No announcement yet.

TV rants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and one more thing I've really grown to despise is crappy generic pop songs plaguing the scene, another trap Human Target has fallen into. It's become the staple of almost every show I watch to have some sappy plain white T's esque music at the end. But it's even worse when it's used in the middle of an action scene to force some drama into it. Well, it fails

Comment

I've been watching Bones lately (currently on season 4), and I'm really starting to hate every time they decide that they have to have some song play during the end of show wrap-up sequence.

Once in a while the songs are ok, but more often than not, they're not very good, and they're mixed far louder than is reasonable.

Oh, and series intro music is also mixed way higher than it needs to be, and is often rather grating, too. Bones and Lie to Me come to mind immediately for this.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't watch many TV shows, save for Young and the Restless and a half of Days of our Lives when I don't have to do overtime. I get up in time to watch the 9:00 news and TMZ. I go to my bf's house on the weekends to watch Spartacus. That's my favorite show of all time. True Blood is my second favorite, in a few months I'll be able to look forward to that every weekend

Comment

NCIS has fallen into the "let's play a dramatic pop song over the last scene" trap lately. Ugh. And the last episode was about the chick who died about 6 seasons ago. It's like...what? You don't mention Kate for the last 6 years, and now you've got an entire episode about her?? *sheesh*

Comment

Heh, I like how the writers of Supernatural turned all the wincest fanfiction into in jokes in the show. >.>

This also sounds like a job for Tv Tropes. But I'm not about go there as it'll be hours before I find my way back out again.

One of the biggest problems American TV has is the "no defined end". American TV is about carrying an idea as long as is humanly possible to derive as much money from said idea as is humanly possible. Then when the show finally gets cancelled, cobbling together an awful ending to it that makes me want to drown puppies. Only to change their mind afterwards and force the writers to try and retcon their own ending that already aired. ( SG-1, Babylon 5 ).

It sucks since any given show is eventually going to run out of steam, but will then be choked through another season or two anyway just to ensure anyone who liked it will sour on it. Before ending in a taco fart of mediocrity.

Unless its really good in its first season. In which case Fox will just cancel it outright. =p

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
              Hear hear! I can't stand the goody-two-shoes Amber Tamblyn character (what's her name again?). Olivia Wilde's name is still in the credits, so maybe she might return...

I thought the House/Cuddy thing was funnier when it was implied and unlikely. How come CSI can nix supervisor/subordinate relationships realistically and House can't?
              I actually kinda like the new character... I mean, the characterization is far from great, she seems to exist SOLELY for House to have someone to defy now that he's dating Cuddy, but the actress does the most ADORABLE sad puppydog eyes and I want to give her cuddles. So I cuddle a stuffed animal instead, and then I'm happy.

In short: It gives me an excuse to hug a giant stuffed tiger, and isn't that what life is really about?
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I think I'm one of those people who isn't bothered by a lot of things on TV. When I go serious fangirl on a show I generally don't say this season sucked or I hate these characters together etc. because it's all part of that universe. I'm like that with Buffy and Angel, I see a lot of people online saying that the 7th season of Buffy sucked, I actually really liked that season, it was among my favorites. I don't think the show fizzled out or whatever they say, the ending was epic.

As for the planned movie? The one without Joss Whedon or any of the original cast... I have a sneaking suspicion they will try and turn it into another Twilight thing...

Heroes on the other hand, got kind of slow, but I don't know if that's because I need to re-watch the first two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  Heh, I like how the writers of Supernatural turned all the wincest fanfiction into in jokes in the show. >.>
                  Hear, hear! I loved the episode with the 1st Supernatural Convention

I used to love NCIS, but I kind of lost interest a bit after the whole "Abby's trip to Mexico to uncover Gibbs' past" plot annoyed me. That, and the whole Tony/Ziva thing. While those two *do* have chemistry together, there's little I loathe more about a TV show than a not-quite-romance that stretches on *forever*, with the reasons for the "not-quite" becoming more and more contrived. Either get them together at some point, or drop the thing entirely. I thought CSI did the Sara/Grissom 'ship quite well, without their personal lives becoming too much of a focus in the show.

I hold high hopes for Castle (my current favorite) to avoid that trap; so far, it hasn't been too bad, with quite a few great moments between the two (Stana Katic does AWESOME facial expressions!). But I fear that if they continue to string along the not-quite-romance, that may change.

And, yeah: the lack of coherent writing, sensible planning and a good story arc for the show. That sort of put me off Battlestar Galactica; great start, but then things just kinda got muddled. I realize that changing writers over the course of several years can happen, but there should be *some* sort of effort made to ensure continuity. B5 is still the prime example; in all the years since, no other show has managed that level of plot (IMO).

I like things to "make sense" in my entertainment. I've no problems suspending disbelief, but I want to feel that there was effort put into the story from the writers' and the producers' side. I hate anti-climactic endings, hand-waving solutions to plots, and any other examples of basically, sloppy work.
                  "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                  "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                    I actually kinda like the new character... I mean, the characterization is far from great, she seems to exist SOLELY for House to have someone to defy now that he's dating Cuddy
                    Yeah, most of what I don't like is the characterization (a bit one-dimensional). Too honest/ethical (if that makes any sense). She is cute tho.
                    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      One of the biggest problems American TV has is the "no defined end". American TV is about carrying an idea as long as is humanly possible to derive as much money from said idea as is humanly possible. Then when the show finally gets cancelled, cobbling together an awful ending to it that makes me want to drown puppies. Only to change their mind afterwards and force the writers to try and retcon their own ending that already aired. ( SG-1, Babylon 5 ).
                      SG-1 I'll give you, but B5 was according to Straczynski's plan. The issue they had was that they didn't know if it was actually going to go into a season 5, so they filmed their finale at the end of season 4. (The production number for "Sleeping in Light" which was the final episode is 422, indicating season 4) They didn't get word for season 5 until after so they did have to quickly cobble together a new filler episode to replace the finale. Season 5 was sort of the epilogue of the story, as it was intended to be, but with all the shifting around that had to take place both in plot and behind the scenes (a number of actors had other jobs lined up by this time), it wasn't as cohesive. Season 5 wasn't retconned, just off balance. By JMS's own words, if they had known Season 5 was coming in advance, the only change is that it would have been more cohesive like the rest of the series. The story at large would have been unchanged (the mess of Claudia Christian leaving notwithstanding)

