Political Correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Correctness

I hate always having to say to the letter what you mean, include exemptions when you make a generalization to keep people from over reacting, and always having to be super careful with what words you use and when to avoid upsetting people. This is even true when there is even the slightest possibility that someone will over hear you and come to the wrong conclusion, probably on purpose knowing full well you werent trying to be nor actually being offensive in the first place.

For instance:

Two co-workers were having a discussion about crime rates in our area why I dont know as I was not involved in the convo. I was nearby giving myself cancer and not caring about what they were talking about. But one of them mentioned that more black people commit crimes than white people and how this is often linked with the level of poverty in a given area.

The only reason I remember this is some how it got reported to HR that these two were saying that only poor black people commit crimes. (it was reported as much worse than that) How anyone got this out of that convo is a huge stretch of the imagination. As they were being investigated they remembered I was out there and being a sup myself at the time I was called in and asked about it. They both ended up getting terminated but not for the previous charges. although I always felt that was BS given the circumstances and the fact that our HR manager was a HUGE beeotch.

I know what you mean. A co-worker of mine recently got into all kinds of hot water because of something he said. Apparently he overheard someone talking about a person they knew who had the words "Your Name" tattooed onto their ass. He then went on to jokingly mention that if he were ever crazy enough to get his butt inked, the only thing he'd put on it was "Do not enter here" with an arrow pointing to, you know. Somehow it got back to management that he hates gay people
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about, but speaking of political correctness...

I hate whoever came up with "handicapable" and "differently abled." In the first case, "handicapable" sounds blatantly stupid. And in the second case...EVERYONE is differently abled. I can't run, but I can sing. My SO can play softball. Oh, look, we're both differently abled. I know of no one who is actually disabled and USES those terms.

Personally, as long as it's not said with contempt, I don't even care if someone calls me a fucking cripple. Allll in tone and context. Like how certain "offensive" words are being "taken back" by the communities they were used to denigrate, examples being the n-word and "queer."

Also, LadyBarbossa, I cannot imagine how that means he hates gay people. I would just assume that meant he is not gay, and does not wish his girlfriend to ever peg him lol. Plenty of people feel that way, it doesn't mean they're homophobic.
      "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        The only reason I remember this is some how it got reported to HR that these two were saying that only poor black people commit crimes. (it was reported as much worse than that)
        This is why people should never discuss politics at work.

It's too bad that their conversation was misinterpreted, but if they hadn't been talking about crime rates and race to begin with, it wouldn't have happened.

I really hate it when co-workers and customer want to talk about "Fratching" stuff at work. It makes me uncomfortable, because I know that I'm likely to disagree with at least something they say.

It puts me in the awkward position of choosing between a) getting into an argument at work, or b) keeping my mouth shut and having it assumed I agree with their idiot opinions.

Comment

I can understand the handicapable one, iir handicap stems from "cap in hand" asking for charity and the handicapable one means they are capable of doing things, just not all things, eg someone in a wheel chair can still work in an office or call centre.
          We in the UK had a slogan on TV using the word's disability and disabled, the dis part faded away saying we should look beyond what we see.

were a bit weird at our place, they frown upon swearing, even though the place can bring out the tourretes in me, yet they only call you out on English swearing, I know certain phrases in Polish and Lithuanian are swear words even if I don't know exactly what they mean, it's all in the tone expressed and the two team leaders who speak said languages don't call em out on them.
          I told my manager this once when he told me off for swearing (well it wasn't a dressing down full on official one) and his responce was "Well I don't understand what they say so I can't say anything" well you have two team leaders who can bollock them though, so for a while I was saying random Japanese words with the right tone to make it sound offencive, I said "Denwa Bango!" to one guy who alway pissed me off, I think he wanted me to use the N word or any racially charged term, try and piss me off till I got myself in trouble for his grief, never stooped that low.
          Now I and one other (cos he used to live in Japan) knew that Denwa bango was just "telephone number" but I said it in a way to make it sound like "go fuck yourself" so if anyone called me out for swearing in japanese
          A> call the Poles and Lith's out too first fucko
          B> telephone number is swearing now?

Comment

RE: "cap in hand," an interesting page from Snopes:
            http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/handicap.asp
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

What I hate is how some oversensitive folks will blow something out of proportion and act like you're this horrible person over some comment that mentions race. Like if I say that I'm afraid to go somewhere where I might be the only white person there. I'm NOT saying that I have a problem with black people nor am I saying I'm afraid of black people. What I'm afraid of is THAT SPECIFIC AREA because chances are, it's not going to be too friendly to white people. I wish people would listen before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

Exactly, Rage. I'd elaborate and tell a tale, but I'm afraid I'd be labelled a racist.

