ruined library books, something should be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruined library books, something should be done

let it be known my definition of ruined is that its still salvageable to an extent or that it has to be replaced. Where in ruined should be where its unreadable period.

The local library is great, books, dvd's all the standard material and I know they work so hard. But I wonder who checks the returned materials. This is the third time we've gone to the library (hubs, myself and daughter) and come home to find our choice of books and dvds has at least one or two books ruined and two badly scratched dvd's that even the dvd player cannot play without skipping or pausing or skewing in general. Even after very careful attempts to clean it.

Each time we've returned we skip the book return and go straight to the counter to point out the damaged book and or dvd.
    This time I got a disney princess book and villains book, a manga for me and three dvd's for us to watch. The disney princess book was horribly water damaged to the point the pages were like wet cloth - not wet but very easily torn and weakened if not already almost torn off. Still readable but the quality of it was seriously diminished.
    Two of the three dvd's were unwatchable, the dvd had trouble getting to the menu function.

I am all for librarys in our towns, but sometimes I wonder why if some patrons cannot properly take care of their materials. Not blaming all patrons.
    Some fault if any may lay with the librarians or those in charge of checking the returned materials. I know that alot of it is wear and tear over time, but some of this is intentional damage such as left out in the rain, taking pens or crayons to it or a gouge scratch that really shouldn't be there. (dropped on a corner of something.)

It upsets me because I was raised to be careful with my books and things, how to clean them and what NOT to do with each item. Such as dog ear, always use a thin book mark don't lay the book down open faced to hold that page until you can find one (that wears on if not damages or breaks the spine) put them in a dry room temp area etc.
    Some of the damage i see infuriates me...
    stopping before it becomes a full blown rant

Point is, please if you cannot afford to replace the books at least put it on the list of things to be replaced, really check your books (i know the thick novels aren't easy to check sometimes) And try and teach the patrons to be more careful or encourage them to report damage!
    Or at least if you KNOW who did it as they returned the book damaged charge or suspend their account?

The worst I did was leave one book out, the dog got to it, tore the hard back corner and I turned it in bypassing the return slot and spoke to someone saying it was my fault sorry how much will this cost to replace or what do i owe for late fees and damages.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Ah, but they *don't* know who did it. Unless they were to document the exact condition of the book before letting you leave with it, they cannot assume that you caused the damage it has when you return it.

And really, you have to *expect* a good bit of wear in popular lent items. A library copy of anything that people actually like will get a lot more use than one you own yourself, and even in the best of circumstances, not only is not everybody going to be as meticulous in their care as you are, but they're also being hauled around a lot. They *will* get dropped, etc. The best the library can do, really, is to do their best to educate people (I remember, when libraries had LP's instead of DVD's, the one in Athens had several badly warped ones with the original center label covered with one warning not to leave them in the car or in the sun; not sure how *effective* that was, as I'd already learnt that with my own, but it certainly was memorable) and also to replace the worst of them as money allows. Oh, and to leave damaged-but-usable items in circulation until they can be replaced, both because a colored-in, dogeared copy of a book is better than none at all and because it serves as a reminder, for those willing to listen.

They also can't count on people to report damage, as you do. Most people will just drop it in the return box and say nothing, either out of laziness, or (for books) thinking they got their use even if it wasn't in good shape, or even fearing that they'd be blamed for the damage.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

*just a few thoughts I had on this, speaking from experiences I've had working at the library*

I don't know how it is in other library systems, but for the one which I work in, those of us who are responsible for checking in materials aren't the ones who make decisions on damaging out items which come in the bookdrop. We do set them aside for circulation staff to review, but it's their call on whether or not to delete the item/charge the person who'd returned it.

Also, it does occasionally happen that there are days when the bookdrops are flooded with returns, and damaged items do get skipped over - some of our customers expect their items to be instantly checked in, no matter what the circumstances in the check-in area might be.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Ah, but they *don't* know who did it. Unless they were to document the exact condition of the book before letting you leave with it, they cannot assume that you caused the damage it has when you return it.
        when I said they the librarians know who did it. Was implying that by pulling up the last person to borrow the book and pull up their info on the library card. Or are they by law or contract not allowed to do so? At least thats what I thought.

I did expect some wear and tear but not near ruin.
        Some Libraries still use the old stamp card system due to not being able to afford the latest technology. Our library used to have the scan yourself out system.I guess they had enough issues with it they did away with it.
        Yeah we're so over, over
        Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Unfortunately, this is basic human behavior.

If they don't have any personal liability towards an item, then they do not care as much for the way they treat it.

You see this sort of thing all the time in public places, whether it be park benches or public restrooms.
          We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.

Comment

sadly Cheshire this is true
            makes me fear if not loathe public restrooms for the fact that i don't know how clean they are even if just cleaned and if there is residue on the seat (someone missed or did not make it in time) or if i even want to go on

mostly frustrated that I used to enjoy the library and its starting to become an old and abused commodity. Went in the other day and they had tables set out of books to sell to make room for the new stuff. the books were dirt cheap on one table for the fact of the wear and tear and some, sadly water damaged....