Comment

that is one of the things I loved and slightly hated about B5. JMS started a story arc for a specific number of season/episodes. PTEN only gave them 4 (at the last minute)and then TBS(???) bought/fronted the money for season 5.

Season 5 was very disjointed but at least it got the basic ending of the story arc out there. I did NOT like the "series ending" episode at the end of season 4, very weak, badly acted, discombobulated totaly unbelieveable story/script. I was high dissapointed until I heard that season 5 was positively on and a proper ending was in store. I loved "Sleeping In Light"

SG-1 started out a lot like all flavors of Star Trek (except for maybe Voyager). non-connected weekly stories with some short story arcs thrown in as an afterthought (DS9 the Dominion wars the last 2 seasons Enterprise with the planet killer Voyegar with the general getting back to the Alpha Quad)

SG-1 just had the Ga'old till they got serious (in as trying to really defeat them) and the Ori which seems a little disjointed
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

The reason it works in Castle right now, is because of the characters involved. The writers do just enough to dangle the carrot, while having Castle blow it each and every time by trying to 'Don Juan' it up. It is actually enjoyable.

NCIS will always be on my 'fave' list..as long as Abby is hanging around, but yeah..the Ziva/Tony thing is getting old. Which is odd.because Tony should be able to do it like on Castle..try to 'Don Juan' it up, and blow any chances. For some reason he is starting to fail at that.

Got bored of House a long long time ago.

Human Target is epic, but they need to get back to what they do best and leave the romance bit on the sidelines. While I love Ilsa (spelling?), and am happy they added her..it's an action show..not a romance. Keep it focused on the action. Like Leverage has..only now even they are having tension between a couple of the characters. No..just no. I like the action, keep it on the action!!

I've just about given up trying to figure out Eureka. Poor 'Sheriff Carter' has had more love interests then Axle Rose, as has half the dang cast. I like the show, but pretty much had to stop watching it because it was getting worse then most soap operas.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            SG-1 I'll give you, but B5 was according to Straczynski's plan. The issue they had was that they didn't know if it was actually going to go into a season 5, so they filmed their finale at the end of season 4.
                            That's exactly what I meant though. it was suppose to end at season 4, then he ended up with season 5 and the show suffered overall as a result.

Originally posted by Rackat_Man
                            SG-1 just had the Ga'old till they got serious (in as trying to really defeat them) and the Ori which seems a little disjointed
                            SG-1 had a great send off with "Unending" though. Though my problem with the Ori is that they didn't get enough time to flesh it out and conclude it. The Ori were actually a pretty good idea given that they had to kind of come up with them on the fly. Especially at first, when they were portrayed as very sinister.

Now they offed SGU as well, sigh. SGU took a while to find its footing but it was just starting to get some good episodes going. It had a much better first season ( it seemed to find its voice in the latter half of season 1 ) than most shows could hope for these days. It's biggest problem was it was missing the light hearted humour that Stargate is known for. Yes, it was a more serious show, but it needed a bit more tension breaking than it had. When it did go for funny, it worked ( Either through Eli or the rare occasional O'Neil showed up ).

I need my Stargate fix dammit. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                              Human Target is epic, but they need to get back to what they do best and leave the romance bit on the sidelines. While I love Ilsa (spelling?), and am happy they added her..it's an action show..not a romance. Keep it focused on the action. Like Leverage has..only now even they are having tension between a couple of the characters. No..just no. I like the action, keep it on the action!!
                              Exactly. I WANT to like the additions, but the writters are making it hard when they force this contrived romance down our throats. What I found out is one of the new producers has also worked on the show Chuck, which is partly driven by will the won't they romance. While that was never one of my favorite parts of the show, I can at least accept that it works for the show. If they're trying to make it work for Human Target, they're failing epically.

I haven't watched the first season, but I have a feeling I'd like it a bit better than the current season. Not that I hated this season, quite the contrary, but when I read some criticisms, I can see where they are coming from. The strength definately lies with Winston, Guerreo (sp?) and Chance.

I've just about given up trying to figure out Eureka. Poor 'Sheriff Carter' has had more love interests then Axle Rose, as has half the dang cast. I like the show, but pretty much had to stop watching it because it was getting worse then most soap operas.
                              NO!! Eureka fell into that trap too?! What the hell?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick to death of weepy pop songs plaguing the airwaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                                NCIS will always be on my 'fave' list..as long as Abby is hanging around, but yeah..the Ziva/Tony thing is getting old. Which is odd.because Tony should be able to do it like on Castle..try to 'Don Juan' it up, and blow any chances. For some reason he is starting to fail at that.
                                Nah, I think Tony knows that he and Ziva wouldn't work out. It's obvious that he cares for her (i.e. going to Africa to save her), but not in *that* way. Besides, Rule...12? 11? "Never date a coworker."

I like Pauley Perette, but there hasn't been an original plot for Abby since.....ever. The girl (who's supposed to be super tough, right?) has gotten kidnapped/attacked/harassed more than Princess Peach.

Comment

Working...
                                X