Hypocritical "advice"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocritical "advice"

Okay well I don't know if the title is the best, I suck at coming up with them.

I was talking to a friend of mine online. We're both trying to get into a more healthy lifestyle and lose some weight. Now, I mentioned once that I was considering looking into a gym/community centre place near me. Now she continually bugs me about checking it out, and today she told me I make too many excuses. Which is funny, because I hear way more excuses from her. She keeps complaining about not being able to exercise in her place, because it shakes when anyone jumps or even walks (it's a trailer), yet she won't go outside for a walk by herself because "the neighbours will think I'm weird" which really is the lamest excuse ever, mainly because she rarely even talks to her neighbours, and it's a frigging walk! It's not like she's doing jumping jacks in the middle of the road. Yet she gives me crap about not doing one thing, which I'm not doing right now because I simply can't afford to do it. I don't have a job right now, so I'm trying to find ways to work out at home, or go for walks and eat better.

It's just aggravating to hear from her "well just go do it, it's not that bad!" when she won't take the same damned advice! She complained about the whole walking thing, and I told her what she tells me "just go do it!" Yet she manages to come up with so many excuses why not, but it's not okay for me to have legit ones (such as money). And even if I'm not employed I still have stuff I need to do during the day, job hunting is a major part of that, and it does take up time, it should, when you're looking for a job you should treat it as a job until you find one. At least that's how I look at it. And yes, my job hunt requires me to be online a lot, that's simply how things in my field work, e-mails are much more appreciated than showing up at a firm/office and giving a resume.

I'm just annoyed that she seems to think she can order me around, but she can go on her merry way and do whatever the heck she wants. It's not like I actually follow her "orders" as we aren't even living in the same town, but it's annoying nontheless.

Sounds like she wants to go do something but needs someone else to go do it first. More of a leader in words but a follower in action.

It is annoying, I agree with that.

Comment

The only thing more annoying than an exercise junkie telling everyone to "Just do it!" is a couch potato telling people the same thing.

She's trying to be supportive, though. Maybe if you take her advice, no matter how hypocritical, you'll inspire her?

Comment

I would take her advice if I could afford to. She doesn't seem to understand the fact that I can't afford to just go join a gym. I do go for walks fairly regularly and I work out at home.

I know she's trying to be supportive, and I am with her too. and to a certain extent it's fine, because we both help eachother meal plan and everthing like that, but she doesn't seem to want to take the reason of not being able to afford to join a gym as a real reason. It's annoying because she complains about being broke but she really doesn't have any debt to speak of, plus a job that pays something like $16/h +, yet tells someone like me with student loan debt and no job to just go and buy a gym membership that costs upwards of $50/month. I love her to death, but she doesn't understand that kind of stuff at all and I can't seem to get that through her head.

Hell I'm not even sure if a gym is the right option for me. I've already lost a few lbs exercising at home and walking. And in the past I lost 10lbs just by walking to work every day (a 15 min walk or so) and not doing anything else.

Comment

It sounds hypocritical to me.

If it makes you feel better, my bf who still lives with his parents and shows no signs of saving any money to move out has been lashing out at me lately for wanting to renew my lease, as much as I hate this place, right now I can't afford a new security deposit for a new place, and overtime is really going to prevent any free time to look for a new place, unless I took a day off. He screams "You'll make any excuse to not change the way things go for you!"

Comment

Working...
          X