Selfish Roommates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selfish Roommates

These roommates of mine have been a bother for little over a year now. They are selfish and think the world should revolve around them. I guess it was a shock to them to find out that it doesn't.
    It all started out fine, i was friends with this roommate before I met my bf (his roommate at the time). We got a long fine, even agreed that me moving in with them to be with bf would be a great idea, since it's closer to school, work, and we could hang all the time. Apparently, he didn't expect me to stay long, because as the year progressed, his dick side began to show more and more. He started complaining that I was in the way and that I was just here to live rent free. Not the case, but does anyone listen to anyone besides the dick yelling? No, so i agreed to start paying rent and a fair share of the bills, no problem. But of course, it did not stop there. then he started complaining that I was taking up too much room in the house (everything I brought with me, which wasn't much to begin with, was in mine and my bf's room. How is that taking up too much room?) and that I didn't help out around the house enough. I Dealt with it all without saying a word until last summer. My bf went back home to his native country for a month and a half, while I stayed here, working. Now, during the summer, as many of you on cs.com know, I work a full time job that requires a lot of physical endurance, being outside near idiots with moving metal boxes and in the heat to boot. Everyday, I would wake up WAY before anyone in the house, go to work, come back, and either go to my parents' house for dinner or fall asleep. It was a tiring job and it took me a few weeks to get used to it all again. Well, apparently, this was bad for our roommate because I did so many things that he didn't like it's actually pretty hard to list it. I didn't do any of them. I stayed out of everyone's way, did my dishes and the fair share of cleaning, and just tried to make it seem as if I wasn't there. What he did: treated me as if I was the scum of the earth and called me names and shit behind my back TO MY BF!! (which he did not take lightly); told me that because i "don't technically live here" (my name wasn't on the lease, but paying rent and bills still doesn't count as living there apparently) I wasn't allowed to have ANYONE over, not even my friends that were friends with bf as well, even though my bf told them to hang out with me so I wouldn't be lonely. He showed this one night when I had two, count them, TWO! of my friends over for not even hour when his drunk ass walks in and starts ripping into me as if I'm a child (note: he is only a few months older than I am, physically. Mentally, I'd say hes about 2) and kicked my friends out. He also tried to tell my bf that I cheated on him all summer with a friend of ours, even saying the neighbor was the one who told him (asked neighbor, has no idea what he is talking about.) of course, I didn't and my bf knew this and ripped roommate a new asshole from across the world, it was epic. After that I moved back in with parents until my bf came back a few weeks later. Now to mention something, his gf, who had her own house, would be at the house while he was in class, and had a multitude of people over. Anyone else see the double standard here? Oh, it gets better.
    Over that same summer, we found out that his gf was pregnant. Oh joy, 2 19 year olds without futures are having kids together, isn't it great?! They go on vacation sometime in aug or sept and come back married! Yay, at least he did the right thing! But, it makes all of this even more complicated.
    She had her own house, with lots of room to stay in. Did she ever stay there or did he ever stay there with her? Nope, she stayed at our house up until the day they moved out at the beginning of this week. She never payed rent or bills and walked around as if she owned the place, much like her husband. didn't help that she was pregnant, so we all felt bad for her, but come on! A list things they have done since getting married: taken over the house, literally. We move anything, they starting snarling to put it back, even if it was OUR things; started stealing our food to the point where me and my bf didn't have anything to eat and no money to get more food with; whined and complained that I (not anyone else), I wasn't doing enough to help around the house. (I cleaned, I cooked, I cleaned, I took out trash when your lazy ass wouldn't so our cans wouldn't be full, I shoveled the sidewalks in winter so the mail lady wouldn't fall, I cleaned up after your dumbass cat when it would eat grass and puke it back up, must I continue?); they BOTH took multiple HOUR LONG showers throughout the day (we have one bathroom. If someone is in the shower, we can't go to the bathroom. Multiple times a day for an hour or more means a lot of hurt bladders and shit pants, no joke); and they treat everyone else as if they are lower than them.
    Now this all culminated when they moved out. Our water was shut off. Can you guess who's name had been on the bill? That's right, our lovely roommate. Now we knew he was moving out, but we didn't know exactly when and he said he would let us know. He moves out within two days and says he'll let us know when he gets the bill taken off his name. this was tuesday. Thursday comes and I wake up to no water. He never told us when he was going to have it shut off and oh look, he left us with a back payment, which means he didn't pay a bill. that's strange, because we gave him the money for.....yeah, he used our bill money to pay for our "christmas presnets" and left a back payment for us. Great, thanks asshole. Oh, what's this? You say that you told us the exact date a month ago? But, you weren't even sure if you were leaving or not a month ago, how could this be? Your gf says were knew and could have switched it over and that we're lazy asses? Well, seeing as how he wouldn't let us switch it over (since it was in his name, he had to be there to sign off of it,but he refused to EVERY MOTHER F*ING TIME!) I think it's more of "I wanted to be a dick to them when I leave" instead of our lazyness. You saying I'm childish because I was mad? OF COURSE I'M GOING TO MAD, YOU SHUT OUR WATER OFF WITHOUT TELLING US! You knew we had no money for the deposit, you knew we wouldn't notice until almost closing time, you knew this and yet you keep saying we knew. We HAD NO CLUE! It was sheer luck that our other roommate's parents were willing to let us borrow money or else we wouldn't have water, because it's new years. So now, I have a pregnant bitch wanting to and I quote "come down there and kick your ass!" because of all the stuff THEY have put up with us for the past year. Does anyone else see how retarded this sounds? THEY treat us like shit, and then turn around say WE're the ones doing it all. Their logic astounds me.
    Sorry about the length, I just needed to get these things off my chest. They are gone now and everything is right with the world. Until they come down to visit.

