• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're saying it wrong!!!

I hate the following people...

People who drive in a cah.

People who have an idear.

People who warsh their clothes.

People who have a Cadillac Converter on their car.

People who spend Quaters in the vending machine.

People named Anfony, Feodore, Jonafan, etc...

People who drive Chevy Mustangs.

Yeah.

For me it depends on the accent, a cornish woman speaking english could get me weak at the knees, to look at her she's nothing special and really old if not dead by now, but Pam Ayres voice has always been one of my faves and the pronounciation isn't the same as what I am used to.

At work we have to contend with the fact English is a second (or 3rd language) and some words make me ask again.

App-lee is one woman's way of saying apple
    another guy calls beef cottage pie "Beef's scottage." or Scottish I can't recall
    And when I ask for it by name I get odd look's of WTF is that when it's home, then I find what I'm after and they go "oh <their pronounciation>"
    But I live with it

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
      People who drive in a cah.

People who have an idear.

People who warsh their clothes.
      Whoa... what'd my grandma ever do to you to raise such ire?

The Chevy Mustang thing I can totally go with, however.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some people say tomatos, some say tahmato.

Does it really matter how they say it if you know what they mean?

Obviously you do know what they mean, otherwise you'll be "WTF is a cah?"

(Certifiedly Annoying Hickyspeek obviously).
        Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
        I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Ah, regionalisms....

I used to be told that I wouldn't be taken seriously because of my slightly Southern/hick-ish accent. But, y'know what? As long as you can understand what I'm saying, you can go fuck yourself. I'm not going to adopt another region's dialect because it's more "appropriate" or some shit.

Comment

Accents and dialects are one thing, but jesus...people who sound like cavemen or say a word just plain WRONG are the ones who annoy me. Like the Cadillac Converter on my car. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? You're the guy I pay a doctor's salary to maintain my vehicle, and you can't even get the names of the parts right!?!?!?!

Comment

I, personally, wouldn't give a rat's ass if he called it a "Cadillac Comforter" if he knew how to fix it.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

During my 15 years in the parking business, (one company, various locations it ran over the years in my city) most employees I encountered would, of course, properly pronounce our little "shack" a "Cashier's booth."

One guy called it a "boof".
                Another guy called it a "boot".
                A third guy called it a "boose" (Japanese was his first language, so with his accent that was understandable.)

One of my minor annoyances, is council/console.

Usually, it seems, an individual person won't swap the words out with each other if I've had the opportunity to hear them refer to each, but I can recall at least one person that did, as in, for example, "We were on our way to the City Console meeting, and I spilled my coffee in the center council of the car."

Mike
                If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  I used to be told that I wouldn't be taken seriously because of my slightly Southern/hick-ish accent. But, y'know what? As long as you can understand what I'm saying, you can go fuck yourself. I'm not going to adopt another region's dialect because it's more "appropriate" or some shit.
                  We get plenty of college students here in Pittsburgh. Nearly all of them bitch and moan about how we're not saying things "right." It's not our fault that the town has its own "Pittsburghese," simply because we were a melting pot of different cultures over the past 200+ years. Words have a way of getting corrupted like that. We might not all sound like the late Myron Cope, but it is what it is. Don't like it? Either grow up and deal with it, or get the fuck outta my town.

Comment

I have a friend from Pittsburgh...I *love* the accent personally. We trade out "yinz" and "y'all".

Comment

I don't get all the rage. I hate to seem rude, but people can't always control the way they speak.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Everyone thinks the Other accent sounds different. The "cah" folks probably have their own thread somewhere about YOU pronouncing words incorrectly.
                        I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

I'll just put it this way. Which regional dialect do you hear the most on nation TV stations, movies, and radio? Yes, that's right, MINE! Mwahahaha. Tri-state Area ftw!
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Really? Because I've always heard that the ideal for newscasters and actors, the most "neutral" accent is the Midwestern accent.

Comment

Then why do they consider to have the Central Jersey accent?
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X