Valentines Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentines Day

Let me just go ahead and say it. I fucking hate Valentine's Day. I can't think of a single thing about this holiday that I've ever loved or could even fake loving.
    Exchanging cards in class with people who treated me like shit every other second of the year? Great.

To top it off, I'm in a bad situation right now. And I know it was my own short sightedness that brought it on myself. I can't even pretend to blame someone else and don't think I don't want to.

It's just in all of the situations in my life where losing my head wasn't exactly constructive, I can't help but find it ironic that there's a holiday that was christened over someone doing just that.

Sorry for the rant.
    The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Yay, another V-Day hater!

But Jedi, you might say, aren't you married? Yes I am. And yes, I still loathe this so-called holiday. My hubby should buy me candy and flowers because he loves me, not because it's February 14th.

Comment

I don't understand people who hate Valentine's Day. Celebrate it or don't celebrate it. It's not like the Valentine's Day Cops come to your home and force you to buy flowers and candy for your significant other.

And if that's how your significant other behaves, then your problem is your partner. Not the day itself.

Comment

Probably because it's another holiday that's really more of an after thought than a genuine reason to celebrate. I mean the only reason Valentine's Day even registers on most International calenders is because candy companies couldn't find a way to exploit Boxing Day.

Yeah, it's my choice to celebrate it. But unfortunately I can't even avoid people shoving it in my face.
        The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

The one year that an SO sends me flowers for Valentine's Day and I don't freaking get them. He had them sent to the department office, so either 1) the secretaries got them and couldn't be bothered to spend 30 seconds letting me know that "Hey, you have a package" or 2) the florist screwed it up.

I'm trying to not let him know, but I'm super bummed out.

ETA: He told me a fib on the way home from work so that he could surprise me with a bouquet when he got home. He even got fake flowers, because he knows that I'll kill real ones in record time.
          Last edited by AdminAssistant; 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
            I don't understand people who hate Valentine's Day. Celebrate it or don't celebrate it. It's not like the Valentine's Day Cops come to your home and force you to buy flowers and candy for your significant other.

And if that's how your significant other behaves, then your problem is your partner. Not the day itself.
            Exactly!!!

I almost started my own thread saying I hate how it has become so trendy to bash Valentine's Day.

I was 26 before I met my late husband.
            Yes, it was a bit depressing all those years to see others getting their flowers and cards, but I certainly didn't piss and moan about what a waste of a day it was, and how a holiday that allowed others to publicly recognize their love was also forcing awareness of my single status.

When my husband was alive, I got my share of Valentine's treats, and I loved it.
            When he died, I was once again back to my single status, and, yes, again, watching others celebrate stirred up feelings of sadness and caused me to miss him so much, but, again, I didn't begrudge anyone their one day a year because of my own situation.

I keep hearing how all these holidays are just a commercialized excuse of a holiday, and the things being recognized and celebrated should be a priority all year and not just on one special day.
            That's true, but I still see nothing wrong with setting aside one day a year as a reminder.

People get busy, and life can be hectic. We can forget to tell people how much they really mean.
            Suddenly seeing all those pretty cards and other promo items on the store shelves is a bit of a slap to the forehead reminder to tell those we love just how we feel.

If you don't want to buy the over priced flowers and candy and cards, then don't. If you don't want to be forced into showing a loved one how you feel, just because it's a certain day, then don't.
            Just quit pissing all over everyone else's fun.
            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

The people who bash Valentine's Day probably aren't all single people. In order to illustrate this, let me tell you about my day at work.

I was getting ready to do an activity with one of the classes when I came upon one of the back offices. When I went inside, I found out that some of the females at my workplace were talking about their Valentine's Day. One of them had given her boyfriend two tickets to some event and told him that he should invite a friend to go to that event with him. Well, he invited one of his friends (i.e. one of his guy friends), and she was cheesed off because he didn't invite her. Apparently, when she told him to invite "a friend," he was supposed to invite her.

Then, another female in that room was telling about the Valentine's Day week she'd had with her husband. Apparently, he had been planning some kind of event with her, and a day before V day, she got her panties in a twist and told him that she wanted to see PROOF that this event was really going to happen. Then, she got a gift from him, and initially, she thought it was a great gift, but when she found out he bought it on sale, she blew a gasket and he spent the night in the guest room.

Something tells me these guys probably don't have much good to say about Valentine's Day, either.

Comment

But again, these are people who have problems with their relationships and their partners.

Blaming the day itself makes no sense. You think these guys aren't having problems with their crazy-ass girlfriends the other 364 days out of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                  Blaming the day itself makes no sense. You think these guys aren't having problems with their crazy-ass girlfriends the other 364 days out of the year?
                  Maybe. But, it could be that the added Valentine's Day hysteria only makes things worse. I'm sure their crazy-ass gf only get worse because "It's Valentine's Day. Do _______ if you looooooove me"

Comment

I just don't see it.

It's like an abusive husband who uses an overcooked dinner as an excuse for beating his wife. Sane people understand that the root issue there is not the burnt dinner.

If Valentine's Day doesn't trigger the crazy, something else would.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                      Something tells me these guys probably don't have much good to say about Valentine's Day, either.
                      something tells me the controlling one and the ungrateful one probably won't have to worry about valentine's day next year if the guys are smart....
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I like how my parents are treating it.

"We're going out to a fancy restarant on the 21st."

I always tried to encourage my parents to go have dinners by themselves but they always preferred for my sister and I to go with them. Never really thought about it until now but it's nice thinking that we actually had that much time together considering how some families are.

As far as my own opinion of Valentine's Day, I don't need a special day to celebrate my love for someone. I work hard enough and don't blow tons of money on frivolous stuff so I can spend it on things I enjoy. Like dinner dates, movies, mini golf, bowling, three day vacations in the Caribbean (I'm actually taking my oldest best friend when I get home from R&R and he can get off work). I'm good with money. But if other people want to take a whole day to show their affection for someone they love in this hectic world, go for it.
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Heh. For me, Valentine's Day means it's nearly (or already is) President's Day weekend, which is one of my gaming conventions.

Otherwise, it's a day to avoid going out to dinner or the movies and avoid bitter people.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't really think of Valentine's day one way or the other. The bf's birthday is the 13th, so we celebrate that, and mine is the 23rd. So we don't really see a point in adding another day where we go and spend money on something. I've never gotten my panties in a twist about him not buying me a flowers and candy or what have you. Besides which, I'd prefer graphic novels instead of the flowers!

Comment

personally I dislike V-Day for one BIG reason. Men (it is usually men) get beat about the head (figureatively speaking) for weeks just after Xmas on end with commercials about Expensive jewelry this and Expensive Chocolate that and "If you love HER (and it is usually HER they are mentioning/hinting/shoving in your face) ......." <insert whatever they are selling from clothes to cars> and GOD help you if your DID NOT do anything. buy anything, plan that special whatever.

WHY do/did I need a commerciaized guilt-trip ridden "holiday" to do what I did/do anyway (that is love and cherish my SO)?????

I got it shove in my face too many times. the "holiday" just got taken WAAAAAAYYYYY to seriously.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                              X