Not sure about the tricks, but from what I learned even if I did salvage/save a water damaged book the pages are never the same, and have become more fragile
            Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

The librarians at our library are pretty good at keeping on top of the damaged items. I actually saw them insisting on a family paying for their damaged items and not certainly giving any lee-way after being sworn at.

The only problem I have is with the person that goes along and (incorrectly) 'edits' all of the novels by the authors that I like to read, usually in black/blue pen, leaving a rating on the title page and their review on the last page. The few times that they've edited the novels in pencil, I've gently erased it with an acid-free eraser.

Comment

when I said they the librarians know who did it. Was implying that by pulling up the last person to borrow the book and pull up their info on the library card.
                Yes, I know. And I was pointing out why that would be an unreliable and unfair method, as, unless the books are thoroughly inspected upon BOTH checkout and checkin every single time, there is no way to know they were not already damaged when that person got them (if you're charging the first person who returns them damaged) or the previous user (if it's discovered on the shelf, or at checkout, or you're charging the person *before* the one making the complaint.) Perhaps the person complaining it was like that when they got it (as you have done) did the damage and is trying to avoid paying. Perhaps the person before didn't notice the damage, or didn't think it worth bothering with. Perhaps someone who didn't check the book out at all damaged it and put it back on the shelf. Unless you do a thorough, documented inspection before and after *every* patron touches the book, you don't know, and therefore cannot fairly make any of them pay.

Now, if it's just totally destroyed, that's different... IF the library is 100% consistent about pulling items from circulation before they get anywhere close to that point AND the checkout system involves a real employee who would notice and stop someone from taking the book home. But dings, scratches, bent corners... all normal wear, eventually, and also cumulative and subjective.
                Last edited by HYHYBT; 01-27-2011, 02:32 AM.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I work in a video rental store and we have this problem a lot with our DVDs and video games, especially the kids movies. I remember seeing a copy of Toy Story 3 during the first week after it was released, and it looked like someone had taken a coin and scribbled all over the disc with it. People treat things that aren't theirs horribly. And from my experience, kids items are the worst because some parents just don't pay attention or care what their children do to borrowed or rented items. I swear some kids must play hockey on a gravel road with some of the DVDs I've seen. But, like has been mentioned, unless something really unusual or uncommon happens (like one of our DVDs that got found a chewed on by a customer's dog), it can sometimes be difficult to know who exactly caused the damage. It's poor service to just go around accusing people because they happened to check or rent out a damaged item. Not everyone will let employees know when they have problems with said items. Hell, where I work we give rental credit towards people's accounts when they let us know they had problems watching a movie or playing a game, and yet even with that in place I have lots of people who let me know days or weeks later that they had issues with some movie that has long since been checked back in and probably rented out again. There sadly is just no good way to know, especially with places not being staffed more than necessary, or sometimes below what is necessary to save money on payroll.

Comment

DVD's, particularly, can look OK but still not play right, and you won't see it until you try to *watch* the affected point, while another disc that looks much worse will play fine.

Books, similarly, can have missing pages you're unlikely to spot in a quick flip-through, etc.

Comment

Having realized that saying libraries have the ability to see who did it was wrong. yeah...it was the find out whodunit in me.

upset over this because its books. and i was raised that if you take care of your things books, clothes etc they last alot longer. yes its a pain or tedious but its worth it. the main lesson being if its broken try and fix it before trying to replace it and that yes material things can be replaced but myself as a person cannot. and treat other peoples things better than yours as they are other people's things. like ExRetailDrone said many people weren't taught this lesson because oh its broken or ruined lets replace it. yeah well not everyone can afford to do that!
                      that and having been informed by the DVD collecter aka hubs, when done with his dvd's cds or games put them up asap. it seems myself and hubs are the only ones in the house who do this because of neglect to his dvd's by other friends or family members he won't let others borrow them or leave the house with them and if anyone wants to watch or play said items either myself or hubs is to go get it and put it in and when done with let us know.
                      strict i know but apparently his youngest sister can't be bothered to put it back where it goes and it gets stepped on, the kids get a hold of it or at worst a house pet got it and went nuts with it.
                      but this is coming from a person who has been collecting dvd's since he was first allowed to buy his own at the age of 10 (hubs)

HYHYBT
                      usually my local library was good about catching damaged materials. but at this point hubs just said let me deal with it. he returned the books and so far no issue.
                      the only one book i was seriously upset about was water damaged all the way to the hardback cover, and sun damaged (i could see that the water damage was done, some of the colors washed away and what wasn't stained was faded from being left either under a powerful lamp or outside too long)

every other page was ripped close to or along the spine (ie i had to watch it when turning the page) it was a childrens book on disney princesses as daughter seemed to like the pretty pictures. I couldn't even finish the book for her.
                      our local library used to enforce rules and warn us about not leaving things in the car in the heat or bad weather period. I would hope so as one cd case was warped from being left in the heat. the cd itself was fine but the plastic case would no longer close properly.
                      it makes me sad because the library just started adding manga to its shelves and had to stop due to having to cut into their budget to replace alot of books. the mangas had been voted upon so all ages could read it and they wouldn't have to label it above pg or keep it away from kids.

i want to give up on this but i just can't. instead i have put in a volunteer form at the library in hopes to help them so i can at least do something
                      Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Working...
                      X