No announcement yet.

being pushed into attending church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, this is one of the issues which I'm going to have to deal with now that I'm living back at home - about the only "acceptable excuse" my mom has for not attending church is if I have to work on Sundays. And I think the fact that my daughter has changed her mind about confirmation class is what triggered some of it - Mom seems to think that if I was a regular attendee and all gung-ho about church stuff, "Heather" would be, too.

Comment

I have a question about confirmation: If it's supposed to be a declaration of your commitment to the faith (correct me if I'm wrong - I only know snippets about it), then why is it considered ok to push kids into doing it?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        I have a question about confirmation: If it's supposed to be a declaration of your commitment to the faith (correct me if I'm wrong - I only know snippets about it), then why is it considered ok to push kids into doing it?

^-.-^
        It’s suppose to be a declaration of ones acceptance of the religion and usually the denomination as well. Unlike a bar mitzvah that happens at a prescribed time, confirmation can take place at anytime and is one of the seven sacraments one can obtain. It is suppose to be freely done without any repercussions if the person decides not to. Its now usually done as a transitional period from childhood to adult hood.

However because its become a symbol of becoming an adult you have parents that have brought up their children and want to make sure that they are transitioning in to adult hood correctly. Following the religion that they’ve taught their children is a very big issue for a lot of parents. And when your young, still living with Mom and Dad kids will do things that make their parents happy or at least family peace. So even if you don’t really believe what their teaching you’ll get 13+ year olds who will go through these ceremonies.

Look at me, I went through it twice just to shut my Father up. If it’s a choice of rattling of some prayers or getting to hear how your going to hell for months/years/until you move, well then you rattle of the prayers. Hell I still haven’t told them I’m agnostic because it keeps family peace. Yet strangely I’m the one that insists the kids go to church so they get some religious training.

Comment

Working...
        X