Sudafed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudafed

Well, I don't hate it, but I hate how they are treating it.

Now I do understand that they have to take steps to ensure that people don't use it to make Meth-amphetamine. I can deal with that. I don't mind that I have to take a tag to the Pharm counter and have them pull it from the back shelves. I also do not mind the fact that they track my Driver's License number to make sure that I'm not buying a package of Sudafed at each of the 30 stores that sell it in my area.

What I do mind however is how stupid they have gotten about it.

Case in point. All five of us in the family are sick with this upper respiratory illness that is going around. It gives you a low-grade fever, makes you feel wiped out, and totally @#$%s up your sinuses.

And according to the Doctor, it's not the flu.

So on the Doctor's advice, we are to get Tylenol (or generic) which will take care of the fever, eat some bananas for the ache and general malaise (this disease it seems also mucks with your electrolyte balance), and take some 24-hour Sudafed for the sinuses.

Now some may say "Well what about that Sudafed PE stuff?" Well it may work for some people, but for my family (and many of my friends) the "PE" stands for Placebo Effect.

Seriously, I could pop the 4-hour stuff like a 5-year old with a box of TicTac's and not have the slightest effect.

So for my family, this means that we have to go to the Pharm counter and get it. Except that we @#$%ing can't. We are not allowed to.

With the real Sudafed, you are tracked. So if you buy a 10 day package of the 24 hour Sudafed, you may not buy another package until the 10 days has passed. And only one box per License (or other government issued ID). And the sale is restricted so no one under the age of 18 can buy them.

My wife (the least sick of the lot) tries to explain that I am totally flattened in bed from a lack of sleep caused by a lack of being able to @#$%ing breathe and having the worst symptoms of the lot, and that the kids can't but it for themselves.

The "helpful" pharmacist informed my wife that we shouldn't give it to children.

Mind you that they are...
    1. Over the age of 12 which is considered the "adult" dosage age for many medicines.
    2. Over the age of 16 which is the adult dosage age for the rest.
    3. Under the advice of their Doctor (you know, the chap or chap-ess who wend to school for a buttload of years to be able to do this shit) to take the medicine.

Nope, Only one package per person of age per the duration of the package's dosage and you REALLY shouldn't be buying any medicines for someone other than yourself.

So my wife bought one package and we all took one. The next day I had to drag my sick, coughing, sneezing, probably contagious ass out of bed and contaminate the local pharmacy just to satisfy this stupid ass law.

Again I understand that it's there to prevent people from making Meth, but honestly how much meth can they make off of 2-10 packs of Sudafed? Couldn't the Government realize that perhaps allowing the non-sick people of a family buy the meds so that the sick and plague carrying members don't spread death, disease and devastation to a place that dispenses medicines to everyone including the immune compromised members of society?

Nope! To prevent some tard from making Meth (which doesn't really seem to be slowing them down in the slightest judging from all the homes in my area that have blown the @#$% up), they are going the make it so that the sick people can't get their medicines with out the blessings of at least three Popes.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

What else is there to say but "amen"?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I agree, that's a stupid rule, 2 packs shouldn't be an unreasonable amount. Could you get a note from the Doctor about it? Would that make a difference?

Comment

That is dumb, especially if they see from their tracking system that you don't do this on a regular basis.

I miss the old sudafed when it was just on the counter. I'm not even sure what that PE shit does.

Comment

I didn't realize that you couldn't purchase more before the amount of days the box is supposed to last is up. That's really stupid. Because of course a household would buy a separate package for each member

I understand the thought behind the laws as well, but as you said, it doesn't seem to be slowing production down anyway and making the laws more strict will only negatively affect those who honestly need the medicine to start feeling better.

Also, the pharmacist said a person shouldn't buy over the counter medicine for someone other than him-/herself? I can understand that thought process more for prescription medicine, but over the counter? Really? You still have to be careful of drug interactions, but to me over the counter isn't as risky, hence why they sell it without a prescription. Oy.

Comment

This is the idiotic shit that happens in the real world after legislators pass some ill-conceived laws to placate the masses.

