets ignored by me. Same thing with using colors that are tougher to read.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't really mind a colour change, as long as it's still readable. For example, one forum I admin; background is pale pink. Having your text as dark purple, navy blue, dark red etc is perfectly OK as it can be read. However, white, yellow and baby pink are out... as is a colour like lime green or hot pink as it just makes it blinding. X_x Therefore, we say in the rules that you can not flavour your text in that way but you have complete siggy freedom as far as text flavouring goes as long as it's not a screen stretcher.

I agree with Greenday as far as ignoring goes; if someone types in a colour that's impossible to read without highlighting (Example:This would be unacceptable here!) then I won't bother to read it.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

A note about font color:

Not everybody will stick with the standard theme for any website that can have it changed.

This site has a dark background, which I have to change due to limitations with my monitor and workplace conditions. So, while most people don't really change the default settings for the forums they visit, and yellow would work great on a dark background, if someone were to use a yellow font here, I would be unable to read it without highlighting it, as I've swapped over to the base blue background.

If you absolutely must muck about with the font color, then have the decency to check the legibility against all available background colors.

^-.-^

Comment

It's no different than using an HTML/ASCII pictogram for a signature.
              "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
              -- OMM 0000

Comment

Also, giant text is annoying everywhere.

Or teeny font.

There are sites that allow even bigger/smaller text than that, and it's bloody annoying to me... especially huge allcaps font. That always makes me feel that the person is bellowing at the top of their voice.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I find the really teeny font annoying too. Mainly because I'm extremely nearsighted and even my glasses don't help all the time. At least the huge fonts are easy for me to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    A note about font color:

Not everybody will stick with the standard theme for any website that can have it changed.

This site has a dark background, which I have to change due to limitations with my monitor and workplace conditions. So, while most people don't really change the default settings for the forums they visit, and yellow would work great on a dark background, if someone were to use a yellow font here, I would be unable to read it without highlighting it, as I've swapped over to the base blue background.

If you absolutely must muck about with the font color, then have the decency to check the legibility against all available background colors.

^-.-^
                    That last bit won't work, after all any font colour will be illegible against at least one background colour. For example, if someone sets their background to green, the default text on this site will be illegible.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                      That last bit won't work, after all any font colour will be illegible against at least one background colour. For example, if someone sets their background to green, the default text on this site will be illegible.
                      Eh, if someone's going to go as far as to setting a completely custom color as opposed to what's offered by a forum's setup, that's on them to set their font color, too.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                      X