Something I like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I like...

There's not really a "things I like" section that I can tell so I'll post this one here...

As I said over at CS... I moved to Kentucky and am pretty close to the Tennessee border.

What I like? ... All the flipping gun stores. Seriously there's a lot of them here. I never saw gun stores back in NY other than the "sport / hunting" section at Walmart or Dicks. but here it's shotguns, rifles, handguns and assorted gear to go with them.

Not only that but most of the gun stores I've been to have private (often underground or at least indoor) ranges. Don't even have to have to be registered to carry... you can rent a gun from them (tho you have to buy their ammo) or you can use someone else's gun (that person has to be registered however).

So far I've been able to fire at two ranges to get a feel for handguns before I buy one. And yes I will be getting one. And a concealed carry. I might not actually carry but... well I'd rather have a CCL and not use it vs. not being able to carry if I need to.

What I have to decide on now is what kind of firearm to get. So far I've shot 9mm, 40mm and a 22 rifle. but i'm considering maybe a revolver instead of a magazine loaded gun. though hell ... i can always get one of each.

But that's what I like. There's a lot of gun stores here and I'd like to get my own. And that will happen.

Nice! My dad is from the 'backwoods' of Floyd County. Use to joke that you had to pipe the sunlight in (not too far from the truth ). Now..visit Texas..you will think that Kentucky doesn't have enough gun stores (Though Kentucky does have quite a few). Or so I hear. :P

Comment

slightly OT but

when I first moved into my state I realized how MANY "adult" type stores there were. just driving one of the main highways you would see one at every exit or along an access road. not that I go into those establishments very often
      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

And I shall call you my newest friend now lol. that's on my list of why I love living in Arizona, can pretty much go anywhere that's 1.5 miles from a building outside city limits and shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf
          So far I've been able to fire at two ranges to get a feel for handguns before I buy one. And yes I will be getting one. And a concealed carry. I might not actually carry but... well I'd rather have a CCL and not use it vs. not being able to carry if I need to.
          This is an utterly Canadian question, but need too for what? >.>

( I know, I probably won't understand the answer. Sorry, I'm Canadian. )

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            This is an utterly Canadian question, but need too for what?
            Um in the US it has been ruled that the police have NO DUTY to protect you(Warren v. District of Columbia). So I'll use myself as an example:

I have several stalkers, they know where I live.
            If one of them attempts to harm me or break into my apartment, even if I call 911, the police have no duty to respond. If my stalker rapes or kills me while I'm waiting for the police that may or may not show up, they are not responsible for protecting me. Does that explain it? Or the cliche-"when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I have had a dispatcher tell me that the abusive ex standing outside my apartment scraping on the screen with a knife wasn't anything they could deal with, and to call them back if he actually harmed me or attempted to gain entry." Because unless the landlord called in they couldn't even get him on trespassing.

several other cases are discussed here-yes it is a pro firearm website, however you can google the case names for more unbiased views-warren v. district of columbia has a wiki page devoted to it.(the Warren case is quite disturbing-police were called several times about intruders-as in actually in the dwelling, never did show up despite dispatchers assuring they were "on the way", and the 3 women involved were repeatedly raped over a 14 HOUR PERIOD, with no police response)
            Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Yup. In the US, police have no obligation to protect the populace and the news has no obligation to report the truth.

Go us. 9.9

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                Um in the US it has been ruled that the police have NO DUTY to protect you(Warren v. District of Columbia). So I'll use myself as an example:
                I don't mean to sound callous, but not everyone is you with your circumstances in your area. You have a population of 307 million, so a handful of examples doesn't a rule make. But seeing as we have Gun Debate Thread(tm) #746 already going on in another forum, not much point in arguing over it it yet another thread. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  Yup. In the US, police have no obligation to protect the populace and the news has no obligation to report the truth.
                  I hope you won't feel insulted, but to someone from a country where newspapers can be held accountable for unethical behaviour and where the police exist to protect the populace against crime, it sounds repellent.
                  I begin to understand .
                  (Not that the newspapers don't lie or the police doesn't abuse their power in Denmark, but at least they don't have the right to do so.)

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post

As I said over at CS... I moved to Kentucky and am pretty close to the Tennessee border.

I hope you're either:

a. A non drinker

or

b. Located in one of the FEW southern KY counties that are not dry.

Not that there's not ways around those things, mind you. *whistles innocently*

Comment

The concept of "dry" counties is horrifying to me.

I can't believe there are still areas of the States experimenting with Prohibition.

Comment

I grew up and went to undergrad in a dry county. There are liquor stores on every road as soon as you cross the county line. It was voted dry during the Vietnam War, when most of the young men were overseas. A bunch of little old church ladies shoved the legislation through. People have been trying ever since to get it reversed, but it's a very, *very* church-heavy county and there's always the old folks and the uppity Christians saying how drinking is the devil and that it'll increase drunk driving and so on and so forth. Of course that's bull, the only thing the law is doing is giving that tax money to other counties.

They did finally pass a few loophole laws that allow private clubs to serve alcohol, and that restaurants can set themselves up as "private clubs." Now there's actually some good restaurants there. But it still baffles me.

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                          slightly OT but

when I first moved into my state I realized how MANY "adult" type stores there were. just driving one of the main highways you would see one at every exit or along an access road. not that I go into those establishments very often
                          hah. i found out there's 3 in a row near the state border here. my bf said they're off limits to military. so it was rather funny that we saw 2 guys in a car outside the stores who were pretty obvious. very few civilian men have hair like that.

[quote]
                          This is an utterly Canadian question, but need too for what? >.>
                          Because I can.

(as for actual need... if there's some reason where i have to carry one of my bf's firearms i'll be legally able to)

b. Located in one of the FEW southern KY counties that are not dry.
                          i know lynchburg tn is dry but i'm unaware of any dry counties here in KY.
                          and if there are any... i'm not in them
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X