No announcement yet.

Wastefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of our furniture in our apartment were curb finds. Our bookshelves, Hubby's desk, a couple of tables. We even had a 42" rear projection TV that had been dumped (now replaced with a more modern TV we bought...the old one was dismantled and taken to a recycler). Our first vacuum, our lawnmower, and our BBQ were all free finds. (We actually picked up the lawn mower, BBQ, and Hubby's desk all in one day. We saw them whilst on the paper route, and returned later with the truck to get them.)

Many things we found curbside that we no longer needed, neighbors or people on Craigslist then found useful. (No one wanted that rear-projection TV, though. Le sigh.) So not only did we find someone's trash useful, but it was then passed on to more people after us.

I won't go through dumpsters, but if it's been hauled to the curb, it is fair game.

Comment

My dad drives for a living, and he constantly finds treasure on curbs and on the side of the road. My mom wants him to quit doing that because it just adds to the other garbage in the basement he has piling up. A lot of stuff he finds doesn't work anymore or looks like it's had many better days and was better off as trash.

I'm a little torn on the trash = treasure view. I am no fan of people coming around here and digging through our garbage or recycling, because I feel like my own safety and comfort are being disrupted. Some of those people are just damn creepy, and they have no qualms of going to anyone's dumpster and having a go at it. I also hate how my landlord goes in there to make sure no one is throwing away stuff that shouldn't be, because that's just going to dirty measures.

I agree that if someone throws it out, it's free for whoever does want to come by and take it, but I don't have a very high opinion of people who are always coming around to see what kind of stuff they can find, or come by multiple times a week to raid your dumpster.

Comment

At the dump in my county, there's a "too good to throw away" part where you can drop off couches, paintings, computer monitors, strollers, etc. We've taken some stuff there.

As for the rotten food in the fridge/freezer? My PILs are famous for that. It disgusts me. I'd rather starve than eat my PILs' house. *shudders*
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

*Shudders* My grandpa-in-law willingly eats rotten fruits and veggies despite being rather well off. Bit of a mummy-jack, but his expression was priceless when my (then) 3 year old told her papa off for eating food that makes him feel nauseous. "If it's a bad tomato, put it in the compost so that you can grow good ones." (He thinks composting is only for hippies.)

Comment

Working...
          X