Employment Sudden Death Overtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Sudden Death Overtime

When I say overtime I don't mean working 40hrs+ a week. The employment overtime I refer to is when someone by all regards SHOULD BE fired but instead, you throw them into Sudden Death Overtime to find out if there will be a change of events. At our work it seems you can accumulate a stunning amount of out right fuck-ups and not even come remotely close to losing your job. However for the special few, they end up with a final write up notice, meaning one more strike NO QUESTIONS ASKED YOUR GONE!

We have an employee who ended up with one of these write ups recently, and according to a member of upper management who isn't tied to us but shares same position as our guy who calls the shot, wouldn't have even been given their last chance had they been calling our shots.

More recently, that chance was blown because of being late and getting FIRED, that was until, Upper management said, well give them on more shot and issue ANOTHER, final write up..... I'm sorry but wasn't the point of the final write up the fact your in shit and if you get one more your ass is getting fired????? Now, I could see if said employee was given a final write up a year or so ago, and they are deciding that well, they have turned around, but no, said employee was issued a final notice maybe 2 weeks ago.

WHY THE HELL, do they still have a job? This isn't even about someone doing a bunch of dumb shit and not getting wrote up. Employee is severely documented. and worse yet most employees even most of our lower management would love to said the employee in question out the door.

I hate to keep bringing up old grudges and wounds, but that's how things with DV went. Like you describe, it wasn't just hear/say gossip about what he'd done or if he was liked or not. He had been spoken to multiple times by the boss (and when that didn't phase him, HR!) and he was officially on his final warning from HR about being shit canned if he missed anymore work. In the end, he quit because the workplace went smoke-free, but we were all figuring that if he'd pulled another skip a day or two to think if he really wants this job or not, he'd STILL have a job and then be on final final warning, with however many more "finals" to come after that! After what he'd pulled during Thanksgiving week (up and moved away and took a day or two to re-consider), which ANYONE else would have been fired or written up over, he came back consequence free, just a verbal warning!

I don't get it, either. Also in the past, we've had people who have been nailed by HR for harrassment, sexual harrassment, nepotism, something similar to nepotism but technically isn't....people who aren't supposed to date end up dating, people who have lost their shit on more than a few occasions and have caused MAJOR scenes...........and they still have jobs!

A decent worker would never even get to final warning. Sometimes a warning would be pushing it. But these worthless sacks of shits get final final final final final final final final final warning.
    Last edited by blas87; 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I've only ever been given one final warning, working in a nightclub for less than a week.
      My first and only ever warning from them was a final warning, I asked who was meant to give me my first warning and they said this is it, how the fuck is anyone to know they made a mistake to learn from if no one ever tells you.

The kicker is that it was too many higherups interupting my proven method of working (that was shown to me by my imediate supervisor) to do it their way, then someone would say, do it this way, and a third only for the first to come back.
      So as I wasn't finishing the week trial cos of it, I told em they were the problem and they couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.
      But that place went through staff like no bodys business, I think everyone in Cambridge has worked there atleast once.

Comment

This happens because a high turnover rate costs a company a lot of money. They have to train someone, spend money to recruit someone (good companies dont have to look hard for new employees they just have to make certain they are good employees). Also firing someone is almost like giving them unemployment. Even if the unemployment gets denied it still costs the company money to fight it. So companies prefer to hassle an employee until they quit since it costs less to keep the person around even with all the screw ups than it does to fire them.

As a result the rest of us have to work even harder to make up for it.

Comment

Where I work there is only one person on shift, and you have to wait on the next person to show up before you leave. So if they decide not to show up then you wind up working a double shift or being stuck at work until they can send someone in to cover the shift.

About a year ago one of my co-workers who relieves me in the morning didn't want to work his shift on this particular day. So he called our supervisor and asked if there was any way he could get the day off or find someone to cover his shift. My boss said no, because we were already down one person (he was having surgery). My co-worker said, "Ok don't worry about it I'll just come in."

So the next morning he doesn't show up. I tried calling him multiple times and left a message but couldn't get ahold of him. I wound up working a 16 hour shift. My husband wasn't happy because he picks me up in the mornings from work and it was wasting his gas to have to make two trips to my job. I also didn't pack another lunch and I didn't have money so I had to borrow money from my husband just so I could get something to eat.

