Snarky Meteorologists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snarky Meteorologists

One could argue that news anchors in general can be somewhat fake or snarky or irritating to watch in general, but I've noticed a trend with nearly all of them on every station here locally, and the assholes on the Weather Channel aren't any better.

What is with the snarky smile and attitude when bad weather, particularly snow, is in the forecast? Is that really necessary?

Nothing triggers my anger more than "Don't put those shovels away yet, there's more snow on deck for later this week, teeehehe!" or "That front may have missed us, but don't relax just yet, there's another front that has the potential for more snow on Thursday!" or "Some really nice, seasonal weather and sunshine for tomorrow, but there's a cold snap on the way and it's bringing some snnnnooooow with it!" with this smug little smile on their face.

And the Weather Channel people "Oh, and you people in the Twin Cities are just getting POUNDED with snow right now! Yep, 12 inches so far!" almost like it's funny or something.

There was one meterologist locally here (thank God he's gone), I swore he got a hard-on anytime there was snow, rain, or storms in the forecast, especially if there was going to be bad weather on the weekend. Like it gave him pleasure to deliver the news that everyone had to find something else to do this weekend, because we'd either be snowed in or it'd be too cold for outdoor activities or it'd be raining/storming during an important event. He was the worst of all, with his overall tone and facial expressions. Almost devil-ish whenever there was bad news.

Petty? Sure I am. I am sick of winter and snow in general. But that attitude really pisses me off. I don't think it's professional at all.

I've kind of noticed the same thing in my area, only for us, it's during the summer and regarding hot weather. (especially when it's in the 100+ degree range)

Comment

As one with a degree in meteorology*, I have little use for the local TV ones ('cept Scot Haney...he's funny not a great forecaster, but a great personality) I check NOAA for my forecasts...just the facts, thanks.

I do hate the cliched "don't put the shovels away yet," or "getting pounded" comments. My friend worked as a TV weather gal, and they powers that be wanted her to do that crap...got people watching or something. Agreed, it's very annoying to hear.

Then again, I do get excited when I know there is a major storm on the way....it's what I studied in school! So, yeah, we get a bit giddy about it...but I think the excitment should be kept in the weather circles, and forecasts should just be the coming weather.

*I have the degree, but not doing anthing with it.

Comment

I don't watch local news at all anymore - it's useless. I go to weather.com for forecasts, CNN for international/national news, and the local news website for local stuff.

Comment

I use accuweather for forecasts since weather.com is worthless internationally.

I get what you mean though. It's like they are super excited that people will be late/miss work, be forced to shovel a crapload of snow, and people will panic.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Don't blame the talking heads for the irritating mannerisms - they're following orders. Too many people like that fake perky crap, and it gets people watching. If all they presented was merely the facts, then there would be no reason for you to go to them as opposed to any of a million other sources such as The Weather Channel or Weather Underground.

Of course, that doesn't make it any less annoying. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I suppose when you otherwise have that hunted look, you kind of have to be fake-cheery just to try to even it out.

Comment

I guess you guys are right, they can't just tell it like it is because it's probably really unprofessional.

"And today, oh fuck it, another foot of snow.....just forget going to work tonight or tomorrow morning, alright? Oh and look at this shit coming our way, another half foot or more! Fuck this, I'm going to Arizona, I quit!"

Although in my opinion, they'd be more relatable if they sighed or showed more disgust or displeasure with cold snaps and lots of snow instead of that snerky happy "teehehehe look at this mess and all the accidents and people that missed work today!" attitude.

Comment

possibly human nature of that snarky smile because in that person's head, oh you guys are getting screwed and i get to go to my nice warm house far away from it or...their manager told them to. or worse they have to do it.

Or are just sadistic bastards
                  Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                  Yeah we're so over, over
                  Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

My local guy just complained about the cold snap coming our way tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                    X