Legislators are almost powerless to stop the spread of drugs in time for the next election. There are complex social and economic factors at play, and the drug problem can't be solved quickly. It's something that needs to happen over time.

But politicians can't say that and still get votes - the electorate demands actions NOW! - so they pass this law that says people can't buy two boxes of Sudafed at a time.

Done! The spread of meth has been stopped cold. The people rejoice.

You ought to buy another box after the ten days has passed (and hopefully your cold too), and stockpile for the next time. Store them in a cool, dry, dark place.
            Last edited by Boozy; 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

wow at least my state says you can buy up to a certain mg amount of the "bad ingredient". Last time I bought something with that in it I was able to get three 24 tablet boxes.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I have been ID'ed for buying the Walgreen's version of Night/Dayquil and some other off brand of cold/sinus medication.

It's really irritating. I don't express myself about it to the cashier, but it really annoys me that a bunch of junkies have ruined cold medication shopping for the average joe who just wants to feel better.

Comment

My husband has gotten carded at Target for buying canned air 'cuz apparently kids can get high off it, or something, so now they track who and how much people buy.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    It's really irritating. I don't express myself about it to the cashier, but it really annoys me that a bunch of junkies have ruined cold medication shopping for the average joe who just wants to feel better.
                    That's how I see it too, Blas. I've been carded for even the store-brand medicine. Add me to the group that has sinus and allergy issues. But, what really annoys me, is having to fill out a form and wait in line...just to get my fucking cold medicine. Every time I go in there, another form, another handing over ID, and another 15-20 minutes wasted. Seriously? Once again, people who need the product legally are getting screwed.

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, we actually had a laundry list of items we were supposed to watch people buying, and that was more of a hint of cooking meth than just plain old Sudafed.

These items were only to be considered suspicious if bought all together or in large amounts together.

Comment

you REALLY shouldn't be buying any medicines for someone other than yourself.
                        so they want kids to buy their own meds now?

Comment

in my state you can't buy Nyquil and Dayquil at the same time. Though it is fine if they are packaged together. One time at Costco (few years ago), my Mom and I had gone shopping. The cashier said I couldn't buy the 2 at the same time but my Mom could buy one for me. It make much sense to us but whatever.

I just have the id ready for anything that could maybe possibly make someone high. Then grumble in my car about the idiots that have screwed up being able to buy stuff.

Comment

So let me get this straight, only the person who is sick can buy Sudafed for themselves? Even if they are too sick to go to the pharmacy themselves? God what stupid laws. I think we should do away with these restrictions. If someone gets high off of it, than that's their own problem. It shouldn't be the governments job to go out of their way to make sure people don't harm themselves.

Comment

Be glad that your not in one of the states that’s trying/already made it impossible to even get Pseudoephedrine with out a prescription. Take a look at Tennessee and Indiana. They’re both trying to make it harder to get actual working cold medicine due to the fear of drug addicts making meth from it. What’s really messed up is how the laws requiring over the counter cold medicine to be sold has in fact dropped US home made production - only to have it explode in illegal imports. Go Mexican drug cartels, thanks for filling that gap in consumer want with a more potent drug. Thanks federal lawmakers for leaving me with a stuffed up nose and the inability to breath due to purchasing restrictions.

FYI: The daily limit of pseudoephedrine that may be purchased is 3.6g. You cannot buy products containing more than 9g of pseudoephedrine in any 30 day period. So far the highest dose item I've been able to find is Walgreens extra strength. I can only buy one 15 pill 24hour relife package a month of this stuff. I'm pretty much SOL when it comes to the rest of the month if eather I or hubby are having allergies. Never mind the kids. This stuffs to potent for them and luckly they dont seem to have the allergy problems we do.

As for using phenylephrine. Well the good new is the FDA still says that it works. The bad new is other research is showing it works about as well as a placebo. Great if your mind does actually make you better. Not so good if you actually need meds.
                              Last edited by KitterCat; 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: misspelled

Comment

Working...
                              X