X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural stuff

"That's not a real vampire! REAL vampires don't sparkle in the light."

Ummm....

Ya know what. I had a whole big rant about this, but now that I look at it, just that sentence up there pretty much covers it. Feel free to discuss.

Errrr there are no real vampires damn it! I wish there were cause I like them. I don't mean the traditional ones either but the ones in the Sookie Stackhouse/tru blood series. They are dead sexy
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Hey, goddess....only 3 months until the next season I can't wait!

If I had my pick, yeah, I'd agree the Tru Blood supernatural characters are the best.

I only wish Sookie would drop Bill for that sexy werewolf. I'm a complete vampire fan, but wow was that guy freaking sexy, and he never did anything to hurt her. What happened last season made me kinda hate Bill a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        Hey, goddess....only 3 months until the next season I can't wait!

If I had my pick, yeah, I'd agree the Tru Blood supernatural characters are the best.

I only wish Sookie would drop Bill for that sexy werewolf. I'm a complete vampire fan, but wow was that guy freaking sexy, and he never did anything to hurt her. What happened last season made me kinda hate Bill a little bit.
        I've been reading ahead in the books and as far as I can tell they are sorta following book 4 closely.....and I know what happens with Bill/Sookie/etc...and I'm not telling

But yeah I'm anxious for the next season. Dead sexy

Comment

While the phrasing isn't great (cause vampires aren't real of course), I think when people say that they mean that the well written/created vampires don't sparkle (or basically aren't Twivamps)

Also, super excited for True Blood! *squee*

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
            While the phrasing isn't great (cause vampires aren't real of course), I think when people say that they mean that the well written/created vampires don't sparkle (or basically aren't Twivamps)

Also, super excited for True Blood! *squee*
            I have to admit I like the Twilight books...the movies are kinda meh to me and I am intrigued by the sparkling vampire in daylight thing....but I still like the true blood ones better.

Comment

I've always been an Angel fan, something about how he can be a really nice guy and a little goofy but when the shit is on he turns into a total badass.

He actually felt like he had depth to me rather than other characters.

There's nothing to say about twilight that hasn't been said already. In regards to true blood we were first exposed to that when my dad found one of the audio books for a quarter and we tried it for a laugh, it was really fun to listen to for just how the author describes everything with 15 different adjectives, it's one thing to read them but to listen to the voice with a slight accent read them out to you in detail it really highlights them. That series has potential but the male harem thing that seems to happen bugs me a little.

Comment

What I find hilarious is the way some of the Twitards act as tho the books are this beacon of originality, as tho no-one ever thought of writing a series about humans and supernatural creatures falling in love. XXD

Well for one, there's the Night World series by L J Smith. Far better characters, superior writing and themes. And there are tons of books on the subject, far too many to list.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I've always been an Angel fan, something about how he can be a really nice guy and a little goofy but when the shit is on he turns into a total badass.

He actually felt like he had depth to me rather than other characters.
                  YES! I'm a huge Buffyvamp fan, especially Angel.

Comment

Well, some new-agey types would say that there are real vampires, they're just psychic. And of course some people DO drink blood, but that's psychological. My friend Brighid said she was a vampire, but she also said she was the savior of humankind once.

Neither of those sparkle, though.
                    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Yes but the point is that no one really knows this stuff. Sure, in vampire myth A, they don't sparkle. In vampire myth B, they have no interest in sex. In vampire myth C, they don't whatever....who the hell knows about vampires? We can't evne get christianity straight without everyone fighting about it.

Comment

Can I please add "They stole from WoW" to this? Pretty please? As if 90% of WoW's things were not stolen from other areas..and they are the absolute pentacle of originality/creativity. Sorry..didn't mean to threadjack..but you are correct. As much as I am no fan of Twilight..my idea of a zombie wouldn't 'die' (technically die again?) if shot in the head..or had its head cut off..or...there I go again...

Comment

The great thing about vampire myths is you can make up whatever shit you want, and have vampires do whatever you want. Another branch of vampire lore I love is the film John Carpenter's Vampires and Vampires: Los Muertos. There is a hint of sexuality but not blatant. And never actually happens as far as I can tell.

So that's three distinctively different flavors of vampire legends that are all great, and that I can really get into. Someone else will come up with a different kind of vampire story.

Comment

Exactly and none of them are wrong because none of them are real.

Comment

The main thing that bothers me about stories involving supernatural creatures is when they're not internally consistent. If you take a series of books or a tv series, for instance, and they start off with a certain set of rules for their universe, then by the third book or third season they change some of the rules, it feels like you've been betrayed by the writer(s).

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know I've experienced this before.
                              "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Working...
                              X