Wow. That's an epic story.

I don't have a story that even compares to yours, but I've only had one roommate, and unless I end up in a very bad financial situation, I will never again live with a friend or roommate. The next person I live with is going to be a longtime boyfriend or fiance. End of that story.

My former roommate was a friend that I had known for a couple of years before we moved in together. I absolutely had to get out of my parents' house, and he had just gotten an apartment and figured if we split everything 50/50, it'd be really cheap for both of us. We got an apartment that was $420 a month, NOTHING included. He also had digital cable and high speed internet as well, so that would be spit in half. All the bills were in his name, and I would write him a check every month for my half of all the utilities and the cable.

No sooner did I move in, a few weeks later he started dating a girl and spent a lot of time at her place. Awesome, so a roommate who is never there, almost as good as living alone! And the first few months of their relationship was such bliss that he practically took everything he could carry over to her place and he only came back to get mail or towels or hygene stuff or fresh clothes. We still split everything 50/50, because this girl was a single mother living in Section 8, as we all know that's illegal for someone who isn't on assistance to be living there with her, so it was like a deal that he'd keep paying the bills for my silence or something.

I think he started either spoiling her too much or realizing he was paying for a place he didn't live at often, because he started screaming at me about the electric bill (it was now winter, and quite cold, as Wisconsin tends to be) and a few times during the day, I woke up to him coming home just to turn the thermostat down! (I work nights and am a very light sleeper). And in the same respect, he tried to make the A/C unit impossible for me to get at later that spring before I moved.

One night we got into a huge fight over the phone because the electric bill was "so high" and he was sick and tired of paying half of the bills and he didn't even live there.

They hit a rough patch in the relationship, and he sort of moved back for a couple of weeks. He made a huge mess of his room and the kitchen and left it that way when they made up and he moved out again.

Notice as I tell this story, the whole point is that he never got off the lease, absolutely refused to actually, but never let me sub-lease or get a new roommate to take his spot when he started refusing to also pay his half of the bills? Their relationship ended up being kind of tumultuous, and I think he never got his own place because he didn't want to pay for his whole entire place, but at the same time, their relationship was rocky so if they fought, he NEEDED a place to stay, so he stayed on the lease with me anyway.

He always paid his half of the rent because I don't think he wanted me to out him for what he was doing, but he went behind my back and took the electric and water bills out of his name. He only warned me about the cable, so it had to be switched to my name, which for some reason cost $50 to do on top of making it all my responsibility then. It was almost April and that's when in Wisconsin they will start turning your electricity off if you don't pay. He sent me a nasty text telling me good luck paying electric and water on my own, this is what I got for wasting electricity over the winter while he wasn't home.

Sorry, I'm babbling. Long story short, since I had also been on a furlough at work because we were slow, my parents had to help me out, I found a new apartment as quick as possible and broke the lease a month early (it was up July 1, I left June 1st). My parents loaned me money for a security deposit on the new place and helped me with the first rent payment just to help me get away from the prick.

Anyway, I settled in and was gone from him forever. Until August. See, he never made me pay anything towards the security deposit on the apartment we split, because he had already been a month in and he said not to worry about it, and the landlord had never said anything to me. But I did receive a bill (how did they even get my new address?!!?!?) for all the "damages" and cleaning costs for the old place after roommate moved out. He must have trashed the place or not even cleaned it, because it exceeded the security deposit quite a bit. I refused to pay it, and he threatened to take me to court. I told him I would call the housing development at the courthouse and tell on him for living with his gf on assistance. He dropped it.

I found out a tad later, he bought a house and moved her and her kid out of Section 8.
    Last edited by blas87; 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

On the bright side, you're rid of him

Actually, that goes for both of you.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
      X