Pipe dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe dreaming

Now its good to have dreams of "if I won the lottery" etc and this isn't a counter to what's happening in the "What their money isn't good enough?" thread, but more towards in my case a specific pipe dream by said dreamer.

Thursday night he held a one off event at a local, but wrong end of town, night club. It cost him
    £100.00 for the club
    £170.00 to hire a DJ to come all the way from Manchester, a DJ from a late bar he freqented when he was visiting his family in a near by village
    £whatever the DJ equiptment cost as the DJ only used the club he worked at gear and didnt have his own.
    all in all £350-400
    He got the takings of the door and the club the bar, once he got his flyers (free from his uncle) he was handing em out and leaving em at various places like take aways and the local YMCA.

Come the night no cometh the people, I was the only one in around 10pm and it wasn't till gone 11 that we got our only real customers in after his mate who was working on the unused cloakroom left some at a nearby bar. They closed at 11 and the few that were left came here to continue drinking.
    Me and his mate were pleased for him that someone paid to get in (aside from myself) but he no way near made a fraction of his money back £40 tops and although we can't say 100% what went wrong
    the location being too far for a casual glance compared to town centre
    the location itself doesn't advertise itself or future events, not even a website
    the timing, a thursday night or so soon after christmas and new years
    etc
    The guy running it said he should try again and the DJ did express an interest in an easter thursday, but hey, hes getting paid even if no one shows up.

now this isnt the pipe dream, going again learning from mistakes or even knowing what really was the main detractor are things that can be fixed.

no.
    Turns out the club is on the market for £120,000 leasehold (would explain the current management not advertising via the web) and he started a what if convo via IM
    Fine and dandy if you accept the fact that you will never get the money together, he has credit card debt up to his eyeballs and iir I've posted that he's paying only a token quid a month and his mother now controlls his finances.
    Even if he, myself and his friend could formulate a business plan and be equal share holders with a business loan it's not something that should be taken lightly, none of us would be able to give up our day jobs and would have to change our shifts to be off the weekend, that or go to our other jobs with little to no sleep (11am my current start time, I'd be screwed working at 6am, one of the reasons I've only been to 3 night clubs in 12 months is the fact that I probably did work 6am most weekends), it says the gross (I think gross is before deductions I always get them two mixed up) can be £180,000PA, it doesn't mean you would be financially in the clear within the first year.
    As I said re the one night event, even with flyers etc, its just the wrong end of town and never really looks open when I pass some weekends, they closed for a time not so long before or after I moved down here due to not having a valid licence, which means one or all of us would have to take the courses needed or hire someone with them.
    Expence after expence after expence

Couple in the attic would be more suited for this in a way, he has a valid door licence and she working in a pub knows more about that side of the bar than we do and is more suited to gaining the qualifications needed to sell booze.
    £12k split between 10 equal share holders, £6k for 20, at a push I could do £6k for a 20th stake, no way could I get 10% and I don't know anyone who could get enough people interested and or qualified to run it.

Yet I'm sure for the next few weeks its going to crop up in conversations, but short of winning at least that ammount on the lottery (which I don't play) this is only going to be a pipe dream I will bore of very quickly.
    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM. Reason: fingers need a break from typing

I kinda get what you mean, I think. I've felt the same way.

I'm a writer, and a lot of time I have ideas that I could never work, because it would be too complicated, or would just not happen. I usually try to do what I can, but in some cases it just wouldn't work.

I had an idea that I thought would make a great TV show. Obviously, I could never have a TV show filmed, picked up, etc, so this idea has to languish. I still think about what I COULD have done, though.

In the meantime, I got a webcomic and play to write.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Well with the writing thing you can atleast write the script and get it out of your system.

A few months ago he was asking me about how he could get the rights to make a movie adaptation of the manga sequel to Labyrinth, which TBH I didn't even know existed, I've seen some low budget movies and a few mid range ones via vodo.net, the pilot to pioneer one cost money and they reshot that too (change of actor one reason) then they released it for free as a torrent (all vodo stuff is that way) with donate buttons on the website.
      If people are willing and able to collectivly get the cash together for a feature for donations, it can be done, but these are writer/producer director/producer self financed, not optioning the rights to a sequel and having NO budget whatsoever to even get that far.

His best pipe dream TBH was not so long after I met him, I agreed to meet him at a fancy pizza place with a bar, don't know why we didn't just go to a pub but hey ho it was years ago. He got there first and I got there half hour or so later, I had recently got a travel guid about the trans siberian express and was talking about it.
      "I might join you."
      "I havn't even thought about when I would go, haven't even got a pass port." And still haven't
      "Well when you go I might join you." Whatever "Can Jessica come too?"
      "Who's Jessica?"
      "The bar maid."
      Seriously the girl behind the bar that he met half hour previously, I swear, he probably had their first childs name down already by that point.

Re, the Nightclub though, I cannot justify a 20% investment and I don't know anyone who could, I just see that club closing down one day and never opening back up.

Comment

Well with the writing thing you can atleast write the script and get it out of your system.
        But it doesn't, really. I could write the script for a pilot and an episode or two, but I couldn't write a whole series.

Comment

You probably don't need to, most shows end up being multi writer affairs, the only one that sticks out to me being predominantly writer/creator, is babylon 5, true he might not have written every show, but his hand was in the show to make sure it abided by his story arc as it was not episodic like Star Trek TNG.

As long as you have the main characters fleshed out enough for other writers to work with.

I think most TV and comic books are like this, the creator writes the first few and then the studio/publisher just hires someone to continue going with it instead of waiting for the next installment to be ready.

I recently watched all episodes of Xmen Evolution on marvel's youtube channel, I have no idea how many writers were on the first season, but as the first season's two part finale was written by two different writers and they joined up, says to me someone in the writing team was in controll of an over all arc to stop it contradicting itself, other seasons seemed looser, but the first had characters being introduced and two writers couldn't introduce the same character with different origin stories, that would be silly.

My book, I think is finished, its not all written down and some is on paper un organized and others on another unplugged harddrive, but I think I eventually closed one part of the story and I never felt I needed to or could continue and I haven't written anything since

Comment

Seeing as my side job is writer/game designer, I am quite use to dealing with the crushing inability to fullfill any of my dreams without massive funding. You get use to it and scale back accordingly till you can fit it within the budget. >.>

Comment

I just put it aside as a pipe dream, and focus on the ones I can write.

I am blessed with constantly thinking of new ideas.

But let's get back on topic. I think I can agree that pipe dreams can be painful. At the same time, we need them.

I get scratch tickets sometimes. But only when I'm really down. For some reason, they cheer me up. Kinda like a bright spot that can jerk me back up. Usually I don't win anything, and if I do, its only like 5-10 dollars, but it still feels fun to scratch them off. Pipe dreaming can be fun.

But I do understand the frustration when you can't fulfill all of your dreams

Comment

Working...
              X