Got The Verbal Shits Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got The Verbal Shits Again

What is wrong with the people I work with?

Last night, a few coworkers and I were having one of our nightly "Fratches" where we debate whatever the hell subject comes up.

I brought up how much the movie The Village sucks, and one of my coworkers wanted to know why. I said besides the obvious, I thought it was kind of pathetic that the elders raised all of the young people in that movie to believe that it was the 1800s and they purposely sent the blind girl to get medication so she wouldn't see that it was a closed in community, blah blah blah.

Idiot coworker then goes off on how there's nothing wrong with wanting a more simple time for your family, and that this world is so materialistic and there's so much to lose and hurt people nowadays that it's not such a bad thing, and then he even went as far as to say that he wishes life were that simple nowadays without technology and material things and selfish people.

What's wrong with that, you ask? It's his opinion. Let me explain.

While this coworker is quite often spouting off stuff like that, he is one of those "phone attached to my pocket" people who cannot go more than 2 hours without playing on it. I've caught him whipping it out while working to see if he has text messages. He even has a freaking Droid or whatever newer touch phone, and he's always streaming videos or playing games on his break with. Not only that, but he's an "artist" and uses the newest and greatest technology to try to get his big break in the "industry". Not to mention, next fall, he's going to be quitting to go to a super fancy university out of state where tuition is over $20,000 a semester.

So it's like, are you serious?

Sure, it was a stupid debate to pass the time, but it's like....don't argue with me that your personal opinion is that the times are bad and we should go back in time, when you'd certainly die without your precious cellphone to check FB every 2 hours or to play games or stream videos. Shut up.

The difference between theory and practice... I could see such a thorough dependence on modernity being, for some people, exactly *why* they'd think doing away with all of it might be better.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

We in the UK ran a reality program where we sent families back to the stone ages, the adults who signed up for the program were fine with the scenareo and could live without thier white goods tv and pub's.
      The children however were fidgety without something in their hands, as this was the early 00's mobiles weren't as wide spread (that I recall) so it would probably be something along the lines of game boy or some other gizmo tweenagers own.

The experiment failed as the children could not or would not suspend disbelief that they were "back in time" and this is the life they knew since birth, the only way this would have worked was to raise children in this environment, but that brings up ethical questions making the truman show look like an OK thing to do to a new born baby.

Comment

As much as I like to think I would be ok living as a hermit with no technology..I've went two weeks without a tv (had lights, computer, etc)..and thought it was the end of the world. While a simple life would be a good life, most people would be hard pressed to put away their tech. I'd be so bored within a month I would be banging my head on a wall.

Comment

I'm all for a blend of the simple life and technology. If I had the means to have a house and some land I would totally grow all my own vegetables and homemake as much stuff as I could, while keeping the HDTV And my android phone
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm a technophile, through and through.

I have no interest at all in a "simpler" life. I love my tv, my video games, my fancy touchscreen cell phone, or, say, the less obvious things like vaccinations.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In some ways, I do wish we lived in simpler times, but in others, I'd glad for the technology we have. We've been spoiled too much, and it's hard to get away.

I wouldn't live without my computer, unless I was pre-occupied with something else (like say, visiting a friend or on vacation). However, I don't watch TV at all; haven't even turned the damn thing on in at least 5 months. I do check my phone for a moment every few hours on my time off, but mainly it's to make sure my boss hasn't called me in or needs to ask me something. Takes all of 3 seconds.

It really annoys me that some people CAN'T separate themselves from technology at all. As I said, when I'm at home alone, I am addicted to my PC and I do admit that. But I don't need to check my phone every 20 minutes at work or update my facebook status every hour.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would describe a technology-free time as "simpler".

If electricity, cars, cell phones, and computers haven't made your life much fucking simpler than it would have been in at the turn of the century, you're doing it wrong.

Example:

I think I'd like to talk to my grandma today. I guess I'll bundle up, feed and harness the horses, attached them to the buggy, travel three hours over terrible roads to her house, and probably end up saying the night because of inclement weather.

Or I can just pull out my smartphone, press one button and say, "Call Grandma", and get connected instantly.

Oh yes, the "simpler" times before technology.

Comment

I guess my main issue was with his argument about how simple life would be so much better, yet he's a total techie junkie. Totally made him sound like an idiot.

Comment

There's the simple life, and then there's the primitive life. It's entirely possible to live simply while still enjoying modern technology. Even the Amish, who shun modern technology in their daily lives, make use of modern technology when it's for the good of the community.

Comment

In my opinion, the concept of simplicity has nothing to do with technology or modern conveniences in themselves. It has to do with the social mentality that is bred by the advent of technology and modern conveniences. For instance, a great many people have no patience because they expect instant gratification. One of the biggest complaints about cell phones is the rudeness of obnoxious users who show no regard for others around them while they jack their jaws to the person on the other end of the line. I could offer similar examples of my thoughts on this subject if I wanted to think about it. The bottom line is that the social attitudes bred by having technology and modern conveniences create needless strife and drama as people grow more lazy, selfish, and entitlement-minded. I don't fault the technology or modern conveniences for people behaving like spoiled brats. I fault people for choosing to behave like spoiled brats.

Comment

Working...
                      X