Windows Updates is pissing me off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Updates is pissing me off!

Every morning when I turn on the computer, it has to download shit. It freezes for 10 minutes while that damn spinning circle replaces the curser. While it's downloaded things before, it was never EVERY DAY and I don't remember it causing so much lag.

I don't know if this is some virus (I hope not), but what ever it is, it's annoying the hell out of me.

Is there a particular reason you shut your computer down as opposed to letting it go into sleep mode?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's better for the computer to shut it down properly.

There should be an option to change how windows update behaves, you can make it happen once a week or never if you like.

Comment

Sounds like someone has a virus. I don't think I've ever had Windows attempt to update itself every time I turn the computer on. Of course, I've turned that crap off--it got annoying, that as soon as I'd be playing a game, XP would be like "OK, nothing important going on here...time to download," and crash the fucking computer. Sick of this, I turned off my updates. Now if I could only do the same thing to Java and Adobe--seems that shit is *always* updating itself

Comment

I set my updates to notify when available then I can download & install on my terms... avoids the game crashes
          It may not be a bad idea to run malwarebytes & another AV just to be on the same side.

And I rarely turn my PC off, I think the only time it doesn't get put to sleep is when I have to reboot for updates

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            Is there a particular reason you shut your computer down as opposed to letting it go into sleep mode?
            ^-.-^
            Computers continue to draw power (although small amounts) while in sleep mode. I keep mine powered down to save hydro.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Sounds like someone has a virus. I don't think I've ever had Windows attempt to update itself every time I turn the computer on. Of course, I've turned that crap off--it got annoying, that as soon as I'd be playing a game, XP would be like "OK, nothing important going on here...time to download," and crash the fucking computer. Sick of this, I turned off my updates. Now if I could only do the same thing to Java and Adobe--seems that shit is *always* updating itself

Oh, yes, it is. So I ignore it for weeks. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU WANT TO UPDATE. I HAS POWER MWAHAHAHA. Er, sorry.
              "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

My computer is on pretty much 24/7. The $5-10 difference from when I didn't have a computer at all (that's both on while I'm home and on stand-by while I'm not) isn't enough to offset the disadvantages that can be associated with turning it off and on all the time.

Plus, it updates in the middle of the night, so I just have to log back in the next morning.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, set it to Notify you of updates, not download automatically. However, it does sound like something is greviously wrong >.>

Comment

Fuck. I think it might have been a virus. I got one of those faux anti virus programs try to download itself.

Hmm, maybe I should consider just leaving it on sleep mode for the night. Don't know why I never thought to do that before. Just habit I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                      Fuck. I think it might have been a virus. I got one of those faux anti virus programs try to download itself.

Hmm, maybe I should consider just leaving it on sleep mode for the night. Don't know why I never thought to do that before. Just habit I guess.
                      Grab yourself Avast or AVG, both are free and effective anti-virus measures.

Comment

Another option is Ad-Aware, which is also free, and is fairly effective at cleanup as well as prevention.

You will likely have to download a portable copy to a thumb drive or the like to be able to use it on an infected system.

^-.-^

Comment

I likes Malwarebytes...
                          "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I blame fucking Mcafee (sp?). It has to be the worst, most intrusive virus scan that doesn't even catch the bad viruses that it should. Hell, sometimes it won't even complete the scan without freezing. What kind of bull shit is that?

Comment

Norton is pretty bad too. I'm only using it on the laptop...since it came with that piece of shit already installed. Once the trial period is up, I'm dumping it.

Comment

Working...
                              X