Selective Insulting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_std View Post
    In the US, where you have more exposure to southerners, I would hope you make the effort to understand the way people talk in your country.
    Most non-Southerners do, from my experience. The only people who have given me a hard time about it have been from the Northeast - especially Philly, NYC, and Jersey*. Everyone else is either cool about it or genuinely curious, like my friend from Pittsburgh. A friend from Oklahoma and myself got her in the habit of saying "y'all" instead of "yinz."

*I guess it's because everyone there speaks with the perfect accent.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      Or, more simply put: When someone (can be anyone from a family member to a friend to an S/O to a coworker to a boss, whoever) can insult someone else or say whatever they want about someone else, but you can't, in fact, you get lashed at for insulting or making comments about the same person.
      Ugh. I get to see plenty of that at my parents' house. My dad will make nasty comments about some of my mother's relatives. After he does it, he'll whine later about how she's "upset" with him. Yet, if she does that to him, he flips

Lately, he's been blaming my mother... for "turning my brothers against his side of the family." He's pissed, because they want nothing to do with his younger sister and his mother. Never mind that both of them never paid much attention to us when we were younger. My two brothers and I are the *only* grandchildren on that side of the family...and we've always felt that they wanted nothing to do with us. How is what my aunt and grandparents did...my mother's fault?

Comment

Here are a few that really make me laugh.

Nothing .. nothing. I had a good friend, who happens to be Italian, and used this all the time. "Nothing, nothing but you are a punk." or the like.

Lordy Be. This one from my aunt...and I guess it was a version of 'bless your heart' type deal.

I hate to say this.. But you are arn't you?

Yeah, I heard a lot of the 'bless his/her heart' also.

Family is weird. We would kick, scream, holler, curse..but as soon as anybody else did something it was the Wall o' Family. Especially my mom..somebody even thought of hurting her or whatever there was about 20 guys suddenly standing in their path. Lol, but every one of those guys feared her . (/offtopic My mom is like 5'6", and if you asked any one of those guys...they'd rather fight all the other 19 then have my mom angry at them. Most were not even related to her..heck we had next door neighbors call her 'Ma').

Heck, me and my father are at odds..but I'd not sit by and let anybody not family insult him. Now .. if they are family *shrugs* he's on his own.

However, if you were a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife...you were family so you could get away with it.
        Last edited by Mytical; 02-20-2011, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          Most non-Southerners do, from my experience. The only people who have given me a hard time about it have been from the Northeast - especially Philly, NYC, and Jersey*. Everyone else is either cool about it or genuinely curious, like my friend from Pittsburgh. A friend from Oklahoma and myself got her in the habit of saying "y'all" instead of "yinz."

*I guess it's because everyone there speaks with the perfect accent.
          Eh, haters gonna hate.

It usually doesn't take much effort to understand other regional accents. But some phrases just either sound stupid or make no sense. For example, in Pennsylvania, west of Philly, people like to add the word "awhile" to sentences where it doesn't belong. Such as, "Would you all like some drinks, awhile?" What? That sentence has nothing to do with time. So why are you adding the word awhile to it? At least Canadians who use "eh" makes sense.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

God I can barely understand the LOCAL accents, and I grew up here. It's like, a sort of southern accent, and a sort of british accent. But not the "I sound smart and refined" british accent. More like "I have two large socks in my mouth" british. lol....if that makes any sense.

Comment

Working...
            X