My co-worker called our boss about 15 minutes before his shift was supposed to end and he claimed that he woke up not feeling well and couldn't find his cell phone. In my opinion he should've been fired, especially given the conversation he had with our supervisor the night before. But no they just wrote him and said it was his final warning.

So the week after that was Valentine's Day, and once again he doesn't show up and I can't get ahold of him again. Except this time he was supposed to work a double shift since we were still short one employee. So I wound up working from 10:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. because no one else could get in here until then. After that he was supposed to have been fired but they decided to give him one last shot which he finally blew by showing up to work late the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by boringscreenname View Post
            Where I work there is only one person on shift, and you have to wait on the next person to show up before you leave. So if they decide not to show up then you wind up working a double shift or being stuck at work until they can send someone in to cover the shift.

for 3rds we have this setup, so late seconds you might not realize till the time your supposed to leave that someone didn't show up at which point I inform management that they didn't show up, I might make a few calls to speed the process up and directly know who is coming in when and then inform management. However, I also tell management I'm leaving at X, you can either be here when that happens or not worry about it till you arrive Y HOURS later.

The way I see it, I get no benefits for working a double, I don't have a TV, we don't get breaks, I'm not allowed to sit down so...... I'm not fucking working a double, that also when I was doing 40hrs a week. they would just take those extra hours away and "give" me a day off. FUCK no, I want time and a half if I'm gonna work an extra 4-5hrs of an 8hr shift because the only manager to agree to come in is the one I like that has to deal with finding a baby sitter. but Still, he gets paid significantly higher and part of that pay is dealing with shit.

I'm sorry if someone constantly calls off with no notice, shows up hours late, etc etc, they are GOING TO KEEP DOING IT!!!!

Comment

Whenever it happens at my job, I call my supervisor to make him aware of the situation and then I call our corporate office. They just tell me to stay at the site until they can find someone else to come in. A lot of the time they can't find anyone so I'm just stuck.

I can't really refuse to stay because it's written in our handbook that you must stay on-site until your relief arrives. If you refuse to do so, or leave before your relief shows up then you'll be fired, because it's considered abandoning your post. And it's written into our contract that the site must have 24/7/365 coverage, so someone not being there isn't really an option.

But I don't really mind because they will give me the 8 hours of overtime, plus I only 2 hours of work then I can do whatever I want for the rest of the shift. It sucks getting stuck with unexpected overtime but I just deal with it. It's only happened about 3 times in the 2 years I've been working there and once was because of a medical emergency which I understand.

We also have a policy that states you must call off 4 hours before your scheduled shifts unless it's an emergency. If you don't then you get written up, and after 3 write-ups you're fired and a no call no show is an automatic firing.

Comment

Originally posted by boringscreenname View Post
                So I wound up working from 10:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. because no one else could get in here until then.
                Am I reading this right, you worked a 20 hour shift?
                And why am I expecting you to then need to be back in at 10:30 to do another 12 or 16 hour day?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                  Am I reading this right, you worked a 20 hour shift?
                  And why am I expecting you to then need to be back in at 10:30 to do another 12 or 16 hour day?
                  I am thinking the same thing, at which point I think is corporate BS. The people in charge should be required to relieve you within at MOST 2hrs, doing a 20hr shift is employee abuse, even fire fighters that do 24hr shifts, get to sleep and then don't necessarily get called out all the time.

Comment

Yep it was a 20 hour shift. I worked my regular shift from 10:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. then I worked 1st shift from 6:30 to 2:30 and half of second until 6:30.

My supervisor was supposed to come in at 2:30, and I would've only worked 16 hours. But for some reason he wasn't able to make it in until 6:30 so I got stuck working a 20 hour shift. Then after that he worked from 6:30 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. the next day, so he worked a 20 hour shift as well. So at least I didn't have to come back that night but it still sucked.

I originally called Corporate when my co-worker didn't show up. They asked me to stay there until they could find someone. Then I called my Supervisor who said he would handle the situation, then he called me back later saying he' gotten everything taken care of and had talked to Corporate and that he would be coming in but couldn't make it in until 6:30. Corporate was not happy when they found out about it, when he faxed over the pay roll and he got chewed out over it, but that's all they did. Fortunately that's never happened again. I have still worked double shifts though which are 16 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X