The sexist attitude of my managers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sexist attitude of my managers.

I guess this attitude has always been there, but I seriously did not notice it until about a month ago.
    Why? Well because that's when they started training up the new supervisor.

Backstory:
    I work at an independently owned liquor store that is part of a larger company that includes a restaurant and brewery. It's pretty tight-knit. I was hired there as a cashier nearly 1 1/2 years ago. I started off with about 1 shift a week, but through hard work and persistence, I now work there 4-5 days a week (while I work the other 2 days at my other job).

Recently, a few of our supervisors have left the job (1 person "quit", 1 went back to school, 1 found a better job) and so there was a vacancy that needed filling pretty soon. As soon as I found out I immediately sought out my scheduling manager (SM) as he would be one of the managers who would decide who would get promoted. I also asked my supervisors if they could put in their recommendations for me being promoted.
    At the time it seemed pretty cut and dry. I was the most experienced at the job, I had previous supervisor experience, and the only complaint I had against me was one coworker who didn't want me to become supervisor because I would make him do work.

Finally, the new schedule was posted just before the new year that showed the new supervisor. When the SM posted it up, I had a long line through my till so I didn't have a chance to go and look at it. 5 minutes later SM had to suddenly go home. It wasn't until nearly an hour later that I had a chance to look at it, and I only did so because the night supervisor (NS) nervously asked me if I'd seen it yet.

I was not supervisor. A male coworker (CW) had been promoted ahead of me.

This is why I was pissed:
    CW has never had any supervisor experience before, CW had not expressed any previous interest in being Sup, CW has only been working at the company for about 5 months, CW had never even counted a till before, and lastly, CW was nervous around confrontational customers.

I immediately phoned the SM who did not answer, but instead sent me a message saying we would talk about it in work the next day.

The next day, SM avoided me for the most part of the day, and only finally approached me near the end of the shift to inform me that the reason that CW had been made Sup was because CW had a more open availability (I pointed out that I can be available for any shift, any day as long as I'm given prior notice for Tuesdays and Thursdays, as I had told him previously) and it was so he could drive a forklift (nearly conceded this until he let slip that CW didn't have a forklift license right now but that the company was paying for him to get one). SM had to suddenly leave to go home straight after that talk.

So yeah. I was not a happy camper, but I got on with my work and tried not to be too bitter.

During training NS bbm'd me about CW's slow progress and his inability to grasp counting a till correctly. Made me smile a bit. Not that I want him to fail though. I am still friends with him.

Finally, nearly 1 week later SM cornered me in the beer cooler to let me know they had decided to make me a casual supervisor with 1 Sup shift a week. He also straight out said it was because he thought I was going to quit and they would be down one of their best workers.
    I agreed.
    But I feel like that's like giving me a bunch of flowers after throwing dog poo at me. Nice, but it doesn't make up for what they'd done to me just before.

Additional:
    I should also point out in regards to my store;
    -NS was not originally promoted to that position. She too had an inexperienced male cashier promoted ahead of her. It was only after she confronted upper management that she was trained as supervisor. This was just over a year ago, and NS now does all deposits and main paperwork demanded by management as well as her own work.
    -Another supervisor, also a girl, was only promoted because the company was desperate for a supervisor after a rash of people quit and there were currently no guys working in the liquor store at the time. She had been working there for over 4 years.
    -I found out that another male CW had been ahead of me in the running for Supervisor. At the time he had already had 3 complaints against him, had received 1 written warning, and has been given no shifts recently because of serious complaints about his behaviour by staff from the restaurant (the staff party was not good for him). He had been working there only 4 months.
    -One of the last male supervisor (the son of one of the higher managers) was made to "quit" recently due to laziness and improper behaviour *coughsexwithhisgirlfriendintheofficewhenhedidaclo singshiftcough*.

And yet my boobs made me not the best candidate for full-time supervisor.
    If only the job market was better...
    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
    Josh Thomas

if you are in the US, I bet your local EEOC office would love to hear about this, gender discrimination is illegal.

And promoting someone that is male and lacks skill set over someone that is female and has the required skill set, yeah they can claim it's availability but the EEOC has a habit of being able to see through that BS real easy-trust me*

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

you have 180 days to file-and can do so at a field office-you can fill out an assessment here to determine if you have a discrimination case worth investigating, but it seems that you do.

Go for it-I've dealt with them previously-the investigators are quite professional, and know how to question without leading or giving away what they think. I've managed to "win" three separate cases for gender discrimination. One that it looked like I would lose, once it got to mediation, the business owner saw what his employees were doing to me, and agreed to settle so I wouldn't sue, the mediators helped with telling me what I should have in my settlement conditions as I had no idea, I just hated being treated like a servant because I was the only female in an auto parts store(not to mention the $2 less per hour in pay, and the harassment/snide comments).

*part of one of my filings was due to males making $7-$9/hr while I made $5 for the same work(I self-taught how to use the parts look up computers and catalogs as the males were always "too busy", and as a woman, shouldn't i be cleaning something?), they claimed I was hired as "just a cashier" but when we were short staffed due to several employees quitting, I stepped up, and was doing the exact same work for less pay. Yup violation.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-21-2011, 01:05 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
    X