Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can my mother not understand that I have food allergies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can my mother not understand that I have food allergies?

For as long as I can remember, bananas have made me severely ill. When I was very little, I called it a stomach ache or heartburn, since I didn't know what it was. As I grew older, I realized it was very much like an allergic reaction: My head, nose, throat, ears, eyes, and chest would itch terribly and my chest would get very tight feeling and painful. I've never had a problem breathing, but I also learned from an early age to avoid bananas when I could. My mom didn't believe there was anything actually wrong; she thought I was just being "picky" because I didn't like bananas. Fortunately, she never force-fed them to me.

She did trick me into eating one once, though. I think I mentioned this story once before somewhere either here or on CS, but here it is again. I was about 18, living at home, and my mom was insisting that we all eat healthier, so she started making smoothies for us for lunch. One day she asked if I wanted some, and I asked her what kind it was. She said blueberry. Okay, sure. It looked blue, at any rate. So I started drinking it. After I'd had several large gulps, she got this smug look on her face and said triumphantly, "There, I bet you didn't even know there was banana in that, did you?" I spit out what I had in my mouth and ran to the bathroom to drink some water and take Advil (I didn't know at the time that an anti-histamine like Benedryl would help allieviate some of the symptoms.) I yelled at her and started crying as the allergic reaction very quickly came upon me. She claimed she didn't know I was allergic to bananas, again reiterating that she always thought I was just being picky.

I got allergy tested a couple of years ago, and turns out, I'm allergic to a LOT of fruits and vegetables. Just to name a few: Bananas, apples, peaches, kiwi, avocodo, carrot, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower. For most of these, I can eat them if they're cooked, canned, or frozen, since doing one of those somehow changes the chemical composition of the food and doesn't trigger the allergic reaction in my body. This makes sense since I remember not liking to eat a lot of those things fresh and raw, like apples and peaches. I love apples and peaches, but I distinctly remember my mother serving us fresh, raw apples and peaches when they were in season and getting pretty pissed at me when I refused to eat them. I didn't know at the time it was an allergy, I just knew they didn't agree with me.

She still, to this very day, doesn't believe I have food allergies.

I started weight watchers earlier this week and made the very unfortunate mistake of telling her about it. She has always hounded me about my weight...that is another thread, though. Today she told me, "I bet if you finally lose some weight, you can eat more fruit like banana that you never liked. I bet your digestive system is just so screwed up that it can't digest it right."

Yes, because my digestive system is definitely causing itchiness in my face/throat/ears, watery eyes/nose, and a feeling like my chest is going to explode (this is how I've described it to her, so she knows very well how severe it is and can't feign ignorance anymore.)

I don't get it. She has never believed that I have food allergies, even after the allergic reactions, the testing, everything. Why doesn't she believe me? I can bet you anything that if and when I do start to lose weight, she will insist that I try eating a banana and see how I react to it. I'd be tempted to, just to prove to her that nothing will have changed, but I also don't want to end up in the ER for her sake.

The phrase "diluted bitch" comes to mind.

Or maybe she's just got the mindset of so many non-seatbelt-wearers. "It could NEVER happen to me" or in this case, any of her kids.

Also, I'd like to offer my condolences that you cannot eat avocados without an uncomfortable and possibly dangerous reaction.
    I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

I would ask your mother if she has ever heard of anaphylatic shock. As in does she not realize your throat can actually close up. Even though you never had that problem, it can still happen.

Your mother sounds like the type of person who would give a peanut butter sandwich to someone allergic to nuts.
      If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but your mother is a stupid bitch. And like RavenStarr said...just because you haven't gone into anaphylactic shock yet doesn't mean it couldn't happen. And THEN what would your mother do? Would she actually admit she fucked up then?

My mom can be an evil bitch-thing, but even she--when discovering that my sister gets hives all over her body when she eats watermelon--did not try to sneak watermelon into my sister's diet.

She still doesn't much understand lactose intolerance or that I can't have anything high-fiber, but oh well, it's a learning process.

I just cannot fathom deliberately giving someone something they're allergic to, to "trick" them into eating it. Yeah because not knowing it's there will TOTALLY make the reaction not happen. Right.
        "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Eh, Moms will be Moms sometimes.

It can be annoying at times..although it may seem she's disregarding what you're saying, she appears to have the best intentions.

She wants you to eat healthy, and in her view of the world (right or wrong), folks that claim to have a problem with fruits and veggies are just avoiding them because they don't like them.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but it is really easy to be hard on your parents, not realizing that they are only working with the tools that they have. Just as it is easy for a parent to be really hard on their kids not realizing the same.

Sometimes, we do stupid things when we're blinded by love.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGiant View Post

Sometimes, we do stupid things when we're blinded by love.
            Yeah like giving your child something that can cause anaphylatic shock. Yep that's love alright.
            If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

I did say "stupid"....

Comment

Maybe you could show her the doctor's report on the allergen tests? Possibly if she actually sees something from a doctor, she'll finally accept it.

Comment

A lot of people who don't have allergies don't understand them, and see it (and even use it; ask anyone in food service) as just a way of saying "I don't like it" that makes people listen. I have no idea how to go about convincing her otherwise safely.

(and I'm more than a little puzzled about the meaning of the phrase "diluted bitch" as well.)
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I've known people who thought that I just didn't like celery when I told them I was allergic. Sure I don't like it, because my entire mouth goes numb when I eat it . On a side note, this is the first time I've seen anyone else who's allergic to celery.

I second showing the results of your allergen tests to your mom, if you still have them anyway, and if you haven't shown her already. If you have and she still doesn't accept it then I have no idea what else you could do.

Comment

Your mother could be in denial, still seeing you as her perfect child whom there is nothing wrong with. You'll just have to be careful around her when she's giving you foods.

A shame that you're allergic to a lot of fruits. My condolences.
                      We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.

Comment

Thanks guys. I honestly don't think showing her the allergy test results would make any difference. She has always been of the mindset that it's MY fault I can't eat things like bananas because I'm overweight (which, btw, also is very hurtful to me. Way to make it entirely my fault, Mom.) I don't think I have the results anymore, anyway.

The allergies aren't that bad, since I can still eat most things on that list if they're cooked. Raw apples? No thanks. Apple sauce, apple butter, baked apples, apple pancakes, apple muffins? Sure, those are great. It is frustrating to not be able to snack on things like carrot and celery sticks, especially now that I'm doing WW and almost all veggies are 0 points.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          (and I'm more than a little puzzled about the meaning of the phrase "diluted bitch" as well.)
                          I do believe they might have meant "deluded". Would make more sense to me, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGiant View Post
                            I did say "stupid"....

But that's beyond "stupid", it's something that's potentially life threatening.

As others have suggested, allergies can change. What can start out as a mild, relatively harmless allergy, can eventually evolve into a much more dangerous one.

Mike
                            If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

Whether you're allergic or not, I think forcing someone to eat something they don't want, especially going as far as to trick you into eating it is fucked up. If you don't want it, you don't want it, so she should leave it at that.

However, since you have actual food alergies, that takes this stupidity to an entirely new level. I mean... What's she trying to prove?! A good reason why NO ONE should force you to eat what you don't.

Gah, this kind of stupidity and arrogance makes my head spin. It makes me glad I have a healthy relationship my with parents who would never pull that shit with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X