Car Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Accident

I was in a car accident the Friday before last. It was in the morning on my way to work. I was in a turn lane, about to get on the highway, and a guy in the lane turned into my lane without seeing me, and we ran into each other. At first, it didn't look like there was a whole lot of damage done to my car, but when I had the estimate done, it was estimated at shortly over $2,000 worth of damage. It was mainly to my front fender. Also, the driver's side door won't open.

Sure, I don't like the fact that I had an accident. I wish I could have avoided it. However, that's really not what is bothering me. After all, I'm 29 years old, and that's the first accident I ever had that involved another person. The only other accident I've had is the time I hit a deer. Honestly, I think it's pretty good that I went that long without at least getting into a fender bender with someone.

Here's the part I hate. The other guy's insurance company is paying for a rental car for me to use while my car is in repair. Fair enough. However, they're asking me to pay for it myself and then fax them the paperwork so they can reimburse me. On the surface, that sounds fair, but damn it, it kind of hurts to fork over that kind of money out of my pocket, even though I am supposed to get it back.

On top of that, my insurance policy won't cover me in a rental car, so I had to buy the rental insurance, which doubled the cost of the rental. So far, I've given about $300 for this rental car, and that's just until tomorrow, and I know I'm going to have to keep the thing for longer than that. In addition, I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that this guy's insurance company is going to balk at paying for the rental insurance on top of the cost of renting the car.

Who is that other guy insured by? They sound like they're going to try to stiff you on the rental costs.

They guy that totaled my Volvo had All State, and they paid for and even arranged everything as regards the rental until I got the payment for the value of my car. They even let me keep it an extra weekend to attend a convention (I was a vendor) that I couldn't afford a rental car for.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

He's with Wayne Mutual Insurance.

I don't think they're a very big company. They seem to be concentrated in this general area.

I did think it was kind of strange that they asked me to do that, my accident has attracted the attention of a few lawyers here in town who have sent me their info, so if they do try to stiff me, I'll know who to call.

This is the first time I've had an accident with another person, so I've been pretty much learning this as I go through it.

Comment

Hey, you had your accident after I had mine. I still haven't been able to get a hold of anybody from the other insurance about the claim.

It sucks.
        I has a blog!

Comment

Car accidents can be tetchy even if they're not your fault.

However, I am crossing my fingers and hoping to be able to pocket some of the money from the damages. However, I'm not going to hold my breath on that, since the appraiser faxed a copy of his appraisal to the dealership where I'm having the repairs done. Apparently, that's how they do things these days.

I just want this all to be over and for me to have all the money I'm entitled to. I know other people have been through worse, and yeah, this accident was pretty mild. Still, I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to money.

Comment

Working...
          X