Stupid f*cking computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid f*cking computer!

My laptop just epically died. It blue-screened with a "kernel" something or other error, so I restarted. And then it went to this screen that said media or something can't be found or died or whatever, so "check your cable" [whatever the fuck that means]...and that the operating system can't be found.

What. the. fuck.

Seriously. At least there's a 24/7 computer lab in my dorm. And I do have my "new" laptop I bought off my dad. But all my stuff is on the old computer and I was planning to send it to someone. Unless it magically fixes itself, I somehow fix it, or a computer tech fixes it, I'm fucked.
    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Originally posted by Eisa View Post
    My laptop just epically died. It blue-screened with a "kernel" something or other error, so I restarted. And then it went to this screen that said media or something can't be found or died or whatever, so "check your cable" [whatever the fuck that means]...and that the operating system can't be found.
    Bad hard drive is bad. But at least it sounds like a singular part that has perished. Laptop parts are kind of a bitch though.

Comment

Yeah. All I can tell from Google is probably the hard drive died. So in that case, if I want anything, I have to go to data recovery and Gawd knows how much that costs...kind of debating its worth right now!

Also sucks ass because I don't have any kind of XP recovery CD. I bought it used. So...nothing. And I don't think it would work with, say, Microsoft 7 [Vista maybe.]

DAMNIT why couldn't I have transferred shit already...I have an external hard drive...problem is I suck at actually keeping any sort of back-up on it.

...which means my bf is probably going to yell at me for that, and for good reason. I should have backed stuff up. Then at least it would probably only be super recent shit I was having a problem with.
      "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Yeah. All I can tell from Google is probably the hard drive died. So in that case, if I want anything, I have to go to data recovery and Gawd knows how much that costs...kind of debating its worth right now!
        Data recovery is never worth it unless you're, say, an entire business that just lost a server rack or something. For a personal machine? No way, probably cost more than the laptop itself does. Software data recovery can be pulled off with some shareware apps. Hardware data recovery would cost some serious $.

If you have an external, you could install Windows on it in the meantime and just boot off the external HD. It would be cumbersome but you'd at least have a functional laptop for the time being. You'd also be able to do a software data recovery on the other HD if you booted off the external.

As long as you have your Windows XP CD key ( Likely on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop ) you can reinstall it off any XP disk. If you know anyone you could bum the install disk off of or otherwise find a copy of XP. All that matters is you have a legit key.
        Last edited by Gravekeeper; 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...nothing on my laptop is worth that kind of money!

I hadn't thought of that...that's a great idea! I'm not sure if it has the key on the bottom...I'll have to look. I would love to be able to recover everything off my laptop. Cuz I was thinking about everything and while it's true, I don't have anything that's like *MEGA IMPORTANT*, it would be a giant pain in the ass to lose, you know? I've already kind of had that happen before. My dad decided to get rid of our desktop computer without letting me get anything off it first. I had SO much writing on that hard drive, it's not even funny. Novels worth, actually. And maybe they sucked, but still. He didn't care. *sighs*

My external is one terabyte, too, I think. So it should be able to hold everything, considering my laptop had only a pathetic amount of memory and all that. Everyone I mentioned the amount to thought it amazing that I could function.

Comment

Eisa this time, consider cloud storage. Often there are places that offer gigs worth FREE to store your data and recover it later. Just don't put anything business, password, etc related on them. I personally like dell data safe.

Here are some other examples should you get interested http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-best-...nline-storage/
            Last edited by Mytical; 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

II'm not sure if it has the key on the bottom...I'll have to look.
              Most laptops have the Windows serial sticker on the bottom. If not, any Windows OS, from XP and up, will install with any key you can find even if its not legit as long as you don't activate the key online during installation. This will limit the OS, and it will shut down on you after 30 days like shareware. However, it will give you a working OS long enough to recover your other HD ( and perhaps your original XP key out of the registry ) and give you a working computer long enough to figure something else out.

Originally posted by Mytical
              Eisa this time, consider cloud storage. Often there are places that offer gigs worth FREE to store your data and recover it later. Just don't put anything business, password, etc related on them. I personally like dell data safe.
              I use Dropbox as offsite storage, and keep a back up on a thumb drive. Which is in my pocket at all times. >.>

Comment

Does your campus have it's own help desk for the students there? If so, see if they might have access to a program called On Track Easy Recovery. I was lucky enough to land a copy of it through my job and it's great for getting data off drives that are hosed.

Also.... Sometimes, depending on the error that you're getting, you can rebuild the boot sector of the hard drive and get it working again with commands like Fixboot and Fixmbr.

*Addition*
                Most laptops nowadays don't come with a recovery CD. The recovery software is on its own partition on the drive. There is usually a prompt to hit F10 or F12 when you first turn it on.
                Last edited by crashhelmet; 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM. Reason: addition and typos
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Most laptops nowadays don't come with a recovery CD. The recovery software is on its own partition on the drive. There is usually a prompt to hit F10 or F12 when you first turn it on.
                  And how useful do they expect that to be if the drive no longer works?
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah, exactly. It won't turn on. I can input the password and then it goes RIGHT to "operating system cannot be found." And there was a clicking sound when turning it off that I didn't connect until last night looking up if there were any other options beyond "hard drive died." That's like...the sound apparently to tell you that your hard drive died. Oh well.

They do have a help desk, but the help desk is pretty much epic fail. Still, they might have that program...I don't know. I can't remember what the blue-screen error was...all I know is that it started with "kernel" something, which is also apparently a really, really bad sign.

Comment

It means the vent is clogged with popcorn bits. Have you been eating at the keyboard again?

(DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE IS AN ATTEMPTED JOKE)

It might just be the computer's way of saying "hold on, where did the OS go? I can't work like this, I quit!"
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Of course I haven't!

LOL you know, that might actually be the problem? Or at least...adding to it?

Comment

Of course I haven't!

LOL you know, that might actually be the problem? Or at least...adding to it?
                          If you blue screened on a kernal error, that is actually the problem. Specifically "Oh shi-, where'd the OS go?!"

Comment

There is a distinct difference between "Operating System Not Found" and "Hard Disk Not Found" or "Hard Disk Failure"

When you first power the computer on, you get the POST screen. Some manufacturers overlay their logo, but it's typically where you see the memory count up and other tests done. There are typically a few prompts in the corners. They give options for entering setup, BIOS, restore partition, etc. Your options are usually F2, F10, F12, or the DEL key. It varies depending on who the manufacturer is and what BIOS they're using. This is all long before it even tries to boot into Windows.

If you don't see these prompts, start pressing those keys anyway as fast as you can.

Some manufacturers even provide a set of diagnostic tests within the restore partition that will help tell you if the drive is in fact toast or not.
                            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Hmm. The only prompt I know of is that I can get into the BIOS set-up, but of course, I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm...wary of really changing things! But I've never seen anything for a restore partition or anything like that. I have an IBM Thinkpad if that helps LOL. Can't recall exact model off the top of my head, though. But I can try pressing the F- keys and see what happens...

Comment

Working...
                              X