Comment

/sigh

So a black coworker should feel like you are saying they are more likely to steal because you don't want the responsibility of being polite at work? Because I don't see how 'black people are more likely to do x crime' is better than saying 'all black people do x crime' at work. Both are saying that a certain race is more criminal than another, and therefore, racism, and therefore not work appropriate.

Leave it at home. People who bitch about political correctness are the ones who aren't the target of hate speech. It is easy to say, be more thin skinned, when you are not the one being told by the person in charge of your paychecks to nigger rig something instead of fix it just because you are black.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                    It's too bad that their conversation was misinterpreted, but if they hadn't been talking about crime rates and race to begin with, it wouldn't have happened.
                    Some of us have to talk about crime rates where we work

Political Correctness (PC) started out with good intentions (as is the road to hell). PC is about dealing with people with respect and treating everyone according to their needs (it's not about treating everyone the same - after all I wouuldn't visit a strict Muslim on a Friday any more than I would an orthodox Jew on a Saturday nor a devout Christian on a Sunday) and when it's done it's done very well.

When it's done badly it's just a colossal fuck up.
                    The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

I've never heard of any branch of Christianity that doesn't allow visitors on Sunday.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        I've never heard of any branch of Christianity that doesn't allow visitors on Sunday.
                        I'm not stating that it does, but it *is* their day of rest and the day set aside for worship.

I was refering to a hypothetical situation if I was at work rather than people I know - I should have clarified that.
                        The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

Oh, ok. I was thinking you meant going over to enjoy the afternoon with a friend or something.

Comment

Bumping this back up because I am about as Politically Incorrect as you can get! I DO NOT and WILL NOT ever believe in censoring my thoughts and beliefs to suit others. It's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH and is a RIGHT that is GUARANTEED TO ME and EVERY OTHER AMERICAN in our CONSTITUTION!

I could go on a rather lengthy rant about the subject, but instead, I'll just let Baltimore's own SR-71 voice my thoughts for me:

"Politically Correct" by SR-71
                            Well, I don't mean to piss you off
                            with things I might say
                            So when I try to shut my mouth,
                            they come out anyway
                            So when I speak my mind,
                            that's when we connect
                            Yeah, but that's not
                            politically correct

Your head's so filled with thought,
                            you can't use your imagination
                            Like a sky so filled with stars,
                            you can't find a constellation!
                            And everyone's so sensitive
                            to any bad vibration
                            We're so impressing
                            while we're regressing!

'Cause I don't mean to piss you off
                            with things I might say
                            But when I try to shut my mouth,
                            they come out anyway

There's nothing I believe in more
                            than my own insignificance
                            So, why does everybody think
                            my words can make a difference?
                            I just don't have time to think up
                            every social consequence!
                            I'll just keep on talking
                            and you keep applauding!

'Cause I don't mean to piss you off
                            with things I might say
                            they come out anyway
                            And if you spoke your mind,
                            you might feel more connected,
                            until you stand politically corrected!

You lean a little to the left or the right, but
                            you can only see who's on your side
                            Look a little like a deer in the headlights,
                            a little blind and hypnotized!
                            So, you conform with the best of intention
                            Change comes from inside
                            And after all that's what this country was founded on,
                            do nothing different, just fall in line!
                            Tell me what happened to make us so afraid that
                            you couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today?
                            No! I saw "Blazing Saddles" yesterday

I don't mean to piss you off
                            with things I might say
                            they come out anyway
                            And I don't mean to piss you off
                            with things I might say
                            they come out anyway
                            "You guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"
                            --Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepwalker View Post
                              Because I don't see how 'black people are more likely to do x crime' is better than saying 'all black people do x crime' at work. Both are saying that a certain race is more criminal than another, and therefore, racism, and therefore not work appropriate.
                              So if I say, people of African-American descent are a majority of the prison population, due to poverty, lack of educational opportunity, and other social issues, I'm racist?

Or am I stating facts because I'm working for a charity for underprivileged inner city youth....(I have heard this from a charity worker who was explaining why it was important to raise money for their charity)

merely mentioning race is not impolite, nor is it automatically racism....
                              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                              X