Non-transit friendly meeting spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-transit friendly meeting spots

I don't know what it is about the people I've done interviews with lately but they always seem to want to meet at some place that requires taking some random bus, or walking for long periods of time to get to. Today I have a meeting about a project, it's downtown sure, but I don't see why it couldn't have been somewhere close to a skytrain station or something? I'm meeting this person at a coffee shop, it's not like there aren't 5 on every block.

I just wish I could find a job that was in my part of the city at least. Instead of 30min to an hour and a half out of my way.

Maybe I'm just grumbly because it's pouring rain out...

I hear ya I depend on transit and having to meet someone in a not transit friendly place is a gigantic pain and it's something I will avoid if at all possible.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The thing is, though, unless you rely on transit yourself, it's not likely even to enter your head whether a place is convenient to it or not, much less that it might matter to those you are meeting.

And if you're talking *job* interviews, there are those who will make those inconvenient deliberately, to weed out those who won't bother coming.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah, I understand that, and so long as I can actually get to places by transit, even if they are a pain in the butt to get to I'll be accommodating, after all they may be giving me a job in the future. If I can't get to it by transit then it's not the job for me.

It's just irritating, you know?

Comment

It's definitely frustrating, that those that don't have to rely on transit just don't get it.

Not only do you have the actual transit travel time, but what if you have to transfer? Some times even if the first bus is running right on time, it just happens to get you to or near your transfer point five minutes after the second bus (or whatever) leaves.

Plus, there's the time spent walking to the transit stop, getting there several minutes ahead of time should the bus be running early, walking time between transfer points if applicable, and walking time to the destination, from the nearest transit stop.

Another annoyance, is being on the closing shift at work, and especially being a cashier. I've never expected special treatment just because I'm riding the bus, but it's frustrating to seemingly always be the last one stuck open to clear the store, when other cashiers have a car, and five more minutes in the store means they'll be getting home five minutes later than they wished, but with the bus rider, it could mean getting home a half hour later than they wished, even in some cases if they got out of the store only two minutes late.

Mike
          If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            And if you're talking *job* interviews, there are those who will make those inconvenient deliberately, to weed out those who won't bother coming.
            Yeah that's one of the many dirty tricks employers use to test applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by JustaCashier View Post
              but with the bus rider, it could mean getting home a half hour later than they wished, even in some cases if they got out of the store only two minutes late.

Mike
              If at all... I've had it happen where I left 10 minutes later and ended up missing the last bus and having to walk 5 miles to get home... it was needless to say, not fun.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                If at all... I've had it happen where I left 10 minutes later and ended up missing the last bus and having to walk 5 miles to get home... it was needless to say, not fun.
                How about being 10 minutes early for the last bus of the night and watching the bus in question take a separate route entirely so it doesn't have to actually pick up any passengers. >_<

This is the county route that's outsourced to the independent contractor near me. It's the most useful route of any within walking distance, and it's the least reliable, most prone to just not showing up, and most likely to be broken/break down.

My favorite was the day I got dressed up to have dinner with the boyfriend and his mom (who'd driven 50 miles to be there) one evening, and waited for two and a half hours with no bus going by. There should have been three. And the ones going the other way were going by on schedule. >_<

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                X