SMS spam or a wrong number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMS spam or a wrong number?

This isn't really a thing I hate but it doesnt fit in the other sections (that I can see)

Late Novermber I got a few text reminders of a doctors appointment early in December asking me to confirm with an unknown area code, at first I took it to be a wrongly entered number and ignored it, then I got a few more from a text only number (ie too short for a telephone number and more the text win to bla bla bla) with more of the same ending with
    "U cant txt a reply"
    The day came and went and I didn't get any missed calls or owt, then last week I got another about my injury claim again from the same number.

If it was a genuine company looking for someone else with a similar number, U cant txt a reply, seems well unprofessional hence me thinking spam.

Has anyone encountered this before?

And no I didn't call the number just incase it opened up the floodgates to more unwanted SMS's

I've gotten text messages claiming that my <Bank A> account has been compromised, and to please call a given 800 number to fix...whatever.

Problem is, I'm with <Bank B>. I've never had an account or any dealings whatsoever with small local <Bank A>. Makes me wonder if the utilities company lost a database with local numbers or something...but yeah, it was a scam, as the number was close but not exactly the same as that bank's. Not only do we have SMS spam, but we have SMS phishing, too. Lovely, isn't it?

Comment

We had a big SMS phishing scam where members of a local credit union were targeted. I hear some from my CU also got phishing SMS messages. There's now a warning on our credit union's site and signs in the building alerting customers to the scams.

Comment

have you tried putting the number into google?

Comment

Working...
        X