Mom and the phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom and the phone

My mom does this all the time, she'll call, talk about random stuff for awhile then we'll say goodbye and hang up. An hour later or so she'll call again because she has to tell me about some idea she had, then I have to listen to a half hour explanation of whatever she's decided is a good idea. Rinse and repeat 4- 5 times.

It's worse since she knows I'm looking to make a name in the Graphic Design field, or at least get my foot in the door. She'll call every half hour with some new job posting, which would be fine and dandy if they were 1) not something I'd already seen 5 times already, and let her know I've seen 2) Not something I have no experience in (like web work) 3) if she'd just e-mail them instead of calling to tell me. She's trying to help but man is it getting on my nerves. She gets all mad at me when I try to explain to her that I know how things work in this field for the most part, sure I'm new to it, but I'm the one who was trained in it. She was actually trying to educate me on how if people search graphic designer on google they'll find me, which isn't true, well it might be but I'd be far far from the first on the list. She wouldn't take that as an explanation at all. There is a point on the phone where I just stop listening for the most part, because she's just going on about nothing, or nothing that makes sense for what I'm doing. and it's the 5th time she's called.

Your mom doesn't have any friends her own age, does she?

She needs to work on that. If she had a busier social life, she wouldn't have time for all these phone calls.

Comment

Sounds like my mom, to an extent. We talk on the phone a lot, which is fine for the most part, but there are days when I just can't get her to shut up. And no, my mom doesn't have a social life...zip, zero, zilch. She's not interested in one, either. She largely believes that people are stupid and she can't put up with them.

Comment

It must be a mom thing in general, my mom used to spend hours calling up just about every relative we have, just to chat. I remember most of those conversations were only minutes long, and they always ended with her saying "Ok, well talk to you later!"

Comment

My mom isn't like that at all, thankfully. She's the one who taught me to hate talking on the phone We'll talk on average once a week or so for maybe a half hour to 45 minutes, and that's it. However, she also has a lot of other things she does with friends and family, which helps with the empty nest syndrome, probably. Especially since I'm the only child.

I'm sorry that you're having such problems with your mom. She's obviously trying to help, but it's frustrating that she doesn't actually listen to you when you tell her what will or will not help with your job search, not to mention the fact that she keeps telling you the same job listings over and over. I think she needs a hobby of her own to keep her occupied, instead of seemingly making her hobby 'trying' to help you.

Comment

Thing is, she has friends her own age. Ones she sees regularly. She's very social and active for her age, hell she's active enough for someone 10 years younger than her. She's also gotten into jewelry making over the past 5 years or so, so she has that to occupy her too. The problem is she stays up almost as late as I do. And I'm her only child, so there's that too.

I know she's just trying to help, and I can't fault her for that, but it's the way she's going about it. She keeps telling me to just freelance, which is part of what I'm trying to do. I'd like to find a job in a company or firm to get experience though. She seems to think that freelancing is just something you go and do, like you just go find a client and that's easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
              Thing is, she has friends her own age. Ones she sees regularly. She's very social and active for her age, hell she's active enough for someone 10 years younger than her. She's also gotten into jewelry making over the past 5 years or so, so she has that to occupy her too.
              She sounds like a busy woman. You almost have to admire her commitment to bugging you.

Comment

She sounds like a busy woman. You almost have to admire her commitment to bugging you.
                Haha for sure. :P

Comment

Working...
                X