No announcement yet.

I don't mean to be...but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At work I sometimes use the "I don't mean to be a pain ..." or similar, normally as I have had to go back to the office for some fuckup fix or another, or I'm the messenger boy instead of whomever really want's this thing fixed.

"I don't want to hand you this list of sandwiches I need you to make, but I don't have them, the office say the numbers are right, but here we are, I need these and they are not here. Sorry." It's true, I don't want to ask anyone to make extra food for my drops, we have orders for 50 boxes of something we should be making 50 and I could create a new thread with a wall of text about this, but I digress.

Edit, I'm glad I was late a few days ago, I found out the early guy was missing virtually all his sandwiches that we buy in and had to get them made, then sorting out the paperwork for the evening pick I find one block cancel all their sandwiches, turns out they should have been canceled the night before too but were not, so later on the driver came back with them all, If it were me and the woman found out about this cock up, I would be the one getting the grief, not the office even though it was their cock up, I would have been the messenger, I would have asked her to make 60 or so missing sandwiches.
    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

The OP is clearly talking about cases where these phrases are abused, DrFaroohk.
      Didn't seem clear to me at all; or, rather, it seemed fairly clear to be meant to include all usage of such phrases. (I'm quite glad to be wrong about that; it saves the tooth-pulling exercise of trying to find out how what alternate expression of that very same legitimate sentiment would be preferable, which I vaguely seem to remember going through in another thread a while back that started off the same way.)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Look, if what you're saying is racist/sexist/homophobic/etc., why do you feel the need to defend yourself before you even begin to speak? Usually, because it is whatever you're claiming it's not.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't recall the details, but a few years ago the singer Bryan Ferry said he liked the movies of Nazi era Germany and alot of people got on his case as a Nazi supporter etc, where as he claimed he like the movies as movies and nothing else, I have no idea about the movies in question, but as most were German propoganda you can see where the uproar came from.

In the Tarantino version of Inglorious Bastards there was a war hero movie, that movie if real and shown today would probably be panned as propoganda garbage, but the same movie shot with the nationalities reversed would be an epic war movie.

"Lets get this staight, I am not a Nazi supporter, but I like the cinematography of Nazi movies."
          or "I like the cinematography of Nazi movies." with the disclaimer its meant to be factual, but with the ammount of comments above abusing it its watered down, but it atleast sounds better than the statement by itself. I have no idea how he said it at the time, even if it was taken out of context.

But there is something in the rules of the internet where meantioning Nazi's kills threads ... oops

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Look, if what you're saying is racist/sexist/homophobic/etc., why do you feel the need to defend yourself before you even begin to speak? Usually, because it is whatever you're claiming it's not.
            But that's just how you personally choose to see it, and it's a flawed view. I choose to see it and intend it a different way, and if someone can't handle that, it's their problem. Not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
              But that's just how you personally choose to see it, and it's a flawed view. I choose to see it and intend it a different way, and if someone can't handle that, it's their problem. Not mine.
              If you are using it in a non-sexist/racist/etc. way, you shouldn't need a disclaimer to point out that it's not sexist/racist/etc. It should be obvious.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                If you are using it in a non-sexist/racist/etc. way, you shouldn't need a disclaimer to point out that it's not sexist/racist/etc. It should be obvious.
                Precisely.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                X