No announcement yet.

A few things in video games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Brann spaz is always a hoot...really, the highlight of the expansion. One of these days he's going to destroy Azeroth, entirely by accident.
    Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Well, I hit 80 last night, so I'll get to start exploring the wild, wonderful world of Cata today. So glad to be back in the new questing system. Sorry, but I don't understand why they streamlined all the questing for 1-60 and 80-85 and left 60-80 alone. Trying to get through Outlands and Northrend *sucked*.

Speaking of things that annoy me, Fiance and I were talking about what zone I should start in, and he said, "Well, you won't get ganked as much in Vashir" *sigh* Not this shit again. Why did I let him talk me into staying on his RPPvP server again?

Comment

A handheld game should have an option to auto-save when it starts to power down. One of the things I loved about my PSP is the way it'd save exactly what I was doing when I turned it off...when I powered it back up, I was just were I was. Otherwise, as Rage said, battery life can ruin your fun fairly easily
        Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Console games didn't originally have the capability to save as it required writable memory on the cartridge. Remember password systems? ( Hissss~ ). If I recall correctly, the first Zelda was the first one to sport the ability to save your progress without a passcode ( Remember Metroid? Gah. ). New technology ( Game saving was still pretty new when it came out ) and limited data space are likely why Faxanadu spited you so. Including a save feature on the cartridge actually cost more money back then, it was new territory.

"Save Points" are largely a console trapping that started as a requirement and is still being held onto as tradition. It tends to creep up in Japanese games more often than Western games though. As they're very traditionalist at times.

I don't mind save points in a game where the ability to save at any time would function to reduce its difficulty. Or in simpler games like platformers that have small digestable levels. That said, no FPS or RPG should have save points these days. You should be able to save everywhere provided you're out of combat ( as that would alleviate the concern it could be used to make the game too easy. )

Unskippable cut scenes though? Those are a crime against humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Evandril View Post
            A handheld game should have an option to auto-save when it starts to power down. One of the things I loved about my PSP is the way it'd save exactly what I was doing when I turned it off...when I powered it back up, I was just were I was. Otherwise, as Rage said, battery life can ruin your fun fairly easily
            What also sucks is that I'm getting to the end of the game, yet still have some of those coins to collect (want to get the bonus world). This is going to be a problem since there are no more secrets I can buy and as far as I can tell, I don't get a save option if I redo a fortress or castle. So since I still have coins I need to collect, I may have to get them all in one feel swoop. Otherwise, I will have to do it over and over again which is just not fun.

If it were a shitty game that AVGN would review, it wouldn't bother me so much, but it's fucking mario! It's an otherwise great game hindered by a flaw that could have been easily fixed.

Comment

I like cutscenes sometimes; the ones that pop up in SF4 and SSF4 are extremely watchable.

One thing that pisses me off is Loads and Loads of Loading. The worst game ever for that which I have played would be Sonic Next Gen. Argh. -.-
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Evandril View Post
                On the DS, if you close the system, it goes into standby mode. It can hold that point for days. It's great for when you need to stop till you get to a power cord, or you get interrupted. But it shouldn't be a necessary resort over having a reasonable save option.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^I love that.

This will seem really childish of me but I dislike the Barbie Fashion Show game because of the lack of save points. In the game, you're given an assignment: you have to design 3-5 outfits, then go and put them on the models and decide how the models will look, then go set up everything on the runway including how the models will walk down it...and then watch the runway show and take pictures.

Only AFTER the entire show is done and you've decided what pictures you want to save, can you save your progress.

It's incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has a lot of save points, I like that...although it's sometimes annoying to have to backtrack to your bed. But also cool that you can quick-save when you're completing a mission in a dungeon...
                  "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Unskippable cut scenes though? Those are a crime against humanity.
                    Okay, for a gamer, I can understand that.

But I'm more of an "observer", and I can't tell you how many times I've wished that Mr. Boozy's games had unskippable cut scenes.

I usually read a book while he's playing, but every so often I find myself getting into the "story" of one of his RPG video games. Only to find that he's skipping so many cut scenes that I lose the narrative.

It's his perogative, obviously.

Comment

By reading these posts... it's obvious that some of you would not be able to handle Rick Dangerous. XD Unfair deaths, and if you lose all your lives you go right back to the beginning of the first level, no matter which level you were on. XXD

Comment

The loading thing is awful! I like to play Fight Night on the boy's xbox and every five seconds I'm waiting for something to load. Start game. Load. Select Career. Load. Select Sign Contract. Load. Select fighter. Load. Select training. Load. Select type of training. Load. Train. Load. Select Fight. Load......

My own video game pet peeve - on the rpg types where you do lots of questing, I hate doing something and then finding out I have to do it again. Like in world of warcraft. You'll get a quest to go get some random object. Guarding this object is like ten demons. You slay the demons, then get the object, then find out your next quest is to slay ten demons.

I wish they'd just let you "pre-empt" the quests. Like if one quest is to collect Murloc Eyes, then every murloc should drop an eye whether you're on that quest or not.

Comment

Dr. Faroohk, that's gotten a lot better post-Cata, at least for Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, and the Cata areas. Outlands and Northrend still suck.

Comment

Yeah but it still sucks sometimes. I just wish you could instantly cash in your quest if you already killed whatever he was going to ask you to.

Comment

Also; The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard. This shows up mostly in fighting games, where the computer controlled character you're fighting manages to pull off combos that are impossible to do in real life, or dodges attacks that you'd have to have lightning reflexes to dodge.

Comment

^Oooh, I hate that. It's like...um NO if I can't do that [and it's not because of my level of skill, that is ], YOU don't get to do that either. Bad computer.
                                "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Working...
                                X