Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love you too Sister Dear (a bit long and rambling)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love you too Sister Dear (a bit long and rambling)

Acually it is more of F U Sister dear but.....

this is more of a rant as there is nothing I can do about the situation described below. It has just BUGGED the crap outta me for the last 6 months.

a bit of background first
    I am the youngest of 4 children. youngest by 13 years (I was the ohhhhh memopause happening we can have more fun oppppssss baby or somehting like that). my "siblings are 13 (youngest sister), 15 (oldest sister) and 17 (brother first born obviously) years older than I thus causing "two" sets of children. mostly I do not really know my siblings, have never gotten the oppurtunity to get to know them because they have mostly moved out of the house by the time I reached conscienceness. by the time I was starting kindergarden, they were getting married, starting jobs, moving on to adult life, etc. before I was 8 years old they were having kids.

they are usually refered in my family to as the "other three".

I do know that I kinda "ruined" my parents "empty nest" type plans and it showed with their parneting style. and because of this differnece another divide was openned up. the others were allowed to do a LOT more things and participate in a LOT more outside activities than I ever did. I was activelly discourgaged or outright forbidden to even try out a lot of things.

unsurprisingly this created resentment in me. the other three got to do things I was not allowed to even think about.

I got/get along with my siblings on a somewhat superficial level as in no major fights or differences but there is litte communication between me and them.

end BG

fast forward to 1994

by this time I had graduated from college, gotten married, had a child, moved away from my birth city and started in a white collar profession. there was little contact between me and the "other three"

my Father died suddenly and the family gathered for the funeral. Brother gets a "staring role" in the funeral mass (Biblical readings and being allowed to speak "off the cuff" about our Father. I was given a very minior roll to perform.

fast forward again to 1999

our favorite aunt (Mom's sister) was sick for a while and finally passed on. again the family gathers for the funeral. again brother get center stage. again I am given the SAME minor task to perform. (see a pattern???)

fast forward again to last year

Mom has been sick for a while now so it was a question of when not if she would pass on. she passes in Sept ion a Saturday night after a summer of not really knowing who is who or what is real. when she passes there are plans in place for the funeral, just the details (such as the actual date of the funeral) need to be executed.

this time I had a week to think about things. THIS time I wanted to actually do something different. she was my Mother after all (though we did not always see eye to eye) I wanted to pay tribute to her.

5 years prior during the time my Ex and I were seperating, I had a poem come into my brain. it would not leave me alone until I wrote it down. it came out in about 2 hours of writing. it came out mostly whole with little editing/additions or subtractions. it was about the persons/people who come into your life and "guide" you through life.

now I should say at this point that in all of my schools years I hated poetry,hated reading it, studying it and writing it. I could NOT write a decent poem to save my life or get a decent grade.

but this one forced itself out of my brain.

I figured this was my last chance to pay "tribute" to my parents so I dug up the copy on my computer and looked it over.

my OS called me on Monday to discuss the details of the funeral. I get the details so I can let work know what the situation is on me takings time off at the end of the week. during the conversation I expressed my desire to get up and reading my poem as a tribute to our Mother

my OSs reaction was, needless to say, very out of character. her reaction was many steps above calm and collected. basically I was told there were NOT going to be any extenporious remarks by anyone, that brother was once again doing his staring role and I was once again to be performing my minor little task (same as the last 2 major funerals).

I tried to remain calm and explain my reasoning behind what I wanted to do and what was contained in my poem and how little time it would take to read my poem. NOPE not happening. NOT IN THE PLAN. NOT going to happen. NO way NO how.

needless to say I was devistated and a bit angry. and I resented it. I was dismissed and chastised like some "bad" little child who really did nothing wrong.

this was not me wanting to "grab the spotlight" but to pay one last tribute to the people who were my parents.

now I am at odds with myself as to how to feel towards my OS. she was usually the one to "stand up" for me and support me in my life's endevors. and no I have not really talked to her about this yet since it is still festering in my head.

I hate being treated like a little child even at the age of 50.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 02-28-2011, 07:20 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

That’s messed up. The last funeral I went to every child was allowed to go up and say their peace if they wanted to. Some of them simply couldn’t, they couldn’t talk through the tears and take the pressure of talking in public. The ones that did were given the time to do that. F**K your siblings. Say your peace at the funeral and if they cant deal with it that’s their problem. Its not you showing the cold heart here.

Comment

My immediate family doesn't really do funerals. I plan to have a wake, myself.

But it seems very bizarre to not let anyone but the eldest son say anything at all at the funeral.

Me being me, I'd say my piece and damn the consequences.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's horrible. Were your other siblings aware of your desire and if so, what did they think? It sounds like your sister at least still thinks you're a little kid and can't be trusted to behave decorously at your own mom's funeral.

Comment

Your siblings seem like assholes.

Comment

I have a suggestion that you could try I don't know how well it will work.

call your sister or whoever is in charge of the funeral and say:

"I am [age] years old, If I want to say something at my mother's funeral then I will god damn well say it. I refuse to sit at the kids table in this family anymore, I'm just as much her child as you are and if you have a problem with then too bad."

Insert as much profanity you think is appropriate.

Comment

I have to agree with others, you should be able to morn in your own way..and your siblings will just have to accept the fact.

Comment

after Plaids passing I finally got around to refinding what I wrote that I wanted to read at my Mom's Funeral as it could be applied for Plaid's stiuation also.

The Guide

Comment

That's beautiful, RM!!!

Comment

do the minor role, then right after (ie as soon as you are done) read the poem starting with "I would like to finish with a small something I wrote for my mother" if your siblings try anything smile and say "I know anyone who truly loved her would understand why I am saying this"

afterwards just cut off communication with them completely if they ask say "I am not a kid anymore but since you think I am I figured I would be the grown up and end the conversation so to speak rather then cause drama" and end it with that

people like that annoy me, even my older siblings treat me like an adult now (youngest of three myself) and treat me with some respect
                    I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

You should have read it at the funeral, and to hell with your sister.

She is your mother, you were saying goodbye, she has no right to say if you can, or not read it

this was visibly important to you, it was not THEIR funeral.

but then again, people tell me I am a bit too confrontational

Comment

I have 3 sisters and a brother and although I'm not the youngest its a similar situation.

Several things were always made clear. Lyn, the eldest is special because she's first born and beautiful, Jen, second eldest is special because she's smart and arty, Chris is special because hes the only boy and Penny is special because shes the blue eyed blond baby of the family.

I'm the boring one who's too sensible for her own good.

My siblings have received various amounts of parental help over the yrs. Lyn had her wedding paid for and was given the deposit for a house. Jen was given a substantial amount when she moved to Ireland. Chris got a car and a deposit for a house and Penny... Penny at the age of 22 has moved out and is getting her rent paid.

Then theres me. I've never been offered any help and have been turned down when I asked. I put myself through university. Brought my own house with a deposit I saved for. Families are impossible to explain and I have given up trying to explain mine.

Comment

RM,
                          1. That poem is gorgeous. You have talent.
                          2. Thanks for sharing a part of you with us. I know I'm not always brave enough to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Food Lady View Post
                            RM,
                            1. That poem is gorgeous. You have talent.
                            2. Thanks for sharing a part of you with us. I know I'm not always brave enough to do that.
                            Thank You FL every one who has read it over the years has had the same reaction

but as I said in the post over at over at CS this is the ONLY time I have been able to put together something like this and have it come out a) so fast and b) coherient. even in grade and secondary school I could not write anything even close to this caliber even if my life depeneded on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X