So Effing Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Effing Cold

The weather people are "promising" that this is going to be the last double digit below zero day for the rest of the winter. I'm going to hold them to that.

It's so freaking cold, it's like your tires are going thud thud thud while you drive down the road. I mean, like they are practically flat.

This morning I had two hoods over my head and wrapped my scarf around my entire face, save for my eyes. There wasn't even wind, and yet my eyes wanted to stick shut as I braved the long walk to my car. I have mittens, but they are no match for the cold, apparently. While I wanted nothing more than to just sit in the car and wait for the windshield to defrost, I had to at least scrape a peephole to be able to see. My hands were in pain from it. They are still freaking cold.

I've taken a hot bath every day before bed this week just to get my body temperature up and be warm when I go to bed. It feels like no matter how high I crank the heater, I'm still freezing.

My bf was backing out of his driveway and he hit some frozen snow with the side of his car as he backed out, and it actually ripped part of his front end right off. Now it's just kind of hanging there and wobbles around when he drives.

I was leaving the store this morning and didn't see there was a giant ice-ball right in front of me as I was walking, and my right foot kicked right into it. It hurt so fucking bad, my big toe is purple right now. And it was so hard from being so cold, it didn't break up or even crunch. It barely even moved.

The big snow piles from this winter that are along the curbs and driveways....well, the one by my parents' house in particular because they are really lazy and only shovel enough to get their cars out.....just for fun Wednesday morning I decided to climb up on it and see if my foot would break into the frozen snow and if I'd sink at all. This stuff is so frozen solid, it can handle the weight of a 140 pound person. Unbelievable! My foot did not even depress into the snow.

ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT ALREADY. I am so ready for a weekend warmup. Woohoo, 30 degrees here we come!

It's been in the 30s and low 40s here. It was just 60 like a week ago. Wtf!?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't envy you. If you ever do move to Arizona take me with you we can get a place together cheap
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I feel your pain. Average temperature in my city is -20 Celsius, which is -4 Fahrenheit. However, we've hit -50 at least ten times so far this winter, which is -58F, and we have at least two or three months of winter left. I'm no stranger to my eyes freezing shut. Whee!

Comment

And I thought I had it bad in Michigan. God this weather is miserable. Every day it gets colder and colder. Today is the worst and it's not even below zero yet! (though I think it's a below 0 windchill).

Winter sucks.

Comment

It's finally starting to warm up a bit here. Earlier this week was just miserable, even today started out at -15F.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
              I feel your pain. Average temperature in my city is -20 Celsius, which is -4 Fahrenheit. However, we've hit -50 at least ten times so far this winter, which is -58F, and we have at least two or three months of winter left. I'm no stranger to my eyes freezing shut. Whee!
              My first trip to the Prairies in the middle of January was astonishing to me. My nose froze shut, because of the tiny little icicles that formed on the hair inside my nose. I had no idea that was even a possibility.

It's the wind that kills you on the Prairies. I can still remember the horrible feel of it, and I last visited four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                My first trip to the Prairies in the middle of January was astonishing to me. My nose froze shut, because of the tiny little icicles that formed on the hair inside my nose. I had no idea that was even a possibility.

It's the wind that kills you on the Prairies. I can still remember the horrible feel of it, and I last visited four years ago.
                I'm never going there...the thought of my nose freezing shut doesn't excite me at all.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Remind me never to complain about rain again. Yikes I didn't know your eyes and nose could freeze shut. DO NOT WANT.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                    Yeah, that -50 is usually -35 with a -15 degree windchill. I think I've only seen it get to -50 without a windchill once or twice in my twenty-two years here. It's something you get used to. I just recently got back from a business trip to Richmond, BC where it was 10C every day and the grass was still green. Then, when I returned, it was, again, -35 and we had approximately two feet of snow. I've never been anywhere in February where there was no snow, let alone weather in the positive degrees. It was a pretty big culture shock, even though it was only a two-hour flight away.

Did you know that -60 Celsius is the temperature where your skin can freeze within twenty seconds of exposure? We get pretty close to that on a regular basis. I like to think that us prairie people are a resilient type in their own way.

Comment

It's been quite cold here in Ohio lately, but we haven't had a whole lot of subzero stuff. This morning, it was close to 0 F outside. We have had quite a few days with highs in the teens and low twenties. This weekend it's supposed to get up in the mid thirties, close to forty.

I'm not eagerly anticipating the dog days of summer with the high heat indexes, but I am ready for some slightly warmer weather than this.

Honestly, if the temps stayed in the 50 - 60 F range all year long, you wouldn't hear a single complaint at all from me.

Comment

My boogers have frozen before. It's a horrible feeling. My eyes have started watering before while walking in the cold, and the tears have frozen to my face.

Comment

... and people complain about California because of earthquakes?

Seriously though, you guys stay safe and unfrozen.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is probably the #1 reason why Wisconsin would be the last place I'd move back to now that I live in Texas. I lived in Wisconsin for 25 years and every winter, I'd go 6 months without ever truly getting warm. Hell, it's been "cold" in Texas lately (we actually had SNOW a week ago...it was like, holy shit, the whole city shut down for a day), in the 20s and 30s, and I friggin' freeze in this kinda weather, nevermind 20 or 30 below! I remember when I lived in Wisconsin, I'd run baths of the hottest water our hot water heater could produce. Except I still wouldn't get warm, so I'd boil a kettle full of water and add the boiling water to the hot bath water, and then I'd finally start to warm up. But as soon as the bath water started to cool down, or I got out of the bath...bam, freezing again.

Texas can have some pretty unbearable summers, but I've told everyone who's ever asked -- I will happily take 105 degrees and 90% humidity for 2-3 months over sub-freezing and -20 or colder windchill for 6 months for the rest of my life.

Comment

be that it is that I am outside in this bitterly cold weather ALL fracking night

I STILL hate the cold

one I am cold all night long (even with the car's heater running full blast) until I can get my hands in some warm dish water near the end of the night

TWO my gas mileage absolutely SUCKS causing me to spend even more on gas (my MPG goes down by 50% in weather below 20 degrees)

THREE: standing out on some dumb fucks porch for a time whilst the wind is blowing 30MPH while said dumb fuck is searching for coins/bills (knowing they are going to stiff me) for their delivery SUCKS

I hear ya Blas. we here in the heart of Green and Gold country are not much warmer.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                              X