Collector's license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collector's license plates

Some states have special license plates for "collectors" cars. Ours are red lettering on a blue background.

Just because your car is 25 years old or whatever doesn't mean it's a collector's car. I'm talking to you, the guy in the '82 Chevy Celebrity. That thing you're driving is not a collector's car. It's a rusted-out, smoking shitheap that belongs in the junkyard already.

You too, the person in the camo-painted Chevy Blazer. The only "collector" who'd ever be interested in that thing is a collector of junk cars.

rofl....you have a good point there.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I am cracking up! I always laugh and laugh when I see these on the roads here.

I think it's 30 years for our our collector plates, but I once saw a rusted out pinto with one. I don't know what was more shocking: The fact that a pinto had collectors plates or the fact that it was still on the road.

Comment

My MG has classic plates on it. Years ago, these would have been purple and silver. Now, they're the same boring colors as the other plates. Most of the time, they're on classic cars--MGBs, street rods, etc. Occasionally though, you see them on shitbox pickups. I can't quite see the point of that--you're only allowed 3,500 miles a year, can't drive the vehicle every day to work, and still have to get an annual safety inspection. The *only* benefit I can see, is that the plates never expire--you pay a one-time fee of $50, instead of the $40 renewal fee on regular tags.

Comment

I think it exempts you from emissions requirements, though.

Call them "antique" instead of "collector" and it makes sense for anything of that age

And if you have a "shitbox pickup" that you only use, say, to take trash to the dump or when you need to haul something, it might well be under the mileage limit anyway, so there's no downside to having the special tag.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

My brother has collector plates for his Fiero. I think the thing with collector plates is if you have a vehicle that's 20-25 years old (I think that's the minimum), you can get those plates and not have to pay the registration fee for x many years.

Comment

Working...
            X