No announcement yet.

It's a fictional character - chill the hell out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really scratching my head at how Ree can possibly be accusing/stereotyping members who play violent video games solely based upon her opinion of modern day violence and how people cope with it.

Selective reading and taking words out of context, much?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      I am really scratching my head at how Ree can possibly be accusing/stereotyping members who play violent video games solely based upon her opinion of modern day violence and how people cope with it.

Selective reading and taking words out of context, much?
      I am not so sure. There are a lot of studies that link movie, video game violence, etc. I don't think Ree is stereotyping, but instead realizing that people can react to various stimulation different ways. While I personally think it is just an excuse used, people do indeed react to various stimulus in different ways.

What I do disagree on, is to blame the movie, game, etc. I won't even get into the 'personal responsibility' part of it. I've made my stance on that pretty clear I believe. If a parent thinks that video games, movies, et al causes issues then it is their responsibility to parent and make sure their children encounter these things in a limited manner. It's not the schools job, it's not societies job, and it's not the governments job. It is on the parents.

Society delivers what people want..and people want their video games, movies, et al. So make sure that the children are well prepared for anything, and understand the difference between fake violence and real violence.

One last little thing. The evening news often has more violence on it then any game or movie. So .. might not want to let them watch the news either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
        There are a lot of studies that link movie, video game violence, etc.
        To trot out an old gem, there's also a link between ice cream sales and homicides. We too often confuse correlation with causation and then call it a day, because it's the easy answer.

[/quote]So make sure that the children are well prepared for anything, and understand the difference between fake violence and real violence.[/quote]
        Knowing the difference between play (fake) and real violence is pretty much instinctual. Even babies know that peekaboo is a game.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          To trot out an old gem, there's also a link between ice cream sales and homicides. We too often confuse correlation with causation and then call it a day, because it's the easy answer.
          So make sure that the children are well prepared for anything, and understand the difference between fake violence and real violence.[/quote]
          Knowing the difference between play (fake) and real violence is pretty much instinctual. Even babies know that peekaboo is a game.

^-.-^[/QUOTE]

Wait, babies of what age? Because there is an age where you start to realize that things exist when you can't see them, but its not for a few months at least.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I agree. I found the same on studies that handgun laws lowered crime when I had to do a paper for college once (about 15 years ago, so no clue where to find the material I used at the time). There were a lot of other factors at the time that could have easily been the cause of the lowered crime, other then the hand gun laws, but it was touted around as a club saying "See gun laws lower crime."

Comment

i haven't read all of the comments yet but ... yes i am the OP who condoned wanting fictional violence.

i also kill men women and children in my favorite rpg just cos i can. and cos sometimes some of the fake characters annoy me.

i guess the question is ... is it wrong for me to do it? some think so and some think not. i guess the better question is.... does this really make me more apt to hit a child? or ... have i ever done so in real life as an adult?

not yet.

i guess that's the thing. thinking something isn't evil
              wishing a fictional character would stfu isn't evil. hell even wanting them to die in the story isn't evil.

(otherwise i'm going to hell for wishing in SGU that greer had shot camile in the head when he had the chance. seriously i hate her character)

evil comes from actually doing harm in real life.

yes people will try to argue that if you see it in fiction it will then happen in real life. but when it crosses the line the people who are doing it are often fucked up in in the first place.

like my little sgu comment. sure i hate camile but would i want to see the actress shot in the head in real life? no i just wish that character would go away. as for the actress... let her have a long happy life. and a job where she plays someone less bitchy than camile (lol)

maybe it's me but my reality and my fiction are two different animals
              and as long as no one is harmed - and no laws are being broken - fictional violence doesn't bother me.

Comment

Working...
              X